1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google offers free phone service

Discussion in 'Google' started by EdenView, Jan 23, 2005.

Google gears up for a free-phone challenge to BT
    By Elizabeth Judge, Telecoms Correspondent
    GOOGLE revolutionised the internet. Now it is hoping to do the same with our phones.

The company behind the US-based internet search engine looks set to launch a free telephone service that links users via a broadband internet connection using a headset and home computer.

The technology that will enable Google to move in on the market has been around for some time. Software by the London-based company, Skype, has been downloaded nearly 54 million times around the world but no large telecommunication firms have properly exploited it.

BT, which connects seven out of ten British households, has developed its own internet-telephone service. However, the telephone giant, which has the most to lose if the new technology takes off, has been reluctant to promote it heavily.

Julian Hewitt, senior partner at Ovum, a telecoms consultancy, said: “From a telecoms perspective there is a big appeal in the fact that Google is a search operation — and of course the Google brand is a huge draw.”

Mr Hewitt said that a Google telephone service could be made to link with the Google search engine, which already conducts half of all internet inquiries made around the world. A surfer looking for a clothes retailer could simply find the web site and click on the screen to speak to the shop.

The basic cost of making calls across the internet is almost nil. The real cost is in developing the software; after that, the service exploits available internet capacity. However, charging does become necessary to link internet calls with the traditional phone network.

In addition, the sound quality of calls across the internet can be poor and the connections can be less reliable.

A recent job advert by Google’s on its website calls for a “strategic negotiator” to help the company to provide a “global backbone network” — a high-capacity international infrastructure.

By investing in capacity, Google could circumvent the problems of quality and reliability and guarantee better service.

Although Google is reluctant to talk about its plans, the logical use of such a network would be to help to support a new telephone service. The company would buy capacity cheaply, by taking up slack capacity left behind when the internet bubble collapsed in 2001.

Around the world, thousands of miles of fibre-optic cable remain unused because the amount of speculative development vastly exceeded demand. Such capacity would be available at rock-bottom prices today.

Elsewhere in the world, using the internet to make phone calls has caught on more quickly. In Japan 10 per cent of households already use the so-called “voice over internet protocol” and an internet service offered by Softband has 4.4 million subscribers. Its growth has depressed revenues of the local telecom group, NTT.

In the US, a company called Vonage offers customers unlimited calls each month for as little as $24 (less than £13).

Big companies and multinationals that make huge numbers of long-distance calls are also increasingly switching to internet calls to try to slash their bills.

Google, which was founded in 1996, built its business from scratch by offering a fast, reliable and free internet search. It gradually transformed into a highly profitable company by offering commercial services, including sponsored web links.

Its most up-to-date figures show that, in the first nine months of 2004, Google made a profit of $195 million on revenues of $2.1 billion.

START OF THE BIG SEARCH
    # Stanford University graduate students Sergey Brin and Larry Page began working on Google’s search-engine technology in 1996 when they were in their early twenties

# They tried to find a buyer for their work but were forced to set up their own company in 1998 because nobody was interested

# Two years later Google became the biggest search engine on the web

# Google was forced to go public during 2004, so that some of its founding investors could make a profit. The company raised $26 million; its initial market value at float was one thousand times greater
    # The company’s motto is “Don’t Be Evil”

EdenView, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  2. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    very interesting. With google gulping up picasso and keyhole and opening up desktop search, I wouldn't be surprised if google offered a product like this. They are trying to acquire as much desktop space real estate as possible.

Do you have a URL to this story?

roadies, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  3. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be more excited if they were offering a VOIP service like Vonage...

Bernard, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I use Skype.. Works really nice... I wonder though with Google.. Would we get contextual ads halfway the converstaion?

T0PS3O, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I downloaded Skype the other day... Seems quite cool...

Now if it had a Google badge on it, I wonder how long it would take before everyone used it...

Not only would Google include VOIP for their product, but they'd also use IM or something along with it...

Is this the beginning of the end for MSN Messenger and Yahoo! IM?

SEbasic, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  6. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    personally i wouldnt use it, i dont like usingphones as it is but when im on the phone it seems stupid to be at a computer aswel as you cant do 2 things at once, thats for my social life, for business on the other hand it would probably be a good idea and it would save money, instead of the need for phone and broadband you could just get broadband.

Also another point i cant see how the fact that because its google doing it it should make any difference. I personally try to avoid google now i think they are becoming way too big.

tony84, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  7. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, do you use microsoft :)

2003m2003, Jan 24, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    haha, that's a good one.

So just because they are big, that automatcally makes them bad?

mopacfan, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  9. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    my site is ranked #3 in yahoo and #2 in msn for "voip implementation"

I think I should be able to do something with this....I sell phone systems etc...do you think it would be possible to sell T1's-Broadband on-line?
    We do it a little now---mortar/bricks...

ROAR, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  10. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    It sounds like Google will use Skype. Is this wrong?

This is nice. Phone and computers will become one soon. At CES this year companies like D-Link and Voiceglo presented a USB phone.

This phone will work with any VoIP service like Skype. I believe.
    And for those who are weary ... imagine a bluetooth headset that you wear that doubles as a USB phone and headphones.

Phones and computers will get much bigger this year, if not next. Especially if Google joins in.

Such Great Heights, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  11. seoxperts

seoxperts Peon

Best Answers:
    did anybody register goophone.com ;)

Also, is Skype not from the same guys as Napster ?

seoxperts, Jan 24, 2005 IP
  12. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Skype is from the same group that brought us Kazaa.

Such Great Heights, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  13. szynka

szynka Peon

Best Answers:
    So google stoped being good search engine and tries to compensate with Voice over ip.

szynka, Mar 31, 2005 IP
  14. petergray

petergray Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use skype and it works great

petergray, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  15. Genesis1

Genesis1 Peon

Best Answers:
    skype is good, but google voice is what is a real thing

Genesis1, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  16. y2kyasir

y2kyasir Member

Best Answers:
    wow that was some real information, thanks for telling it to us. Google phone like nexus one was also the best looking phones i guess

y2kyasir, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  17. no69_2007

no69_2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    any official announcments?

no69_2007, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  18. TracSpace

TracSpace Peon

Best Answers:
    i heard they offer unlimited calling to the USA via GoogleTalk. I'm not sure about this but I read an article on the internet something about free calls to US & Canada using their messenger.

TracSpace, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  19. polars

polars Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using Skype.

polars, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  20. Getrealnow

Getrealnow Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone used Google talk on a mobile phone?

Getrealnow, Jan 27, 2011 IP