1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google images. how often do they update?

Discussion in 'Google' started by ly2, Jan 24, 2006.

today i got my first visitor from google images. i just put my site up not long ago and one of my main goals was to get lots of traffic from google images. the site is http://custom-cabinets.org and as you can see its full of images and im always adding new ones.

i have even named the pictures good like: cabinet.jpg
    anything else i can do to help google images index more of my pix? and should i even expect good traffic from google images?

ly2, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  2. aeronautic.net

aeronautic.net Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have not already done so, make sure you use "alt" tags to help ID the subject of the pictures. It is useful to have related text near the image and a page title the same as your alt tag and image file name.

good luck!

aeronautic.net, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  3. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yep, did that too.
    i really got all setup for google images and i hope i didnt do it for nothing. i even used very high quality/ high res pictures trying to seduce mrs. google bot.
    >=X

ly2, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    They updated earlier this month I believe. Or was it late last month? Somewhere around there, I don't quite remember, but it was just recently.

jackburton2006, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  5. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I assumed they updated just like rankings update for keywords, regularly. May be wrong though. Maybe it is a quarterly thing. Never have really put much thought into google images, although they bring me more traffic than yahoo.

SportsOutlaw, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  6. aeronautic.net

aeronautic.net Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recall seeing something somewhere that said Google was trying to increase the update rate. My dog picture site and airplane picture site (couldn't resist) both use Coppermine. I hacked it (from tips on the official forums) to enhance the SEO. Images went in. And I waited. And waited.

The google page (not image) bot grabbed the pages and zip I was in the main directory, but no images in the GIS search. I got paranoid that Coppermine somehow was not SE friendly. So much so that I posted to the forum asking for help. Note: I find their server v e r y s l o w.

;)

They looked, even "under the hood," but found no problems.

Then, oh, 5 months after they went live, the images were there. So I think it is a "rate of update" issue which I very much hope they will shorten. I do find I get incoming traffic from it. So back very much on topic, if someone 'round here knows the GIS update rate or plans, I too would love to know it.

One big pain - preventing hot links from idiots but allowing it from all the image search engines. I do it with .htaccess, but was a pain with all the "flavors" of google and yahoo image and video search.

aeronautic.net, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Quarterly or twice a year, or thereabouts. Definitely not regularly.

jackburton2006, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  8. crizatu

crizatu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience they update once every 3 month. I run a wallpaper site and I receive a lot of visitators from google images.

crizatu, Jan 29, 2006 IP