1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Maps V3 (Calc Distance from Route)

Discussion in 'Google API' started by rikkouri, Jun 1, 2011.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could off some advice on the following theoretical issue, before I begin development of my app. I have a theoretical database populated with several thousand markers. The user of my site will enter there Start/Destination into my map; which thanks to google’s wonderful API, will provide them with a route. I would then go and add my markers to their map. The problem I have is, that displaying several thousand markers is going to be slow and terribly messy from the user’s point of view.

Can anyone think of a means of simply displaying only the markers within ‘x’miles from the route?

Ideally I’d love base the distance calculations upon the driving distance rather than the Air distance, but I don’t believe this is going to be possible as I expect it would require a DirectionRequest for each marker! eeep!
    As it stands none of the data has been populated into the database, which means that I don’t mind using Post Codes or the LatLon; actually, I’d be interested to know which you guys would suggest, although I’m pretty certain that using LatLon would be faster.

rikkouri, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  2. andre01

andre01 Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for this information

andre01, Jun 18, 2011 IP