1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google likes updated content!

Discussion in 'Google' started by caroline, Nov 12, 2004.

Well, last night I made some really minor changes to my index page (icluding changing the last updated date) and today, all my new pages have been deeply crawled.

So, I gather that fresh content does matter. I don't think it was a coincidence. What do you guys think of that? What are your experiences?

caroline, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    I had some feelings but didnt test anything, but my feelings tell me the same. as soon as a few pages are updated, google starts crawling and updating my site.

Dirkjan, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  3. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree definitely google bot like update contents. I have a site that I update everyday and it never missed being crawled.

melfan, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  4. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep google always seems to crawl my site more if i update more regulary -from what i can tell it's reflected in the serps i.e. if i updated one of my pages every few days those changes would appear in googles cache within 2 days of each change - if i don't update for a while and then make a change (say only one change) it can be up to a week before google registers it in its cache.

fluke, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I have found this to be very true and is why I constantly update both my index and my site map. Every time I had new pages I add them to my site map and they get indexed very quickly.

yfs1, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  6. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google visits our site every day like clock-work. I don't see a significant difference between Google visits or depth of crawls when fresh content is added to our index page.

ResaleBroker, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  7. seadragon

seadragon Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have noticed that Google crawls my sites and updates its cache when I make rounds of updates.

seadragon, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  8. h2tdc

h2tdc Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't seem to work for me. I have updated my home page and other pages as well. Yet, Google doesn't appear to crawl deep into my site. Furthermore, the home page has not even been cached at all. Any other suggestions besides trying to get more external links to my site? :mad:

h2tdc, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  9. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Has your site been up long? Getting that initial deep crawl often takes time.

stephfoster, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  10. piniyini

piniyini Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As soon as I make a change on my blog google always crawles the main page but I guess a deep crawl will take time. I've only just had a site recently; did the crawls always be this fast?

piniyini, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  11. h2tdc

h2tdc Peon

Best Answers:
    My site has been up for a month. Strange enough, Google only displays the URL of my home page with no title and description. Did Gogglebot half index the page? I saw another thread talking about this...

h2tdc, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  12. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    If you have stats to your blog; you'll note that almost as soon as you make a change to the blog; technorati and weblogs spiders your site. Then; google spiders those sites, because the content is constantly updated and then spiders yours. That's how google "knows".

flawebworks, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  13. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had this problem with a new site that I quickly developed some backlinks to. I don't think it was the Sanbox effect, seemed like something more weird. See if your site is cached. If it isn't, you may want to contact Google. That is what I did and they resolved whatever the issue was.

NewComputer, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  14. h2tdc

h2tdc Peon

Best Answers:
    Hooray! Just did a search in Google a few minutes ago and my web site home page is cached now. Title and description are showing up as well. Most probably my recent submissions to other link directories help make Google bots visit my site again. Now I have to wait for it to crawl deeper into my site. :)

h2tdc, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  15. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a new site, its only up a few weeks, google has spidered a lot but only seems to have cached the pages with links going to them.

darksat, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  16. brk

brk Guest

Best Answers:
    The secret appears to be to regularly update.
    No need to do that on a daily base (unless you really want to try for daily visits from spiders), if you are going to ignore the pages for a while.
    It's better to update less frequently (weekly or every 2 days or whatever), but REGULARLY.

That's just my opinion.

Bye,
    BRK

brk, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  17. mortgage-pro-seo

mortgage-pro-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree G loves fresh content but I don't think that is what caused your deep crawl those things seem to be cyclical.

mortgage-pro-seo, Dec 5, 2004 IP
  18. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you ping these blog spider sites after you update?, or do they just know about you and visit your home page very regularly.

crew, Dec 5, 2004 IP
  19. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are right about that. My site gets deep crawled 3-4 times a month.

caroline, Dec 5, 2004 IP
  20. Tid

Tid Peon

Best Answers:
    Tid, Dec 5, 2004 IP