1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Directory PR3 Toolbar PR5

Discussion in 'Google' started by Dominic, Jun 19, 2004.

Our homeless site is listed in the google directory and has only ever shown a PR3 on the directory PR indicator but has had toolbar PR5 for the last 2 updates.

Any idea why there is such a big difference in the PR indications between the toolbar and the directory?

Dominic, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  2. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    i noticed that when you type in

http://homeless.org.au/

your site comes up with PR0

and with http://www.homeless.org.au/ a PR5

Maybe that has something to do with it, but thats is about as useful as i can be on this, im interested in knowing why now too

LucidNet, Jun 19, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    the directory is always way, way behind.

it'll catch up eventually.

disgust, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  4. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    These are regarded as two different sites by the bot. It is one reason why if you have your main site as www you should make sure that all references to it are just that, not the truncated version. :)

Foxy, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny thing is, one of our sites got added a week ago with a PR3, though its a PR4.

schlottke, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  6. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    By curious chance, I posted the exact note below on another SEO forum only seconds ago:

Better yet, take control of your backlinks:

Use your .htaccess file (or whatever goofy tool M$ servers provide, if you are so unfortunate as to be hosted on one) to issue a 301 Redirect pointing all calls using the "wrong" form (in this case, the non-www version) to the "right" form.

(I use quotation marks because neither form is inherently right or wrong--it's a matter of personal taste and choice; I prefer the non-www forms, and redirect the ones with a www, but you can go either way and eventually things settle down.)

I simply cannot believe the number of sites that do not take this simple but urgently vital step.

Owlcroft, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  7. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Quite, Sorry I didn't go far enough!, perhaps you could give the two examples so people can have it on record [that is, if you haven't already as you most likely have, and, if you have, please excuse me] :)

Foxy, Jun 20, 2004 IP
  8. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
  9. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I just completed a longish essay on the matter on the SEO Guy forum. It starts (there are 3 posts) at #9 on this page .

The point is that is not only presents some lines, but tries to give at least some rough minimal idea what they constitute, so it isn't all sheer magic.

Owlcroft, Jun 21, 2004 IP