1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Analytics IP tracking !

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Charlee22, May 22, 2007.

Hello Guys,

Does anybody know if Google Analytics is able to track IP Addresses for each visitor to your site ?

If yes, where can I see this information in my account ?

Thanks for your help.

Charlee22, May 22, 2007 IP
  2. suni12

suni12 Banned

Best Answers:
    Exact information is not known but they track everything.

suni12, May 23, 2007 IP
  3. Charlee22

Charlee22 Guest

Best Answers:
    I am pretty sure they can track everything, but I wanted to know if Analytics provides IP Address information to the Users of the service.

I know Google Analytics has option that can show you conversion or sales once it has been set up, but does anybody know if it also provides the IP Addresses of those conversions or sales ?

Charlee22, May 23, 2007 IP
  4. Spartan_Strategy

Spartan_Strategy Peon

Best Answers:
    Google resolves all of the IP's to hosts. You can view these which are even more valuable. You can look and see who visits your site who may have not contacted you. We use this to sort by time on site and then look at what companies have visited and then we call them. This is a good tactic!

Spartan_Strategy, May 23, 2007 IP
  5. Charlee22

Charlee22 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for the input.

The reason I am asking if Google Analytics provides IP Addresses for each Conversion or Sale is that so I can trace the IP and see where the Sale originated from. This is kind of a Online Fraud Deterent measure.

The fraud usualy originates from a foreign country, in many cases Nigeria. But the fraudsters are very clever and what they is the following.

They will use someone elses card info and have all the billing info needed. Since most US companies have stoped shipping to certain countries because of the many fake orders from those countries, the fraudsters have the packages shipped within the US to a middle man, who then ships the packages to the final destination.

To deter this, Online businesses must use IP tracing for orders that seem fishy or suspicious and if the IP trace shows that the order originated from a country that does not match the Billing info, they can avoid the mistake.

I hope this makes sense.

Charlee22, May 23, 2007 IP
  6. Spartan_Strategy

Spartan_Strategy Peon

Best Answers:
    If your using this to detect fraud you may want to add some of your own tracking into you order process to collect the IP. This way on every order you have a direct correlation of who purchased. You can also put in code to ban specific ranges of IP such as countries that you don’t want people ordering from or even better restrict access to even see your site if they are from one of you blocked countries. This is a very common issue so I’m sure you can find a lot of sample code online.

Spartan_Strategy, May 25, 2007 IP
  7. Charlee22

Charlee22 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input "Spartan_Strategy" I will also look into some tracking sofwares as well.

why the angry face "hacklin" ? ?

Charlee22, May 28, 2007 IP
  8. dipali

dipali Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can track ip address in google analytics. please read this blog carefully, http://intermarketing.merkados.com/ip-address-google-analytics

dipali, Nov 4, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  9. sanjaykrishna

sanjaykrishna Guest

Best Answers:
    I feel he is right.

sanjaykrishna, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  10. jaycenorman9

jaycenorman9 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can track analytics IP through customer variables in new Google analytics.

jaycenorman9, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  11. William Emmanual

William Emmanual Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Its rather easy - you can use one of your Custom Variables to do so.

Just get your Server to write the requesting Browser's IP address as a value to your Custom Variable and it will get recorded in the GA implementation.

Let me know if you still want to know coding details.

Regards,
    - Will
    http://enziq.com/site/Solutions/Services.html

William Emmanual, Jun 10, 2013 IP
  12. VworkingForce

VworkingForce Banned

Best Answers:
    If this is the reason i suggest you install a more sophisticated IP-tracking system on your website to trace this fraudulent movement.Because google analytical tool does have a limited features.I don't think this tool are that effective because they where meant for marketing tracking and not fraudulent tracking.

IP tracking tool for fraud's are more sophisticated than simple advertising tracking tool. So they perform different function.

A simple research on google can help you find such tools use such term as "fraud protection,reduce fraud" i'm sure you will find similar company who are responsive for the safety & security system on craigslist.

I hope it help. I'm also available for further assistance.

Thanks
    Chuck (CEO Vworking Force)

VworkingForce, Jun 14, 2013 IP