1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google is screwing me

Discussion in 'SEO' started by SportsOutlaw, Jan 1, 2005.

My site has been online since March, and while I know I need to increase content, google is not even listing my site for very important keyword searches.

Anybody ever been in this situation? I have no problems with Yahoo, MSN. But for some reason, I am being completely ignored by google. The only way I can get my site to show up in google is typing the friggin site name. :mad:

SportsOutlaw, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Just looked at your football forum. If that is the site, suggest you change your titles. I would think rather than have each title begin with fantasy football forum .... NFL forum you might want the NFL forum first.

Good luck in 2005.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  3. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    not sure I am following what you mean. And yes, that is the forums for my site. www.sportsoutlaw.com

4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Sports, okay don't take this the wrong way but have you made an attempt to read the threads in this forum and many other SEO forums?

Why aren't you doing well in Google is a simple answer.. Links. In total in Google you have 18 links, and all of these are your internal BL's which count for very little IMO. Start to build up links, with sport sites, other sport forums (www.aardvarksport.net - don't advertise in there, just participate and get a link to your sight from the signature)

Once you start to build up the links, then you'll notice a difference to your rankings in Google - don't forget to research the anchor text (title) on the links to your site.

So in short - Google isn't screwing you - your doing that yourself! :D

Darren

DarrenC, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  5. SportsOutlaw

Best Answers:
    I have read some of what is here and other places, and I admit I am fairly new to all of this.

18 links in google? I show to have 301 by link:www, and I have worked quite a bit on getting links with other sports sites. On my links pages, every link that I have has been been a result of pursuing link exchanges.

6. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    What I am trying to say is always put the keywords you are targeting in first part of your title.

I have a page before me with title - Fantasy Football Player Ranking and Cheatsheets brought to you by the Sports Outlaw.

If I were targeting Football Player Ranking and Football Cheatsheets I would probably name my page that. Same phrase would appear in my description and main heading on page. Here is where you can make your keyword research pay off.

As poster below me says links are always important but you can do a lot by improving onpage elements. Every little bit helps.

Shannnon

Smyrl, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  7. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    To your main domain yes you have over 900 links, alot of them appear to be forum posts though, and I'm not sure if they carry the same weight as a proper link. I actually looked at the links to your forum, which is what I thought you were referring to; to the forum you only have 18 backlinks, and this be one of the problems why your site isn't ranking well at the moment.

DarrenC, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  8. SportsOutlaw

Best Answers:
    Interesting information. As far as the links to my forums, I am not suprised that is low. Just about all of the link exchanges I have done have been to the main page of my site. www.sportsoutlaw.com

One thing I have realized since beginning the link exchange process is that alot of fantasy football websites are not very interested in exchanging links with me, especially the popular ones.

I still find it strange though that Yahoo, MSN would rank me in the top 50 or so in some of my keyword searches, and Google has me not even in the top 1000.

anyway, back to the mind numbing work of begging for link swaps. :) Thanks for the advise, and I welcome any further advice from you guys, or anybody else.

9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't forget in England, we call Soccer football. So not only are you up against NFL fantasy football sites but UK and European football (soccer) sites aswell. I think if you improve on the links, and use the anchor text as 'Fantasy Football' or 'Fantasy NFL football' words when optimising your site, you can't go far wrong.

Google is also going through a crazy time at the moment, so bear that in mind aswell!

DarrenC, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  10. SportsOutlaw

Best Answers:
    Google must be watching me bitch on this an another forum. Since lastnight, things have increased, at least according to this.

link:www.sportsoutlaw.com has increased from 300 to 900
    link:www.sportsoutlaw.com/forum has increased from 18 to 31

I have no idea why or how, because google is still keepig my site hidden from its bots.

SportsOutlaw, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  11. SportsOutlaw

Best Answers:
    SportsOutlaw, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  12. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Such Great Heights, Jan 6, 2005 IP