1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Cracks Down On MFA Sites

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by YokoOno, Nov 15, 2005.

There is an interesting discussion on WebmasterWorld AdSense section that suggests that Google cracks down on MFA sites by not banning them but rather smart-pricing into nothing. There is a guy named dzcap who claims he was an honest publisher who got smart priced for no reason. But the more dzcap reveals about himself, more it looks like he is one of MFA publishers. If this indeed is the case, it means that MFA site owners aren't likely to see fat checks any time soon.

YokoOno, Nov 15, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    Hate to sound like a 'newb', but what's an 'MFA' site?

forkqueue, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  3. Interlogic

Interlogic Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that the same dzcap from this site too?

MFA = Made for Adsense

Interlogic, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  4. techlh

techlh Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a dzcap on this site, as well.

Are MFA sites also referred to as 'InfoSites' ?

techlh, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  5. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, yeah that's me over there. For the record, my sites are not MFAs. The eCPM has actually climbed back to nearly what it was when I moved some of the inventory to YPN. That David guy is very annoying. =D

I am really tired already, so please don't continue that discussion in this thread. =)

dzcap, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  6. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I think everyone who profits from adsense, and makes a new site, makes it for adsense. Although I suppose theirs a difference between a site with genuine content that happens to have ads and a site that has ads with some content thrown around it. But, where do they draw the line?

mdvaldosta, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  7. YokoOno

YokoOno Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't know. Could be the same nick for two different people. That dzcap clames to be an honest person who just releases several quality sites each week. It's really a funny discussion, like mudwrestling. Worthwhile read if you like people getting nasty with each other, too bad I can't post a link here.

YokoOno, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  8. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Enjoy the reading, it was frustrating posting :mad:

dzcap, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  9. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    MFA can be anything from the autogenerated pages consisting of scraped content to pseudo directories that exist for the sole purpose of reproducing other people's content to make some money from Adsense.

I haven't read the WW thread but it sounds like a possibility that Google is fighting MFA with smartpricing. What beats me is why the sudden change of heart. For years now Google has been quite happy to give MFA good rankings in SERPs. If they stop ranking them so well in SERPs won't MFA disappear of their own accord? And how difficult is it to detect them - they all have the same stink?

Merkersarl, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  10. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... Check this thread yokoOno:

Dio, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  11. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The trouble is no one can give a clear definition of what is MFA....its a subjective matter..one man's MFA may be quality work for some one else.

Another point is how many MFAs will Google remove from its index...there must be thousands and thousands of them.

Smart Pricing is the best solution.... if advertising on a site doesnt benefit the advertisers.. advertising for him is useless.

I think smart pricing in very much here to stay and Yahoo and MSN will also come out with similar models for publisher compensation.

sachin410, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  12. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if an Amazon site like mine will be considered MFASite.

kawebspy, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  13. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This thread should be closed.

This thread is implying MFA sites are getting cracked down based on the false assumption that my sites are MFAs, which they are not. Any other discussions in this thread would be off topic. And I don't appreciate being the center of attention in such a thread. I was already getting fed up over this at WW, don't want to go through this again at DP. Mods please help?

dzcap, Nov 15, 2005 IP
    Henny likes this.
  14. YokoOno

YokoOno Guest

Best Answers:
    I did not realize dzcap is a member of this forum. Sorry for that. dzcap, you should just give this David guy a list of sites you created last week or last month and shut him up this way. If others see that your sites are quality sites, it'll demonstrate that David just has some sort of grudge against you. What did you do to piss him off, sleep with his girlfriend?

YokoOno, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  15. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not smart to give out your sites, especially to your "enemy", some possible consequences are they click bomb you, or steal your ideas.

dzcap, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  16. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter what your opinion is. Or mine. Google's bar will be set at Google's definition of MFA. From all the crap they allowed in the SERPs for so long we can only assume they had the bar set very low. Or didn't have a bar at all.

dzcap, I appreciate your problem. It's a classic dilemma. Unless all "sides" are going to agree a mod or well respected member as a confidant to assess your sites you are fighting a largely losing battle. I make no judgements about the quality of your sites but will advise that the best way to combat the rumblings is to resist the temptation to comment in those threads.

17. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Smarting pricing has nothing to do with whether a site is MFA is not...a MFA may escape smart pricing if the users convert for the advertiser..at the same time a genuine site may have to suffer if the users dont convert ..it varies from case to case.

sachin410, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  18. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    sachin410, some here do understand what smartpricing is about ;). The insinuation is that it is artificially manipulated to weed out sites that are not flavour of the month. Because of the secrecy the "factors" behind "what's likely to convert" could be... pretty much anything.

19. YokoOno

YokoOno Guest

Best Answers:
    dzcap, is it true that you make 10 sites each week? Or is this something David made up? I could kind of understand why people would be skeptical about 10 quality sites a day. I think it's smart that you don't give your sites away, though. I have not thought of clickbombing. By the way, how many sites do you own, total? And what are they about?

YokoOno, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  20. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The 10 sites a week is his misunderstanding, I said I might increase it to 10 a week, not make 10 a week. It is now at a rate of 3-5 a week, keep in mind I have many people working in my company, this is not a 1 person operation. I prefer not to give out specifics on how many sites I own and what they're about.

No more questions about this. Please.

dzcap, Nov 15, 2005 IP