1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Directory reverts to old data

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dominic, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    It seems to me that the google directory was updated with info from dmoz (we got 3 new listings) a while ago, then today I checked the google directory and the data has gone back an update to the older data.

The pagerank values are the old ones, number of listings in the categories are the old ones, listings are the old ones...

DMOZ remains up to date and correct, no changes there.
    SEMrush

Dominic, Nov 3, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    FWIW: A moderator at WebProWorld who is also a DMOZ editor recently confirmed that the Google Directory updated its DMOZ feed around week 1 or 2 in October and then reverted to an earlier DMOZ feed a week or two later. No explanation was provided as to why this happened.

minstrel, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed the same thing -- my pr went up around then - and now is back to prior level -- other changes in other sites in my catagory also reverted

joeychgo, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    It's very confusing, I made a couple of posts over the last week stating that Google had not updated since August 12 and I'm sure that was true yesterday. I just checked in the last hour and can see changes and additions made in DMOZ up till around the end of September, but nothing in October.

However, searching for the site is not always consistent, even when limiting the search to one Google dir. category.

In particular searching for URL's seems less likely to find a site then searcing for the title.

[ADDED]

It looks like search [from the Google Directory] is broken even for old sites in the directory. I have two sites that have been in DMOZ for years, and one is found through search in Google Dir, the other is not, yet both are still listed.

Yet search from the main Google search box, finds the entries in the directory. :confused:

macdesign, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  5. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Minstrel, your always two steps ahead and on the money. Cheers.

Dominic, Nov 3, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.