1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Backlinks Discrepancy

Discussion in 'Google' started by msbaby, Jul 17, 2011.

After reading another thread on how to check your backlinks, I thought I would give it a shot.

I did the recommended search of link: mydomain in the Google searchbox which indicated that I had "X" number of links.

Then I followed another poster's advice and looked in webmaster tools to see who was linking to me.

I expected to find more backlinks in webmaster tools, and I did, but I also found that some of the links that popped up from the link: mydomain search were not represented in webmaster tools.

Why is this? Does this mean that some of the links from the initial search no longer count?

msbaby, Jul 17, 2011 IP
  2. SEOPunk

SEOPunk Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi There,

Google webmasters data is much more reliable than other sources because you have inserted the webmasters code in your website and the data by Google webmasters tools is much more accurate than the Google or there is one more thing that can happen, the number of backlinks could have changed and Google webmasters tool may not have updated its data.

It all about updated data, otherwise both are reliable source of information.

SEOPunk, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  3. andrewnell21

andrewnell21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Webmaster Tools reported backlinks were so sparse that it looked that Google was purposely trying to change the links that were providing the greatest PageRank value being passed on to their site. It is not an exaggeration to indicate that Google Webmaster Tools as a backlink checker historically was so badly as to only be minimally useful.

andrewnell21, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  4. DanielJames

DanielJames Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try to use Google webmaster tool, it will give you better and reliable data.

DanielJames, Aug 26, 2011 IP