1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google No Longer Suggests Directory Submission.....???

Discussion in 'Google' started by seo2u, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Resident79

Resident79 Peon

Best Answers:
    99% of the directories are useless I would say. But I do not think that Google will ignore all of them in the future.

But that is only what I think.

Resident79, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Could you please show me the proof?

I dont want "what you think is going on" but proof to back your statements. :rolleyes:
    Shouldn't then all directories be banned or not indexed by google if your statement was true?

All i noticed was they dont want to send yahoo any sales or business
    and the fact that its not mandated/forced that you back-link to anyone

If what you say is "true" that links from "directories are no good" or not counted then why
    do they exist in serps? HERE from a directory listing HERE

@ trichnosis

Are you blind? or stupid..

why did you start an identical post to one that has already been posted?

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1051962

PS....

If anyone feels that "directories" arent worthy then use google "adwords" like they want you too

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 11, 2008 IP
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  3. Jasmine998

Jasmine998 Peon

Best Answers:
    So true, the niche I'm in, the guy that has the #1 site in that niche is also a mod at DMOZ and ever since he became the mod, no new sites (in that niche) have a DMOZ listing.

Jasmine998, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  4. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you want to say a think, pls do it kindly

trichnosis, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  5. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    chill out guys..
    Anyway, Importance of submitting to Free Directories will never fall down IMO.

Abhik, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  6. Heather48DD

Heather48DD Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Google wants to own to market as a whole, get ride of other directories and use their and wipe off the competition, it's simple logic when you are now the biggest game in town, or the world.
    Still billions of people use yahoo,alta vista,web crawler and many other sites world wide and directories. And you'll still need back links.
    If you want to check your own backlinks and see how many ya have, then type in on yahoo ( Linkdomain:yourwebsite.com and don't use the (http://www.yourwebsite.com) just use the ( yourwebsite.com )

Heather48DD, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  7. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    I am being "kind"

Being that you have so many posts (senior member) i would have thought
    you would "check" before you blindly post threads.

Also since you are a "dis-believer" then check out the example i posted above

And if you look up "adult url directory" then you will see it has "authority search links"

So its very evident that google only removed that "text" so they dont send business or $$$ to Yahoo or "others"

laterz
    malcolm

8. kidsnscience

kidsnscience Banned

Best Answers:
    quality directory is still useful for new website

kidsnscience, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  9. SEMSpot

SEMSpot Peon

Best Answers:
    Proof would be sellmytimesharenow dot com who used to have thousands and thousands of backlinks in google (mainly through directories) and now they are showing hardly any compared to what they had a month ago. There was also a thread on DP (delted now) where Hosty-Crocodile said the following:

I asked on the Google Webmaster Help (On Google Groups) about why my rankings had gone down massively. The response was because most of my links were from directories, and I’ve seen my links in Google Webmaster Tools go down from around 20,000 to 5,000 whereas Yahoo still shows around 30,000 backlinks. Google seems to have discounted my links from directories.

Have they penalized all sites? Maybe not yet, but there is the proof you were asking for. For Yahoo and MSN you can still submit to directories as they count in there index.

SEMSpot, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  10. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    lol thats not proof (what i showed you was).... but just another "webmasters suspicions/theory"
    (I have plenty of them, care to hear them?)

While i will admit that they may have "reduced the value" (maybe) or "hidden the PR from categories"
    (cause we have directories with zero PR beating out other sites with PR in the serps)
    buy stripping/hiding the PR from inner categories but the actual "link" still counts and
    there's nothing they can do about it unless they want to show results like cuil.com
    whom doesn't count links (supposedly) and only content and it shows in their "poor search results".

thx
    Malcolm

11. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    great post malcolm, I was thinking the same thing when I read the first reply..lol

Brandon Sheley, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  12. SEMSpot

SEMSpot Peon

Best Answers:
    So Malcolm you think Google will value links someone has with these free directory sites? I swear Matt came out and said Google does put weight on directories, and that submitting to directories are okay, provided that the directory accepts quality sites and is not simply a free-for-all link site. Maybe I should have said Google will discount your directory links from free directory sites, since they do not see much value in them.

SEMSpot, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  13. malcolm1

Best Answers:

Now i will agree that there's thousands of sh*t general directories on the internet and even more here at DP from people that
    Cant Speak/Write/Understand English yet open directories or start submission services & accept anything submitted just to make $2 dollars,
    and that probably would effect googles serps and can be easily seen in their directory results or work they performed for others.

My whole point is that you cant profile/class everyone in the same manner as many of us do take pride in what we do and its wrong and hypocritical
    to punish those that are doing right by listing sites accordingly and not accepting everything that comes there way.

I will also tell you that (i believe) "niche directories" are considered stronger then general directories and will probably hold more "link weight" with google and
    any other SE as the "relevance factor" is much higher and the traffic is targeted to that specific niche therefor it becomes a win win situation not only for the "SEs" but also the "submitters" and "surfers" looking for specific info.

thx
    malcolm

14. seo2u

seo2u Peon

Best Answers:
    1 - pay someone to optimize the page or write quality content and then ... wait.

2 - go for Adwords and pay Google if has money to pay or is impatient...

seo2u, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  15. mrbento

mrbento Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that means that PR will be hard to get?

mrbento, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  16. scott659

scott659 Banned

Best Answers:
    scott659, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  17. scott659

scott659 Banned

Best Answers:
    I am so not a grunt. Been on this board for a while

scott659, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  18. valu

valu Peon

Best Answers:
    I perfectly agree with you Malcolm1. quality and niche directories will stay important but many new directories that have excepted just every site will loose importance during time.

Why would you get some importance from PR 4 dropped domain that became directory and has already 20k websites listed. Common human sense devalues the importance of such directory.

valu, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  19. seo2u

seo2u Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes Article directories and Social Media Site will be the next replaces to directories :):):)

seo2u, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  20. Dhvanesh

Dhvanesh Peon

Best Answers:
    Social media sites have already replaced directories. If you want ur site to be indexed fast in SERP and need some traffic, SB sites are really helpful.

Dhvanesh, Oct 14, 2008 IP