1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google changed its algorithm by adding one more factor -- file name, folder name

Discussion in 'Google' started by hans, Mar 29, 2004.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The problem isn't that Unix doesn't LIKE capital letters -- it's that it treats them as unique.

For the domain name, regardless of the server type, www.mydomain.com is the same as www.MyDomain.com ...

Howver, if your site is hosted on a Unix server, www.mydomain.com/MyPage.html and www.mydomain.com/mypage.html are seen as separate pages, while on a Windows server, they are seen as the same page.

For uniformity, it's therefore best to use lowercase page names.

minstrel, May 10, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember this being long time ago, maybe I missed the filename part.

City2, May 10, 2005 IP
  3. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I kind of left out one part of the idea.
    You should use the filenames as breadcrumbs (/camping/tents.html, /camping/sleeping-bags.html, /camping/bag-tent-combos.html) regardless of the domain. Without hyphens or the additional filename or folder, sleepingbagsandtents is useless. Sand bag? Ping ten?
    Perhaps 'and' hurts more than it helps.
    I'd think that Google would give extra credit to sleepingbagsandtents com/sleeping-bags.html for allinurl:sleeping bags because it can then see the domain is meaningful - it sees sleeping bags right off the bat. It may not highlight it, but it seems to add something. (The slumberjack result showing in the top 10 for Google is interesting for other reasons...)
    Just as there are many types of bags, there are other kinds of tents. Surgical, party, circus. By throwing in a directory, camping, and filling it with content about tents and sleeping bags, the whole url becomes meaningful for sleeping bags, tents, and camping.
    You could also then easily add keywords like camping stoves, cookware, etc.

NetMidWest, May 11, 2005 IP
  4. Estrange

Estrange Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed this issue about 2-3 months ago and posted at seochat. Don't remember who was, but someone said it's just highlighting purposes. I found it so logical.
    As Compar mentioned, it doesn't highlighting capital letters this is another evidence for me that again this mostlikely just highlight filter.
    At the end of the day I use keywords in my page file names. As I'm %100 sure at least MSN uses as a ranking factor.

Estrange, May 15, 2005 IP
  5. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Havent read all messages, but as far as I know, this is a high factor, of getting your website over optimalized. Be careful when changing all directory names into keywords. You might hit Google filters. It happend to me :p

Dirkjan, May 16, 2005 IP