1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google has been Berry Berry Good Lately

Discussion in 'Google' started by anthonycea, Jun 23, 2004.

Google has been real good to me recently, my 20 plus Yahoo accounts were all filled to capacity. Now instead of having to delete email from all of these accounts daily, I can just sit back and thank Google.

Next I have complimented the Google Advertising Network, I think Adsense is the greatest thing since popcorn was invented. The technology is great, I do not like their terms for webmasters, not telling them percentages they generate from their programs. I do not like the fact that Google dictates what the payouts are. But the Keyword matching technology is great, the ads relate great to the content of the pages as I have seen here at DP.

They also have more advertisers than anyone it seems, except maybe Overture. I think that the ADSENSE program looks like a winner. I just hope it is a winner for webmasters in the long run.

So Google is leading the industry to innovate new programs like the increased Email storage from most every provider out there.

I think the same will be said for keyword advertising as we are watching a lot of new companies come into the industry such as www.ALLFEEDS.com and www.BIDCLIX.com and others.

So Google has been BERRY, BERRY good to me lately.

anthonycea, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google does disclose what percentages they payout (as a whole) in their FTC filings, and it's MUCH higher than I would have ever guessed (they payout in the 75-80% range to AdSense publishers).

I also don't think Overture advertisers is anywhere remotely close to the number of AdWord advertisers. Besides Overture not having as wide as an audience as Google ads, I've heard their customer service is terrible, their minimum bid is twice what Google's is as well. For every Overture advertiser that I know, I know at least 10 AdWords advertisers.

digitalpoint, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well I am not with their program so I can talk about it, but if you are a ADSENSE partner, you should watch what you say publicly.

They have been known to drop those who talk about the program when they discuss anything about the payouts and income generated with the program.

So you guys that are with the program, don't say too much in this thread other than the most general statements.

I have heard lately that they have been dropping the percentages and that they do NOT tell the publishers what their percentages are. There has been a lot of controversy about webmasters getting dropped and not paid at all.

4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    to some extent, though, overture may be very worthwhile. the minimum bid may be twice as much, like you said, but you also said you know 10 adwords advertisers for every one overture advertiser.

I'd say it's at least worth checking out, it may work very well in the right markets.

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I think a study was done by Forester a while back that showed that Overture presented a better buy for advertisers, I am not sure who generates the most money or has the most advertisers. Who in fact is larger in the Keyword Advertising Business is something that could be found out if one wanted to look at the annual reports.

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can discuss anything you can get outside of the AdSense interface. Their overall payout info is public info (from their FTC filing). You are also free to discuss your total amount you make (if you were not able to disclose that, they could drop anyone from the program because depositing a check constitutes disclosing how much you made to the bank).

What you *can't* discuss are things like CTR, impressions, payout per click, etc. (unless you get the data by running your own JavaScript that monitors it or something).

7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd be rather impressed if someone made a JS script to determine click values :)

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hehe... of course that can't be determined, but everything else can for (impressions, CTR, etc.)

9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well Shawn, I am sure you know more about the TOS than me.

I am telling you what I have read others say, I have heard a lot of folks say that Google is not telling them what percentage they are getting period, in addition to that Google is not telling them what THEY are getting for the click.

So I could not care less what I say, I am not with them, but I have heard that those that discuss the program could be dropped.

10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Anthony, that is all crap again. I made a full public disclosure of every item of my AdSense account when I was active on the IMR forum.

You may be upset by Google's invasion of privacy, but I was upset about their restriction of free speech, and told every detail of my experience and account with them. I'm still here and AdSense ads are still running on all my sites.

I don't believe the 70% to 80% ratio that Shawn says they revealed. I was an AdWord buyer of some of the same keywords that I was displaying AdSense ads for. Therefore I know what Google is charging or getting for those click throughs. What I was getting per click through from my AdSense ads was almost dead on 50%. I still think that is a generous revenue sharing, but it isn't 70%.

I don't think Google is the devil, as you seem to think upon some occasions, but I also don't think they are God. I'll reveal whatever I want to reveal about my business, my profits and my income, and if Google doesn't like it they can go to hell.

compar, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The payout rates are what they are disclosing as a whole in their FTC filings.

Of course, it's probably not an even split across all AdSense publishers. Very large partners (like AOL) I'm sure can negotiate a higher rate than some guy that gets 100 impressions per day. Plus they may have other factors (maybe percentages go up [or down for that matter] the more impressions you are doing for example).

If they were going to skew it in any direction within their FTC filings, I would think they would skew it to show less being paid out, since it's the investors they are needing to impress with the filings, not the potential AdSense publishers.

12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Listen, I am not here to hurt anyone or start fights, we are just discussing issues so don't get up in arms now Bob.

Shawn are you sure you are not talking about SEC reports?

FTC is the Federal Trade Commission, that has to do with Fair Trade Regulations.

Now Bob, maybe they just have kept hands off of you, but I am telling you I can show you many links to many Blogs that have this sort of information if you want to view it. It would be to explosive to display here.

PM me and I will email the links to you Bob.

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You of course are right... was typing too fast, and not reading. SEC, not FTC.

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not always right Shawn, but I don't want you or Bob to ever look bad.

15. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Anthony, You have a terrible tendency to believe everything you read. The only thing you are suppose to believe is what I write :D

There is all kinds of bullshit published about Google every day. Look at all the threads on this forum that start out with the question, if I get up out of the left side of the bed three days in a row will Google penalize my site and demand the birthright of my first born? Where does that crap and paranoia come from?

It comes from people who have no idea what they are talking about and no sense of logic or reason. Google is not the government. They are not God. All the evidence to date suggests that they are reasonably benign, ethical and responsible citizens.

What is their mission in life? It is to deliver relevant web pages in return for the user's searches. They have spent a great deal of time, money and effort to be able to do that. It is only reasonable that they should employ some methods to generate income to offset these expenses.

I told you I have an MBA. The MBA 101 definition of profit is that "profit is the reward for risk". Google, via their innovation, and willingness to try and develop a better search engine, in the face of MSN and Yahoo and AltaVista, took immense risks. They deserve any profit they can garner.

compar, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes Bob, I have come to respect your viewpoints and I am sure others also have great respect for you also.

But, why don't we just put up a link to the TOS on the ADSENSE program and discuss what is says, right here right now, who has the link or the pages to post?

17. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually got an adsense account delete- needed to beg them to re-review the account. Then they decided that "your account is in good standing" and gave it back- plus the 12k. How nuts is having to beg for my money, ever had to beg your boss for a pay check before- demeaning.

schlottke, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Did they say what it was deleted for?

19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea, it is sick to see Compar begging Shawn for money all the time :eek:

12 grand, how about sending me some SB