1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google and big players...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by plmerlin, Jan 31, 2005.

I learn so much here that I'll never be thanksful enough :)

So reading and understanding the importance of meta tag, keywords, relevancy in page ranking that we improved and still improving our website.

Being curious, I looked :eek: at our big competitors (expedia, orbitz) meta tags...

It's empty... nothing nada rien. I get: Found no description meta tag, no keyword not even robot meta tags!

Do they hide them? or just coz they blow so much cash with search engine that they get an automatic touchdown? (orbitz is PR7)...

plmerlin, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  2. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Pierre, meta tags are not really used by anyone these days to help rank a page. The page <title> tag is important to a number of search engines, but the keyword tag is pretty much obsolete.

chachi, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  3. SanDiego

SanDiego Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen sites that have everything hidden.. no source code, when you save it it's blank, no anything... try spying how they made it so nice without the code...lol

SanDiego, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't bother with metatags. Big companies don't have to be concerned with that kind of thing because their media blitzes generate large amounts of backlinks in and of themselves. Also, the big players in the industry usually are the ones end users are looking for. When I search for travel info, I expect to see the big guys near the top of the results.

MetaTags are important for the rest of us for a few reasons. Some search engines still use metatags and value them. The value of the keywords metatag is dramatically shrinking from abuse.

What they are important for is backlinks. Eventually, somebody will spider your site and list it in a directory. If you have the metatags in place, they'll probably use your metatags for the title, description, and maybe they'll list keywords too.

When I ran my directory building script, I just dropped the sites without metatags because I didn't want to have to go in and search for whether or not the sites had relevant titles, and I didn't want to spend the time extending my script to grab page snippets for descriptions. Those without the metas simply missed out.

They aren't required, they aren't even required for good listings, but with the minimal time it takes to create them, the benifit is there.

nevetS, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you are as big as those guys, you don't need meta tags.

NewComputer, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have an example? I would be more interested in seeing WHY they are hiding...

NewComputer, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There is really one search engine I know of that actually requires meta tags for in order to submit a site. Some how I think meta tags have become useless in the eyes of most SE's as of late. It certainly does not hurt to have them though.

Mia, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  8. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Look harder. The only way to hide source is through Javascript, and even then you can find it. Unless they built the whole site in FLASH.

Usually, sites will place a couple hundred blank lines BEFORE the <HTML> tags, so the source will look blank when someone tries to read it. Scroll down, and tadah! the elusive source code will be in view.

roadies, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  9. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    Is this what you are after...

>>>http://www.orbitz.com
    Meta Description: The most low fares for airline tickets, hotels reservations, car rentals, travel deals, cruises and vacation packages.
    Meta Keywords: Orbitz, airline tickets hotels car rentals travel deals vacation packages low fares airfare hotel reservations travel cruises<<<

If so use this http://www.whois.sc

Cyclops

Cyclops, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  10. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    I use http://www.whois.sc/ too :) and for expedia, it's empty.

I totally agree with you but nevertheless I'll keep my keywords relevant.

Do you think that BL will stick around long as there is more and more BL spam every day?

plmerlin, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd love to see a viable alternative.

SEbasic, Feb 1, 2005 IP