1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Banning DMOZ Open Directory Clones?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by kjnetworks, Apr 6, 2006.

kjnetworks, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  2. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been using a portion of the DMOZ at one of my sites. It is part A of a bigger project.

However, it is located in its own directory and my robots.txt files contains the declaration "Disallow: /directory/"

I have backed that up by including the following tag in the headers of all files in the directory section on the site:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex nofollow">

I was concerned about reports of sites being penalized for using parts of the DMOZ and until I create my own version I do not want it indexed or followed. However, it is not intended to draw people into my site. It is intended to provide a service to those who are visiting.

clancey, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  3. websiteideas

websiteideas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would you think that Amazon clones might be banned as well?

websiteideas, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think Google has been working toward discounting these DMOZ clones for some time. This is the first time anyone has suggested that Google might be BANNING them, though, and frankly I'm a little dubious. First, if Google wanted to ban them, why ban only 37%? Second, Google has always shown a preference for algorithm changes over manual intervention - banning means manual intervention - discounting certain types of links and pages/sites can be done programmatically - and in that case closer to 100% of thses clone sites would be affected.

minstrel, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  5. nate_king1

nate_king1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think Google will Ban itself for it owns use of ODP, this is sad news. SEO for people is now getting tougher. But really I mean $70/year you can get your own clone within hours providing backlinks and Adsense revenue. I know my friend as a ton of them. He will be sad to hear this.

nate_king1, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  6. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I have heard Matt say its very easy for them to finger print and discount links from dmoz clones.... but I dont think they are banning

Shoemoney, Apr 12, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. nate_king1

nate_king1 Active Member

Best Answers:

Can you explain a bit more?

nate_king1, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    There is a difference between negating links as contributory backlinks and banning the page or site that contains those backlinks.

Google is much more likely to simply ignore or discount links from a DMOZ clone than to ban the clone site.

minstrel, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  9. tryme1

tryme1 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think this is one of those ridiculous rumours, backed by no hard evidence, that often originates at WebMasterWorld and is then disseminated as fact.

tryme1, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I never go to WebmasterWorld. And I don't think it's ridiculous at all - the only surprising thing to me is that Google didn't do it ages ago - then again, maybe Google did do it ages ago.

minstrel, Apr 12, 2006 IP