1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google De-indexing pages

Discussion in 'SEO' started by LaCabra, Mar 2, 2005.

Hi Gang,

One of my sites is a Leather Portal and directory site for the leather industry(www.leatherpages.com). I have seen a significant decrease in the number of pages that Google is indexing - basically down from 32K pages to about 7.5K in 6 months.

Any one have any ideas as to what would be causing this?
    :confused:

Regards
    Frank

LaCabra, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  2. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My site: counts on google have been jumping all around on Google for the past month or so. It's really hurt traffic, too... Right now i'm about where I expect to be, but it's varying far more than it ever has before... This is on 3 or 4 sites, too...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  3. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hi Derek,
    I could understand fluctuations but my site in question seems to be in a steady decline while my #1 competitor has maintained his index levels. I don't know, I guess I'm looking for sugestions or pointers. I'm stumped on this one!! :confused:
    :)
    cheers
    Frank

LaCabra, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  4. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like you need more, higher pr links. Link:www.site.com is only showing 5 links that's never a good thing :x

iconrate, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  5. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    ive had some of my pages de-indexed today in google :(

TheWebJunkie, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  6. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    it's been happening off and on to a lot of sites. I was down to one page indexed for about 2 weeks, but then one night it jumped back up again. Just be patient, it'll come back around :)

wendydettmer, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  7. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Sayles...

Here's an idea that I don't think anobody's doing. Let me explain what happened to my own sites and how I overcame the de-indexing which is being talked about in this thread.

I have like 16 domains which I own. All are supposed to have 20k plus pages indexed. Last month when the duplicate content filter was dropping pages all acroos the board, all my sites got affected also and I lost about 70% of my pages across all my sites.

Along with these 16 domains, I have this really established domain which is dominating my industry and has 150k IBLs in Yahoo. Site gets deap crawled daily, and the index page is probably a PR7 without doubt (toolbar is showing PR6).

Anyway, what I did to save the other sites from the filter is I created about 16 pages on the main site to use as site maps for the 16 weaker domains. I linked all these "site maps" discreatly from the footer of my strongest pages on the main domain (so they get crawled quickly). Each of these site maps had about 50-100 links on them pointing to deap pages on the sites affected by the de-indexing. Since the crawl frequency on my main site was really high (usually within 20 hours a brand new page is already crawled and ranking)... the site maps got crawled very quickly. It had a ripple effect and all my sites ended up picking their pages back up in less than two weeks :)

Actually the over-all page count became even more than what it was before the filter hit!

Ok.. this is a bit unorthadox but well.. here's my suggestion:

Purchase a link from a strong PR7 and tell the owner to create a brand new page for you on his domain and then use that page as a site map... placing 50 of your links on it.. just paste in your directory index code (the categories and subcategories).. Assuming that the PR7 site gets crawled daily... your main category pages will be visited every other day and all your pages will eventually reindex. Hey, it worked for me. So, I guess something along these lines will work for you also.

There's a lot of details in between (like finding a willing webmaster who would help you out!), but I think it's worth looking into. That's my two cents... Good luck!

spdude, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  8. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. SPdude your recommendation sounds like it may work - i'll have to try it. The only dup content that I may have are the PRWEB newsreleases, everything else on the site is original work.

If I find any additional info, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks again everyone!
    Frank

LaCabra, Mar 3, 2005 IP