1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Analytics - Question about "Direct Traffic"

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by christian231, Sep 14, 2008.

This is probably a basic question, but if I'm showing that 51% of my visitors are from "Direct Traffic", how exactly are these people getting to my site. I can't believe that 20,000 people per month are directly typing my URL into their browsers, my site is not that well know. I get about 40K-50K unique views per month. I'd really like to know where these 20,000 people are coming from.

christian231, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  2. iLine.us

iLine.us Banned

Best Answers:
    That is a really bizarre problem. I will definitely be interested in hearing the solution to this.

Oh, and congratulations on your 1,000th post! :)

iLine.us, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  3. abercrombie

abercrombie Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe you can make a feedback question on the front page of your blog asking where people came from and ask them to reply in the comments section.

abercrombie, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  4. seogoogletips

seogoogletips Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you've got a lot of return visitors. If your reporting time is set to 1 month they could be classed as unique visitors, but just coming in monthly ? Just a possible explanation..

seogoogletips, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's not a problem at all! It's actually a really good thing to have, plenty of return visitors or type-in traffic.

I'm guessing the site is a forum?

dcristo, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  6. seo.king44

seo.king44 Banned

Best Answers:
    bounce rate is good, it proves how much your site is sticky amongst the readers.

seo.king44, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  7. Husam

Husam Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, Do you email your visitors with a news letter? if you do and your visitors open your email using outlook then GA will include those visits to the direct traffic.

Husam, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  8. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses. Actually it's a niche game site (not the one in my sig).

Up until a month ago, I had 89% of my traffic coming from organic google searches. Then, for some reason, I dropped down to 50% organic google searches...OVERNIGHT!. My keyword rankings didn't change, so I can't figure out why my SE traffic was almost cut in half. Now my direct traffic is at 50%, which I also can't figure out. I don't send out an email newsletter or anything like that. My bounce rate is around 29% give or take.

christian231, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  9. analyticsjack

analyticsjack Peon

Best Answers:
    Have your visits dropped significantly?

analyticsjack, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  10. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, by about 400 visitors per day. I can't find where the loss of traffic is coming from though. My search engine traffic is way down, but I have the same keyword positions. It's just weird.

christian231, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  11. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is odd... Sorry I don't bring much to the table here, but let us know if you figure out what caused this!

Letcha, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  12. dataentrypak

dataentrypak Peon

Best Answers:
    I Think there is Some robot hits, not always all the hits are real

dataentrypak, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  13. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Your far more experienced than myself. Maybe you can tell me what is wrong with my logic and I'll learn something. I'm all for that!

You said your visits are down.
    and
    Your SE visits are down.

Then you're direct traffic percentage would go up. it is just how the match works. :) You didn't get more direct, you got less SE.

You have a good bounce rate so you've got a lot of folks coming back so yea they probably are coming back. Repeat would still be direct, no?

I don't know how you are monitoring your keyword position but that might be faulty. It is unlikely that a massive amount of people changed their search behavior over night unless it was a very trendy subject like "super bowl."

So less people are finding your keywords. Either people stopped searching or you have been downgraded. Also, you're bound to have keywords that you don't realize you have. Another thing someone might have better keywords for the same subject.

You've got some dang nice stats there, wish I had your problems. LOL Perhaps in a few more years I will. I'm still down in the hundreds range :(.

As an afterthought if Google detected your use of an automated keyword ranking took like Webpostion Gold they might have busted you for it.

Sickthing, Sep 21, 2008 IP