1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Analytics referral spam

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Mehdi.b, Aug 9, 2015.

We have faced several issues ourselves with spam referrals from unknown sources, with various different clients. One of the things that can help us understand the correct traffic flow is to filter them out. My friend wrote an article here: Alexanders
    I have also copied the article here, this might help some of you guys to block spam referrals, Good luck

Google Analytics Referral Spam
    August 10th, 2015
    If you use Analytics software you may have noticed some strange websites popping up in your referral acquisition report and making your bounce rates look worse than they used to. Here at Alexanders we have seen an increasing trend in ‘spammy’ robot referrals and ‘ghost referrals’.

Ghost traffic is when there is never actually a visit to the site – but rather just a “spoof” of a session using fake HTTP requests. These spam referrals or ‘bots’ scan the internet, crawling links and reading code. Not all bots are bad: Google uses them to search and index online content, making it available in their SERP’s (search engine results pages).

While the motivation behind bots is varied, for many it seems to be with the purpose of getting traffic back to their own sites. If you see a website referral show up that looks a bit suspect (e.g. semalt.com, 100dollars-seo.com or free-social-buttons.com), whatever you do don’t visit the site, just in case they are a malicious.

So, why is referral spam so bad?
    Referral spam is causing Analytics headaches by clouding the accuracy of engagement and inflating traffic volumes. For a large site, it might not make much of difference, but for smaller companies where they generally get on average 20-50 sessions a day – it is likely that a very high percentage of the traffic will be spam. If the referral sources are malicious, they could potentially be looking for plugin and server vulnerabilities. If the server gets overloaded, site load times can be quite slow and result in high bounce rates.

[​IMG]

We’ve seen that average bounce rates are much higher (15% higher than they used to be and in worst cases, anywhere to 70% upwards) and time on page is minimal.

Mehdi.b, Aug 9, 2015 IP
  2. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same issue before but it is okay now, though there are still few referral traffic spam left.
    I still get some from websitetraffic site, I don't know how to block it. I have already enable filter spam bot and it helps but still I get few more spam trffic.

Patricia Ann Lee, Aug 9, 2015 IP
  3. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am digging in my notes and soon will send you the link to how to fix the issue. hope it helps

Mehdi.b, Aug 10, 2015 IP
  4. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mehdi.b, Aug 10, 2015 IP