1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google checks how long a domain is registered?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Chrissicom, Sep 27, 2005.

On godaddy.com they advertise domains to be bought for a longer period, i.e. 2 years or better more. They say Google punishes websites which are only registered for 1 year because it thinks those are just illegitimate doorway domains and good legitimate domains are registered for more than 1 year. I have never heard about this before and I would also never buy a domain name for 5 years or more because there could be a cheaper competitor by that time. Anyway has anyone of you ever hard about this?? I know that Google cares about the age of a website but that it also looks into the future how long the domain is registered is new to me lol :eek: soon Google will check if a server runs on Google Linux and will give those sites super results :rolleyes: :D *jk*

Chrissicom, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Yeah I heard about it, its supposed to be true. I dont know how it is for .nl and .co.uk domains, but we have had discussions about this topic a few times on these forums. Its true that a domain should be registered at least for 2 years. But how big the effect is, I dont know. Might be 0,0001% difference?

Dirkjan, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  3. scott.symbiotic.com

scott.symbiotic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a new one on me and I have no problem getting out of the sandbox in 2 months.

scott.symbiotic.com, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  4. arounddelhi

arounddelhi Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the more importanty thing should be since how many years your domain has been there.
    Anand

arounddelhi, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  5. soul-healer

soul-healer Peon

Best Answers:
    If more links pointing to your site than i will help your site to get out of google sand box more quickly is that true ...

I never heard of it before that google checks the registeration period might be effected but content is the thing that matter most so i think dont care for the registeration period concentrate what you are giving to the visitors this will increase google ranking alot.

soul-healer, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  6. BiznasGeek

BiznasGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't know that! Hope it's not true, I've only registered my domain for a year!

Does anyone know if we could get full registration of our domains, like for life?

BiznasGeek, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  7. ockert

ockert Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

Do you mind telling us how you do that?

ockert, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  8. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    Well the maximum registration period at GoDaddy is for 10 years I think. But I wouldn't do that, who knows what's in 10 years, maybe there's not even an Internet anymore because everything is censored or Google buys the internet or unimaginable things like that lol ;)

Chrissicom, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  9. nameeta

nameeta Peon

Best Answers:
    Websites which are old are preferred that I have read at alot of places but about the domain name been registered for a period longer than 1 year is a new one.Allthough it is fine that domains should be booked for more years but well I agree with Chrissicom we cannot be sure what will happen in 10 years as each day is a new day.

nameeta, Oct 1, 2005 IP
  10. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard it matters, but never seen proof.
    I normally only register domains for one year at a time and have never had problems.

jlawrence, Oct 1, 2005 IP
  11. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No , google will "punish" any website it's coming to it's database! not by date of the domain name registration , by the data it's first been inserted into google database! also if the domain name expired, and it's been re-registered, all back links will be lost, and it will become a PR0 again.
    also if it will come again into google database it will feel the sandbox effect. Sandbox means that your website will stay for a few months (not 2 years) just a few monts deep deep deep down in the google serps, not appering on revelant Searchs...and so on.
    They are doing this maiby more for atracting people to not do Search engine optimization but rather to buy Adwords
    :)

redhits, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  12. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sounds like a proper answer practically, came across some auctions for domain names which were registered 6 years back with no website.. google did not really care about this domain name.

but a website still alive since last 5+ years has lot of importance for google.

Another point to be considered:
    What happens for new tlds coming across every year ? google starts indexing many tlds from very first week of there site launch.

SaN-DeeP, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  13. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The google patent talks about give preference or extra weight to domains that have been registered for a longer period than one year. In the patent, they give an example of 10 years. The reason behind it is tha throw away domains used for cloaking etc. are less likely to pay for 10 years when they know the domain isn't going to be around that long.

Just because it is in the patent, it doesn't mean it is currently being used- and there is no telling how much extra weight it would give if it is. It doesn't have anything to do with getting out of the sandbox- just the possibility of ranking higher vs. a domain that might have been registered for only one year.

When google started the sandbox, they granfathered existing domains exempt from the sandbox PROVIDED there is no change in ownership. If you buy a domain name that was registered in 1999, it will be treated as a new domain as soon as the registrar information changes - this to prevent the sale of existing domains to get around the sandbox. This doesn't apply to developed domains - at least if the focus of the site doesn't change.

mjewel, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  14. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google checks NOT when the domain was registered, but the first date, when the domain was indexed in IT. :)

Cristian Mezei, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  15. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's not true. I had some domains I registered in 1999 and never used, and they were never subject to the sandbox when I developed them last year. Google granfathered domain names only, developed sites were never subject to the sandbox when they started using it. Every new domain has been sandboxed for three months from creation date, even though some of them I didn't get around to developing them for 1 to 1 1/2 months later. I haven't added any new domains in the last three months, so perhaps it has recently changed.

mjewel, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  16. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please remember... Not all websites enter the sandbox.

INMHO, to not arrise another debate, google checks the first time a domain is indexed, and not the date when it was registered.

Cristian Mezei, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  17. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that Google checks the first time a domain is indexed too.
    Yes, if a domain has expired completely and is rereged the BL's are lost. But I maintain that you can re-reg a domain quick enough that this doesn't happen.
    If done quick enough, the effect is much the same as a simple transfer of ownership and IBL's aren't lost.
    In fact, assuming that the IBL's actually still exist. Google will still find them and re-attribute them to the site, regardless of whether the domain expired or not.

jlawrence, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  18. elkiwi

elkiwi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've registered my main site for 10 years and have others which i update yearly. For now I haven't noticed and difference in the way google treats either.

I'm still not anywhere to be found for my main keywords after 3 months in google on my 10 year domain but i have had a couple of referals from G for some strange terms.

elkiwi, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  19. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are making good money with your site, I think it is worth the risk to put a little bit back into your domain registration. Plus, you can usually get steep discounts when you register for longer periods of time.

my3cents, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  20. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I have heard this conjecture but sounds like old wives tale to me.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 23, 2005 IP