1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is Showing another page for targeted keywords...

Discussion in 'SEO' started by E01, Jun 13, 2014.

Hello Friends..

I've just started SEO for a new website. Here I've targeted some keywords for a particular page but I'm getting another internal page for the same keywords. What should I do? I should focus on new page displayed by google on SERPs...? Any help would be appreciated.

E01, Jun 13, 2014 IP
  2. kalseo

kalseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have say that I've seen the same thing on at least 20 websites I am SEO-ing right now.

No doubt it will take a time to get the page you want ranked. Probably the best temporary fix is to amend the sub-page you got ranked, to send the message and call to action from the page you want to be ranked higher.

kalseo, Jun 14, 2014 IP
  3. DiggitySEO

DiggitySEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the original poster is banned, but this is a good question; and something that is going to come up more and more frequently if the trends in what I'm seeing with the Google algorithm continue.

If you have a site who's homepage is trying to rank for a certain keyword and an inner page is ranking instead, then you're over-optimizing the off-site SEO to the homepage.

Most of the time, what I see with my clients is:

1. Over aggressive anchor text with a Exact Match Domain (EMD) or Partial Match Domain (PMD)

Depending on the niche, exact number will vary but Google is looking for at least 50% of anchors to be Brand or URL variations. With EMD's or PMD's this is even stricter. What makes it even more difficult, is you don't get a Brand anchor with EMD or PMD sites, which is what people typically send to the homepage.

Example:

keyword: dog training
    Brandable domain: PuppySchool.com, Brand Anchor: Puppy School
    EMD: dog-training.com, Brand Anchor: Dog Training (likely to trigger over optimization)
    PMD: dogtraininghq.com, Brand Anchor: Dog Training HQ (likely to trigger over optimization)

What has probably happened is that the inner page has better ratios than the homepage.

How do you fix it? Start de-optimizing the anchor text distribution to the home page. Get more URL anchors in there.

2. Too many links going into the homepage

It isn't always the case that the more links you have coming into a page, the higher it ranks. Google looks to see what is ranking for each search and establishes a trend. If you're the one site that needs 200 links to rank, while all the top sites have 5-10, then you're the black sheep and Google will move you to where you fit in. This is often the case when you're going up against high DA domains like Amazon, Wiki, etc.

Since people send most of their anchors to their homepage, the homepage becomes more susceptible to this issue. I often see inner pages rank higher, that have the same anchor text ratios, but less links.

How do you fix it? Create inner pages with supporting articles that link to the homepage with critical anchor text. Example, "Fun tricks to teach any puppy". Inside that article create a "dog training" anchor link back to the homepage. Send your links to this inner page instead and the link juice will flow to the homepage.

~

Hope this helps,
    Diggity

DiggitySEO, Jun 16, 2014 IP
  4. E01

E01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Friends

E01, Jun 25, 2014 IP