1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google free internet phone

Discussion in 'Google' started by mylinkwatch, Aug 25, 2010.

1. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that Google are rolling it out to the US first and intend to roll it out to other countries at a later date... However, several people I know in Australia (myself included) and some in New Zealand have also got it.
    The trend seems to be, if you have your language settings in Gmail set to "English US", you get the Google phone show up in Gmail.

I can't get it working on my Nexus One, you need to have a Google voice number and to get one of those, you need to have a US phone number and use a US proxy to create a voice account... Seems like too much of a hassle to me. I'm happy enough with the Gmail add on for now.

It doesn't seem to matter where you live. If you have it in your account, you can use it.
    I tested it out by calling the Palo Alto Pizza Hut in the US and it worked just fine and was free (But they don't deliver to Australia ;)).
    I then added $10 to my account, called my mate in Europe and spoke for ages at the very reasonable cost of 3 cents a minute.
    Have fun with it.

Cheers
    James

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    tattoos, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  2. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have this feature now (actually got it on that day, but later on). Probably I went to try it too early.
    Unfortunately, when I try to install google voice on my android, I'm getting that this service not available in my country - Canada.
    It is logical, since to make it working, Google should find/make a deal with one of local carriers, like they did with AT&T in US (this is only my assumption, not based on any official post/announcement).

Montreal Classifieds, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  3. Widespread

Widespread Peon

Best Answers:
    I will be using this to talk with people who I work with online. :) Very nice.

Widespread, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  4. holdmoon

holdmoon Peon

Best Answers:
    beat skype????

holdmoon, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  5. Widespread

Widespread Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say it beats Skype. Skype gives you much more. Time will tell if Google does more of what Skype offers.

6. Haroon Q. Raja

Haroon Q. Raja Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't beat Skype at present. The noise cancellation offered by Skype is excellent, plus it has come a long way to become this feature rich. However, Google Voice from Gmail will definitely be a competitor as Google adds features to it. It can seriously threaten Skype soon, considering the pace at which Google develops its products. After all, offering calls all across USA and Canada with a price tag of 'free' is definitely going to make a huge impact.

Haroon Q. Raja, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  7. Widespread

Widespread Peon

Best Answers:
    Not to mention Google has a vast variety of resources and advertising advertising options.

8. simple007

simple007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now what will SKYPE's next move to sustain in the market...

simple007, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  9. relivearth

relivearth Peon

Best Answers:
    Hope Google will not fail again in this also like wave, buzz etc. Not coming up anything really exciting from Google in recent days!

relivearth, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  10. Sideliner

Sideliner Peon

Best Answers:
    For those worried about 'indexing' of calls. ever used google voice? it barely recognizes anything said in text format. Now sure, it will get better, but right now it would be pretty worthless to anyone.

Sideliner, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  11. Live-Point-Blog

Live-Point-Blog Peon

Best Answers:
    i hv tried this awesome voice quality, now skype sucks..... Google Rocks

Live-Point-Blog, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  12. dazynelofer

dazynelofer Peon

Best Answers:
    when it will come in India n gulf countries

dazynelofer, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  13. Haroon Q. Raja

Haroon Q. Raja Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems Skype has already made the next move, by launching their version 5 beta 2, which supports 10 participant video conferencing, along with the ability to automatically resume dropped calls. That certainly is impressive to say the least. Let's see what Google comes up to match that. This competition will mean great news for both the users of Skype and Google, in form of new features.

Haroon Q. Raja, Sep 3, 2010 IP