1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google likes updated content!

Discussion in 'Google' started by caroline, Nov 12, 2004.

1. darqSHADOW

darqSHADOW Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with you here. My site gets hit every day by Google, and deep crawls are at least every other day. As of today GoogleBot has cached 50k pages this month, and I haven't updated my index in a LONG time. ;)

DS

darqSHADOW, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  2. sleepy

sleepy Guest

Best Answers:
    I'll have to remember that.

sleepy, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  3. mister charlie

mister charlie Peon

Best Answers:
    Providing fresh content not only keeps the bots happy, but it keeps your human visitors happy, and provides others webmasters with greater incentive to link to you.

mister charlie, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    There are numerous automated ways to assure that some or all of the pages of your sites always have fresh content. I have several little tools and toys designed for that purpose available free at the SEO Tools Toys, and Packages site. You can, for example, put a "current weather" dropin (for virtually any location in the world) on, or an international currency-exchange-rates mini-table, or even just a little teaser tag ("What do you know about X?", where X varies at every page presentation and links to an online encyclopedia artice on X). All are highly customizeable.

Owlcroft, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  5. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:

Very Interesting Stuff. I will most certainly look at this site.

I am of the mindset to deep link to every important page on your site. This way, whether you have changing content or not, you are getting visited to these deeper pages for both SEO and quick updates when content changes. IMHO the more important the page, the more deep links I would place to it.

I would also disagree as the importance of content changing to G outside of indexing. Very important if applicable to Visitors getting up to date information.

If your site is about "Selling Widgets" and you widgets market doesn't change, and you're getting top ranks, why would you change your widget site content? Why should you have to? Just doesn't fit to imply ranking is helped by frequent content changes. I think its the content that you update that helps your ranking rather than "Just any update".

I can point to one competitor site that is content only with call to action to an application. I monitor and attempted to "mimick" weight factors, and this site has been top forever. Doesn't change content, yet maintains top spots for any industry related KW I have found.. No matter what freakin KW always in top ten...Heck of an SEO job if you ask me!

gchaney, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  6. webvivre

webvivre Peon

Best Answers:
    Fresh content scores all the way round - search spiders, other site webmasters for linking and most important your clients like fresh content and they bookmark you!

webvivre, Dec 10, 2004 IP
  7. suni

suni Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think fresh content is the only parameter in this equation. It's also about PR. It's well known that pr 5 pages are crawled daily, or every 2 days, while pages with less pr are crawled less often and so on.
    Although new fresh content on the home page may tell the bot to crawl "deeper", believing there is more fresh content to be indexed, but it doesn't tell the bot to crawl "more often".
    This is just my opinion on this one

suni, Dec 10, 2004 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    It may be "well known", but to whom? Not to me, and, apparently, not to Google. I have numerous PR-5 pages that seem to get crawled about weekly.

Owlcroft, Dec 10, 2004 IP
  9. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm with Owlcroft on this one.

My PR2 site gets crawled once to twice a day.

ResaleBroker, Dec 10, 2004 IP
  10. SeoPro2005

SeoPro2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow...I will update my whole site today! THanks for the info guys!

SeoPro2005, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  11. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    My homepage is updated everyday, and Google often deepcrawls me... It also helps to have a sitemap where all those pages are added (if you have a small website).

In my case I just have the links for the categories in the sitemap and the links for the articles in the homepage.

If you have a website that isn't updated Googlebot crawls will be slower... I've been deep crawled a week ago, and yesterday I was again....

eduardomaio, Dec 17, 2004 IP
  12. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Are you sure about this?

a389951l, Dec 17, 2004 IP
  13. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience this has always been true.

SEbasic, Dec 17, 2004 IP
  14. JonahViaKeyboard

JonahViaKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    That Google comes back more often when content is changed is the prevailing theory - and it makes perfect sense from an engineering standpoint.

As Google has limited resources to spider X sites per day, it's better for them to spider those sites that are more prone to change.

The same can be said about any site, using a retail analogy: If you operate a clothing store, and change your inventory frequently, customers are more likely to stop in to see what you've got. If you're inventory changes rarely, customers have less incentive to browse to see what's new – ‘cause little has changed since their last visit.

Google works the same way.

JonahViaKeyboard, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  15. crear21

crear21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Google crawls updated sites faster.

crear21, Dec 19, 2004 IP
  16. seadragon

seadragon Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know how Google knows that you have updated your site? Why would it visit your site just because you've updated it?

Does Google perhaps look at the history of its own visits to your site and check/reindex your site more frequently if you display a pattern of content changes? Could it have to do with an increase in number of backlinks to your site that Google is discovering as it indexes other sites? Or what?

seadragon, Dec 20, 2004 IP