1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Chrome web design.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ih82lose, Sep 2, 2008.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If you mean overhyped rubbish causing the technical community to openly attack the people who write about technology but don't actually understand it - then I suppose maybe there's some enthusiasm.

I just don't understand all the hype because IT'S JUST SAFARI WITH A SLAP OF PAINT!!!

You want to see just how stupid the hype is getting, get a load of this nonsense:
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/01/meet-chrome-googles-windows-killer/

I like this response to said article.
    http://teddziuba.com/2008/09/a-web-os-are-you-dense.html

It's overhyped nonsense. Right now there's no difference between it and Safari apart from the cosmetic and a mediocre speed dial ripoff. I bet apple's kicking itself in the ass for not including such a simple thing if it meant this level of hype was available.

deathshadow, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you aware the Javascript performance is 10x to 30x what Safari is?
    Are you aware that the only thing Chrome uses that Safari also uses is the rendering engine? The rest comes from Google and other sources?
    TechCrunch is just one site that says that. Many others do, too. And anyone who takes literally that a browser will be the OS isn't thinking creatively. What will happen is the browser will be the desktop and interface to web applications that normally live on the desktop.
    I'll start with that but I'm going to bed now.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  3. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    ... and that would matter to joe user how exactly?

Oddly, the only browser NEEDING better .js performance at the moment are the gecko flavors.

Though to be honest, I'm not certain faster js is desirable since that just means a whole new glut of crap AJAX rubbish that takes longer to download than it would to just do everything as flat server side generated content.

deathshadow, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  4. DV8

DV8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using Chrome since it's release and I have two complaints. First is that my scroll button does not work properly in Chrome. When I roll the scroll button, it works just fine, but when I press it down to use the auto scroll it does not work.

Second, and this is a significant issue to me considering how highly Google touted their multi threading tabs. Photobucket, where I have a ton of images and vids will crash Chrome every single time. Not just the tab, but the entire browser. Not just one browser but all of my open browsers.

:mad:

I have been using firefox for over a year and have loved it and I still use it for curtain things, but these two issues with Chrome remind me of IE way to much.

DV8, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  5. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes and as I said Chrome only really has hope of gaining Firefox's share, as most internet users do not have the knowledge that different browsers can be used to access the internet, or can be bothered to actually go and download one. Those users who are educated, use Firefox.

I'm not aruging with you here anyway, I hope it does turn out to be as great as it can be, but I really think it will struggle to gain significant market share.

wd_2k6, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  6. Website Templates

Website Templates Peon

Best Answers:
    the only difference between chrome and ff3 is that it uses a different engine to render javascript.

Website Templates, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't code for the web, do you?
    Coming in Firefox version 3.1 (I think). As fast or faster than Chrome's js.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You have much to learn grasshopper.

9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I was having lunch with one of my customers at his restaurant. The major financial institution across the street is one of his biggest customers. We were talking about dropping support for IE6 (he's a little tech savvy. Uses Firefox :) ). He said, "I don't know. Ask them!" So I called the HQ where they said they would not transfer me to the IT department and hung up on me. So I called one of their branch locations where the girl who answered the phone didn't know which browser they used (even though she used it but wouldn't click on help->about for me). Asked the question to one of their employees in the restaurant and she didn't know either. The guy's wife told me to find some guy cause these girls won't know :)D).
    Or grassroots movements. I started using FF because my son pushed me to use it, who was pushed by his gaming friends.

10. techrn

techrn Peon

Best Answers:
    I also noticed that it loads faster than FF, given the better way it processes javascript. Not ready to give up FF yet though with it's useful add-ons, especially web dev toolbar.

techrn, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  11. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I code for my users and my clients. Whatever you mean by 'for the web' it doesn't sound like a good thing.

What I meant was I'm getting sick to death of seeing pages using several hundred K of javascript to basically do framesets (see gMail, and of course how Microshaft basically boned Hotmail in the latest iteration) - avoiding the dreaded 'page refresh' as if it were the end of all things (god forbid) often at the cost of speed, bandwidth and time spent not only on development, but maintaining the fat bloated messes total RUBBISH like jquery, YUI, mootools, etc saddle you with. The pinnacle of this is when you combine this with flashtards - have fun with those one megabyte or larger websites consisting of hundreds of files doing little if anything useful for the end user apart from delivering a measly 1 to 3k of actual content.

... and a faster scripting engine just means more of this type of nonsense. SO looking forward to my 15mbps downstream delivering the same content SLOWER than I used to get on 56K dialup.

I'm certain it will have some practical uses, but it's ripe for abuse given the total abuse/misuse we see today.

deathshadow, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that Google will put a link ad to the Chrome page on their own home page. Given Google's ubiquity, I imagine it will draw off a few IE users, so not just from FF.

Until Chrome is ported to Linux, it's a non-starter for me. I don't imagine it will be long.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  13. Website Tiger

Website Tiger Guest

Best Answers:
    I personally dont see the difference in any of the browsers

Website Tiger, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  14. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably because you're not a developer. Those of us who are, do.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  15. ToKcu4eH

ToKcu4eH Banned

Best Answers:
    Mozilla FireFox is very nice browser.... (ver.3)

ToKcu4eH, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  16. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Gary:
    Here's your Chrome : )
    [​IMG]

I bit the bullet and dl'd it Tuesday. Yup, it's Safari, but without the bold letters and Aqua Abba Teen My Little Pony styling. It's useful for testing for the font differences alone, if your page has some things sized by character width.

That's what I guessed, AFTER it's out of BETA. But for now, it's the browser-users who are picking it up (FF Opera users).

So what exactly is the purpose of Chrome? Besides bringing more people into the Googleverse where soon any application you want to do gets done by (and monitored by) Google?

Scroogle needs its own browser now too : )

Stomme poes, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Google states that the purpose if to create a reference browser for other vendors to go by and push them to create modern, standards compliant browsers. This benefits Google in the display of their advertisement and services they provide, obviously, but Google says, "steal this code!". If no one used Chrome but everyone adapted its code in their own browser, so be it. It's good for the web and, consequently, good for Google.

The whole point is, if browsers improve due to Chrome, great. Even if no one ever uses it. Personally, I'm thinking/hoping the top 3 or 4 browsers become Firefox, Safari, and either Opera or Chrome. Hopefully, IE will disappear as web applications dominate since IE cannot render modern code.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 11, 2008 IP