1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google BL Algo!

Discussion in 'Google' started by webmaster, Jul 16, 2005.

Hi All,

This is my firts post in this forum.
    Well Google has done its PR update & backlinks update. Shuffling is still going on in data center for keywords ranking.

We all know that Google doesn't show all BL as comparison to Yahoo!.

But the question is that why Google is picking only small bunch of sites and why them only, not other's where link is placed ?

Can anyone help me in finding out, how google determines backlinks. When i check my BL in Yahoo they are in thousands and while check same in Google showing in hundreds.

Google is prefering which site & why for the BL's? As all sites/ pages where my link is placed they are in Google's cache having PR too. But, not visible in BL.

While checking BL, major pages are from my site.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance....

webmaster, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google counts all links to your site... but only report back to you a random sample of those links.

(all links being a generalisation, but safe to say if yahoo acknowledge the link exists then google probably look on it favourably too).

Dominic, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  3. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Never mind what google or any other search engine reports back to you about a domain in terms of backlinks or pagerank or whatever else... other than the performance of the site in the *search results* for the keywords the site is targeting.

PS - welcome and very cool username!

Dominic, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  4. webmaster

webmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Dominic,

what do u mean by random sample of those links ?

your second sentence you said google probably look on it favourably, Ok it might be right but, why only selected links is shown while link command is executed.

webmaster, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  5. Dominic

Best Answers:
    A random sample means, they just pick by chance a handful of links to report as examples of all the links they know about going to that page.

Previously, the google link comand reported back links to a page with pr4 or higher. Then they moved to a random sample. The proportion of links reported also seems to be random... e.g. 50% of all links for some sites 15% of links for other sites.

Why? Because they just decided to. So it's rendered the link comand pretty much usless in terms of getting info out of google about links. Insted, people just query yahoo, or msn. yahoo reports on links to a page and total links to a domain (includes links to all pages in the domain.

Just query yahoo like this (notice one requires http:// the other doesn't).

link:www.digitalpoint.com
    linkdomain:http://www.digitalpoint.com

I'd say it's safe to assume that if yahoo reports the link, then google knows it's there too, so does msn and they all give credit for it... between the three search engines though, they just credit a page for links to it in different ways, valuing different qualities.

Dominic, Jul 17, 2005 IP
    GTech and DarrenC like this.
  6. webmaster

webmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for explaining.

webmaster, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  7. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I might add that a better place to ckeck links is MSN or Yahoo.
    Often I check there, and then click over to the sites in the search results to see the rank of the pages via my google toolbar.

Really, I think google should provide all the links since the information is freely available anyway.

dvduval, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Google can do what they want, but even if you did know the number of links on Google what difference would it be to how you optimise your website?

DarrenC, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  9. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One explanation would be that if "sitexyz.com" ranked for "x" term in google.. competitor sites could easily look at all their backlinks and know how they got to number 1.

It also prevents a lot of software/scripts that came out from working as well.

yo-yo, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  10. webmaster

webmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I just want to know the Google's strategy for showing back links.
    It might conclude answers for lots of questions like : -

> To which site it is giving importance.
    > Why only those links were shown rather than the others.
    > Some site's have few links but, they are in top SERP.

Why all these uncertainity happens ?
    As today every webmaster is focusing in building links (natura or paid). But not getting top listing. Apart from the back links there is alot things which matter for getting top rank.

Thanks

webmaster, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  11. webmaster

webmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Which has more impact for SERP on page optimization or off page optimization.
    guess some proportion, if any.

webmaster, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  12. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    For me its your off page that count the most... the more related sites that link to you the better ranking youll have. :)

boohlick, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  13. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    search engines have different algorithms..for google, off page is a big factor considering your # of inbound links while yahoo, on page is a plus.

bentong, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  14. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Webmaster: Yahoo is usually better to check backlinks than MSN. Also use the linkdomain:www.domain.tld command instead of link:http://www.domain.tld command in Yahoo. The linkdomain command shows the inbound links for the whole domain where the link command only shows the inbound links for one page.

bobmutch, Jul 26, 2005 IP
    Liminal likes this.
  15. subhendu

subhendu Peon

Best Answers:
    Surprisingly, I find 5,340 backlinks in yahoo and absolutely ZERO in Google!

Subhendu
    http://www.allindianews.in

subhendu, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  16. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    At the moment, nothing with G surprises me.
    They datacenters are still not in sync from the update the other week, so various searches are all over the place.

jlawrence, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  17. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

It's because you registered the domain less than a month ago. You'll have to wait for the next update- and no one can tell you when that will be. You'll probably be sandboxed for at least 3 months so I wouldn't worry about backlinks showing immediately.

mjewel, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  18. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    subhendu: Google displays a sample of their backlinks about every 30 days. The last time the blacklink figure was updated was July 14th. There should be another update shown around Aug 14 and at that time you should show some backlinks. Keep in mind that it is only a sample of backlinks.
    Here is a quote from GoogleGuy on not showing all backlinks, yes I know most people know this.
    forums.searchenginewatch.com/showpost.php?p=23005&postcount=28

Here is a resource that shows the history of backlink updates for the last 5 years.
    www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/page-rank-update-list.html

The sandbox that mjewel noted is difference in some peoples opinion. Your links will be sandboxed for about 9 months or more. That means you will not rank high for any competitive terms in Google for 9 months or more. They filter out the ranking weight your inbound links have. How ever this doesn't mean you will not see a sample of them.

bobmutch, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  19. subhendu

subhendu Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies...

This means, for the newly registered sites, Google gives you credits only after they are sure enough that you are putting enough of your efforts to maintain your websites.

It takes Google 9 months to accept a 'real' site! Isn't Google treating us like its children? :D

But mothers take 'huge' care to their to-be-borns during these 9 months. What care does google take to the new sites during this time? Google is an ever pregnant mother who always likes elder ones [just kidding :p]

Subhendu

subhendu, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  20. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    subhendu: "It takes Google 9 months to accept a 'real' site! Isn't Google treating us like its children?"
    Google may have a number of reasons for doing this but one of them may be to stop spammers of their index for getting right back into the index after they have been banned. Google has a very big problem with spammy sites that are just there for adsense or are using black hat techniques to get high rankings in the search engine results position.

bobmutch, Jul 28, 2005 IP