1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Checkout 'Buy Now' Passcode?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by Tony Brar, Apr 6, 2013.

Hi guys,

I'm implementing Google Checkout on my site to allow users to buy virtual coins.
    2013-04-06_0919.png
    I'm fairly sure that I understand the idea of a key.
    Here's my understanding:

• The person clicks 'Buy Now' on my site.
    • They are taken to Google Wallet to confirm their purchase.
    • They purchase the item.
    • They get this 'key' thing.
    • They somehow use the key to unlock the content.
    Is this correct?
    If not, please correct me.
    But I must not understand.
    Say five people want to buy access to the file, and the 'Key' is 'keyme' (for our purposes).
    One of the people buys the key, but then decides to sell it themself.
    Wouldn't it be possible for someone to do that?
    It seems like they would be able to buy it once and then give or sell they key to others, basically making the money instead of me.
    But Google can't be that stupid, so please tell me how I am wrong.

Thanks,
    -Tony

Tony Brar, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  2. kemasii

kemasii Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes you are correct.

kemasii, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  3. Tony Brar

Tony Brar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then how do I stop my users from sharing the passcode so people can't get the content for free?

-Tony

Tony Brar, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  4. kemasii

kemasii Active Member

Best Answers:
    you need to limit the download the best thing tis you zip and protect the content on its own and limit it to 1 download and allow them to buy the key not the download. Password downloads are not a simple task. People will always find a way around them. There may be a script that allows this to be possible but i have not found one or found a way to do it. The link should be set on a secure URL so that it is only accessable after the purchase not just a link that could be typed in. Keep in mind that google only gives you basic processing so I would not expect to much from them when it comes to securing your digital downloads that is more for you to figure out.

kemasii, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  5. Tony Brar

Tony Brar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, let me just tell you how I think this would work:
    1. The user clicks 'Buy Now' on my site.
    2. They are taken to Google Wallet.
    3. They buy whatever I'm selling.
    4. They are redirected to the page on my site where they can access the 'Digital Goods' I'm selling.
    5. When the user is taken to that page, Google confirms with my page's script that the user did actually buy the content instead of just visiting the page.
    6. The user gets the content.
    Here's my thinking of how I might do this:
    1. The user clicks 'Buy Now' on my site.
    2. Before they are taken to Google Wallet, my script generates a *unique* alphanumeric sequence as a passcode and gives it to Google.
    3. They are taken to Google Wallet and buy what I'm selling.
    4. They are redirected to the page on my site where they can access the 'Digital Goods' I'm selling.
    5. To access the digital goods, the person must enter the alphanumeric sequence that I gave to Google and Google gave to them after they bought access to the content.
    6. The user gets the content.
    To put it more simply, a new passcode is generated every time someone is going to buy my content.
    Therefore, Google sells a different passcode each time.
    That way, each person has to buy the content instead of just getting the codes free.
    How can I achieve this?

Thanks,
    -Tony

6. kemasii

kemasii Active Member

Best Answers:
    That would likely be a self built script with a merchant and would not happen or be possible with google check out. They will not try to incorporate that because the technical side of it would vary site to site. Plus Licensees on software or downloads should be handled by the script so that Google does not have to hold liability. what your are wanting means that google would have to communicate with your script that is not what google is a about think of Google as linear not so dynamic. Yes they have some dynamic ability but it is limited there are a few sites out there that will let you upload to them and prestore keys for downloads but this has been a problem that has plagued the net for many years. some one may know a way to solve your problem more efficiently but i think the use of licenses for download is a long stretch and can be achieved alot easir in other ways no matter what you do some one will find a way around it

kemasii, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  7. Tony Brar

Tony Brar Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I limit the file to one download, wouldn't I have to make a new key each time after someone buys the content?
    I mean, I want as many people to buy it as possible, obviously.
    Here is what I believe you are saying (I'm a fan of bullet points):
    • The user buys the content.
    • They receive a passcode.
    • They head over to my link.
    • If they are the first person with the passcode they enter, they are allowed access to the content.
    • If they not the first person with that passcode, they are denied access to the content.

Is that what you mean?
    If so, wouldn't I have to make a new passcode every time someone bought the content?
    If I didn't, they wouldn't be allowed to buy the content, and that's not good.

-Tony

8. kemasii

kemasii Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes you would have to because there is not a script that is designed to generate a new code every time you download and then respond to google to distribute a new code this would be like a pasword change every time and not really be easy to do with a merchant. If you have skype please let me know your skype id and i can answer your questions a little more accurate and maybe help you

kemasii, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  9. Tony Brar

Tony Brar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help.
    I am going to try looking at the Google Checkout API and see if I can accomplish what I want.

Thanks a lot!
    -Tony

10. kemasii

kemasii Active Member

Best Answers:
    you cant unfortunately i wish that it were posible the only way is to manipulate the system some how . Perhaps if you give it a couple days in the forum we may both learn something but so far i dont see it as possible. You are welcome I hope you the best on your venture.

kemasii, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  11. Tony Brar

Tony Brar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, thanks :)
    I'll need to learn how to use their API anyway, so I will read through the info.