1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Analytics - dodgy stats

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by liam1412, Sep 16, 2007.

The awstats in my CPANEL shows I have lots more traffic than google analytics. Which do I beleive??

Also I have implemented a banner impression counter on my site and the impressions. When checked against adsense the impressions counted for adsense are no where near as many as my other banners have between them. (there is an adsense box on every page where there is banner rotation)

Thanks god google isn't a cpm based ad scheme thats all I can say.

liam1412, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  2. ArtfulWebSites

ArtfulWebSites Peon

Best Answers:
    Your counters may be counting bots and agents, while Google Analytics only counts "humans". Have you tried contacting Google support?

ArtfulWebSites, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  3. Tehy

Tehy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm having the same problem... I just don't know what is causing it.

Tehy, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  4. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    forget awstats. Its a server based analytics.
    Browser based analytics like google analytics are more accurate compared to server based ones.

djrishi, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  5. Tehy

Tehy Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure? I have always thought awstats is better because it's server based...

I think Google analytics tracks only users with JavaScript turned on, so that might be one reason, why the stats are so different.

Tehy, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  6. Sphinks

Sphinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Analytics does not count robots and spiders, awstats do!

Sphinks, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  7. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    Awstats can have other issues, if your using ajax, thats counted as another page load when its not. Unidentified spiders will rack up page impressions too.

Analytics has disadvantages such as mobile phones dont run javascript properly, but seriously your not going to rack up that much pages unless you are actually all about mobile sites...

As for desktops, its impossible to use the internet without javascript (ajax websites would be a disaster) so really it should be very little who dont have javascript.

Pierce

Pierce, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  8. sanderson

sanderson Peon

Best Answers:
    GA is more accurate.
    You can go ahead and experiment with it.
    It will take some time though to find out on your own.
    I believe GA would be able to give you the detail statistics of what kind of user has been visited to your site. There are other tools too, which gives you the interpretations of server logs. But I don't really liked them at all.
    If anybody has used some other useful tools, I would like to give a try.
    Thanks.

sanderson, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  9. Deusdies

Deusdies Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think GA is more accurate - I mean, which more do you believe? Together AWStats and Webalizer (both showing same stats) showing stats based on SST (server side technology), or the JavaScript-based Google Analytics based on CST ?

Deusdies, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  10. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said. awstats or webalizer in CPanel will show scrapers, bots, and other junk as valid hits. Google Analytics is also muc more observant of unique visits.

Bryce, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  11. sanderson

sanderson Peon

Best Answers:
    What made you think that? Would love to know.

12. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    doesn't your analytics and adsense impression stats show about the same numb ers?

and a lot of organizations turn javascript off. the two colleges I attended in the last 4 years both turned javascript off and the internet browsing experience is just fine....that is almost 20,000 web users in new york alone...

oseymour, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  13. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Awstats counts quite close to what analytics does.. so there must be some other problem like "code not on every page" or something like that.

jimkarter, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  14. sanderson

sanderson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that could be one of the possible reason.
    Most people put it on homepage only.

15. gostats

gostats Peon

Best Answers:
    It's always a good idea to have multiple ways to track your hits. <plug>Try out GoStats - a realtime stats alternative</plug>

gostats, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  16. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    why pay when analytics is totaly free?

People often forget that analytics is urchin stats. For thoes looking at pricing of urchin before google bought them out it was $5,000 per domain. I dont think any other stats service is going to compare.

Pierce

Pierce, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  17. acash

acash Peon

Best Answers:
    ive used tons of analytics software like HBX and webtrends, and Goog analytics is dead on in stats!

acash, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  18. gostats

gostats Peon

Best Answers:
    GoStats is free too. ...but thanks for having an open mind :rolleyes:

gostats, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  19. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The difference is that awstats is a server based tool and google analytics is a browser based tool.

And as a result stats also varies for the same site. :)

Here's some basic differences:

Browser Based Tool (Google Analytics)

Advantages

-Produce accurate user data with less effort than log files.
    -Conversion Tracking

Limitations

-Implementation Effort

-JavaScript Disabled on Browser In the event that a user has JavaScript turned off on their browsers (currently estimated to be 2-3%), the potential exists to overlook the traffic from that segment of the population.

Server Based - Advantages (AWStats)

-Search Engine Spider Reporting
    -Server Error Code Reporting

Disadvantages

- Proxies Servers
    Proxy servers used by most major companies and major ISPs can create barriers for collecting data. For companies that rely on server-based measurements, proxy servers may prevent complete data from reaching the web server to be logged. For instance, if 3,000 people in a proxy group viewed a web page, the web server would only log it as one request because the proxy server requests the web page only once, and then distributes the web page to the 3,000 users in the proxy group.

- Similar issues may be caused by the use of browser navigation. When a visitor hits the "Back" or "Forward" button on their web browser, the web browser will use a locally cached copy of the web page that it saved from the last time the web page was visited.

- No Conversion Tracking

djrishi, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  20. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    My sentiments exactly. I run my own dedicated servers and to not have stats run for the 100+ domains on my server Google Analytics is a fantastic service. The more processes I can keep from running on my machines means my servers have more process left to handle the httpd and mysql requests. Plus, Analytics totally jams. The data representaion is brilliant.

This topic has come up on my forum several times and we figured out Analytics is smart enought not to count "bot" hits. When a "bot" or "spider" hits your page it has a different USER_AGENT in the request headers. Analytics trims off the hits that are not browser requests.

Additionally, Analytics requires a page fully load before logging a transaction because the Urchin code is the last thing before the </body></html> so partial requests aren't counted either. In a traditional stats package like AwStats, the hit is logged at connection, not a full page load. For my needs, I want only true, valid hits reported to me not bogus hits because real hits are hits that convert.

Any webmaster tracking conversions knows Analytics is the truest representation of data available.

Bryce, Oct 17, 2007 IP