1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google forces us to lay off 2 employees

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Seobiznezz, Oct 20, 2006.

Thank you Google for the September delisting of many pages around the net. We have followed all your rules for 4 years and then you go and delist our site as well as many others in September.

We tried to compensate for the delisting by building more pages to make up for what you have decided to delist.

After 4 weeks of trying to make up for the de-indexing we cannot compensate the loses and we have no choice but to lay off two talented employees.

Yes, we have tried PPC but lost money as the conversions did not pay for the click fraud.

We hope you enjoy your eventual monopoly when you are able to squeeze the little guy out of business just like WalMart has done to so many Mom & Pop stores around the world.

Seobiznezz, Oct 20, 2006 IP
    Colleen and xharrisonx like this.
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    LMAO... so now it's Google fault... :rolleyes:

fryman, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  3. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    That's really too bad. :(
    Keep in mind, though, that there's also the argument the Google created those jobs in the first place.

ReadyToGo, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  4. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is terrible

That to layoff two talented employess is very horrible

If I had been in yours position I would have switched to some other form of ads
    rather than ads

I think surely some one will come to end Google's monopoly and the big brother attitude

Freewebspace, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  5. mahno

mahno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You lost me there :)
    Perhaps you meant "rather than Adwords"?

mahno, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  6. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    I was actually waiting for the comment "so its Googles fault now." hmmm 5 minutes, that is faster than I had thought.

No, it is not their fault but what they have to keep in mind is that many companies exist because of Google. In my city there are 4 internet marketing companies that rely on doing SEO for websites such as doctors offices, lawyers and such. The type of sites that the average company doesn't mind paying $2000 to easily grab the query "plastic surgeon in X City". It is easy and should be easy to get these queries that is why it is an easy sell for SEO companies.

How are they going to go to their clients and explain de-indexings when they all promise "natural growth" by following basic rules over a period of time.

Thankfully I am the owner and understand what is going on and can deal with it in an appropriate manner.

Nothing is a guarantee anymore. Adjust and adapt now.

Overall, I am positive and have a hunch that when Google settles down we will come back stronger than ever and I will rehire them, but for now I have had no choice. I just wanted to make people aware that Google is becoming so powerful now that they can effect a persons personal well being.

I have spoken to many in this situation. Anyone else get effected with the September de-indexes?

7. Amilo

Amilo Peon

Best Answers:
    You called the 2 employees "Talented".
    But not talented enough to stop you kicking there arse.

Amilo, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  8. SKULL

SKULL Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    lol got to love some of the DP members coments.

SKULL, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  9. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    The solution is to get people you know out of the G habit and to use other engines.

You know, like the ask.com commercials suggest.

noppid, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  10. AngelaR

AngelaR Guest

Best Answers:
    LMAO! You guys rock! :)

AngelaR, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  11. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, very talented and they understand that they will be hired back if and when my company can afford them in the SEO division of the company.

The point of me posting this is to keep people aware that for as many jobs Google can create, they can also force a company to change their focus by the press of a button.

Google is so powerful now they can crush companies in an instant.

What I expect to happen is that in a few weeks Google will do an update with the new PR results factored in. I expect all pages to return to normal and in a higher position.

I am in a way excited because it can't get worse, only better.

12. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont blame Google but blame your business marketing.

Yes my company experienced being de-listed from the update but guess what? We have several websites and market our business outside of Google, Yahoo etc because of this major risk - you could say we try our best to also play the monopoly game, if you cant beat them join them!

Thats down to the people who let them and dont look at the bigger picture.

Good luck for the future and hopefully you'll get the chance on getting the staff back.

cormac, Oct 20, 2006 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  13. Boss_Numbat

Boss_Numbat Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ebbs and flows is one thing certain about SEO (organic and ppc), many things within the propriety search and services landscape are 'a changing'. I reckon that your 'hunch' is right, although I must ask 'about' you're optimisation tactics...

Could you not have re-directed the talents and energies of the 'two' outstanding freelancers you speak about? (Not meaning to cause affront or be being rude).

Perhaps to 'other' areas of SEO (organic and ppc) along the lines of Google Base, Google Developer Code projects - other search engines offer similar.

Google is the larger, representing 60% of Web search (some countries - Nielsen/NetRatings) of 'how many' search engines? Other SEO tatics would also encompass 'plotting' who's idices feeds 'Who', working out a SEO tact (matrix) for more targeted SEO.

If it is not working with Google, move the focus of these two talented freelancers to include 'other' sources of SEO, maybe. Like I said, not meaning to cause affront or be being rude.

Regards

BN

Boss_Numbat, Oct 20, 2006 IP
    AngelaR likes this.
  14. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I totally understand that theory but you have to run your business on a cost per department basis.

For example: if organic Google brings in $100000 in yearly profit that allows us to spend $40000 X 2 employees with $20000 in profit left for the share holders.

With the Google de-indexing of September the profit has almost been eliminated and thus cannot afford employees anymore.

Yes, these employees would still be with us but they were hired based solely on organic Google SEO income with that loss it has forced us to eliminate these positions.

I have a feeling they will be back when the dust settles.

15. RLM

RLM Peon

Best Answers:
    One os my big site got sh*tbagged by G this year too. I learned a huge lesson, don't count on G, create other avenues. Keep moving along !

RLM, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  16. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    AH HA! So my latest blog posting at tonyrocks.com rings true throughout the community. The gloves are off now since getting delisted and PR dropped. I hope everyone reads it and post their comments about how awesomely screwed they get with the "Goolopoly."

tonyrocks, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  17. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will say thank you Google for the September listing.

login, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  18. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Really shake my head with this thread.

Funny as heck that someone blames google for loss of their business.
    But then, when you rely ONLY on google, tough crapola!

Not very good SEO to build only for google, all I got to say.

So laughing with this thread, I move on to another thread where I can get more laughs.

iowadawg, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  19. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    What I hope people understand is that the $100000 simply does not disappear. There is $100000 waiting to be spent by people out there in internet world.

Google now has the ability to keep more and more of that money by choking the little guy. Right now, we have lost the $100000 as it has been reduced by estimates $80000, leaving us with $20000 to play with.

Where did the $80000 go??? Hmmm, lets say $60000 is now with more PPC results. $20000 is with other natural serps. Watch Google start ranking information sites higher now too. eg: Wikipedia, why? because this is one more position that they dont' have to give up to an ecommerce site.

I am pleased to see how some people understand what I am saying in this thread.

20. Utexas

Utexas Peon

Best Answers:
    LLOL i think he used talented to make his story seem more intense :)

Utexas, Oct 20, 2006 IP