1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Analytics - Bounce Rate

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by hsaleem, May 15, 2007.

Would anybody be interested in telling the bounce rate that Google Analytics is showing about your site?

Whether yes or no, please share your thoughts on what would be an acceptable bounce rate?

Thanks

hsaleem, May 15, 2007 IP
    Agent47 likes this.
  2. sonicdark

sonicdark Peon

Best Answers:
    I do Google Analytics consulting on the side

Instead of focusing on the site wide bounce rate I look at the average for the site and work to identify pages that have a higher than average exit rate

Then can then potentially revise the copy, add new pictures, or make it more enjoyable to the user and then we could introduce A/B or multi variant testing. It could be one of those or it could just be an old product. All of the factors will come into play.

I would say that an acceptable bounce rate just depends on your individual site. I have lead generation sites with 25% bounce rates and e-commerce sites with 50% bounce rates. Totally just depends on the site.

sonicdark, May 15, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  3. timallard

timallard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I def. concur.

timallard, May 15, 2007 IP
  4. z01d

z01d Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you guys be kind enough to explain to me the difference between bounce rate and exit rate?:eek:
    They seem exactly the same to me.

z01d, May 25, 2007 IP
  5. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    bounce rate is they come to your site and leave without looking around (so they view 1 page and leave)

exit rate is the page that most people have left on after looking around the site.

btw I love the new Google Analytics interface, there's so much more in it now :)

Dudibob, May 25, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  6. rdv817

rdv817 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just got done looking and could not find the reference page, but before analytics made the recent appearance change I had looked up bounce rate on the analytics help pages (somewhere) and they suggested that a 30% or better bounce rate is very good....That means that only 30% of your visitors are bouncing off.

The various pages on my site vary greatly in bounce rates. I have noticed that pages where I have heavy internal linking in the text have the best (lowest) bounce rates. Seems that visitors ignore the navigation bar on the side, top, and links in the footer, but they do follow the links embedded in the text of the articles.

rdv817, May 25, 2007 IP
  7. Bullfrog245

Bullfrog245 Peon

Best Answers:
    My bounce rate hovers around 35%-45%. Acceptable bounce rate is really determined by what your goal on a web page is. If a person's query is answered on the landing page, then a high bounce rate is fine. If you want someone to buy something on the next page, then a high bounce rate is bad.

Bullfrog245, May 25, 2007 IP
  8. totalmasala

totalmasala Banned

Best Answers:
    i have 30%-40% bounce rate and its allot!

totalmasala, May 26, 2007 IP
  9. satishtalim

satishtalim Peon

Best Answers:
    What is your suggestion for an acceptable bounce rate for a programming language tutorial site that I have?

satishtalim, May 26, 2007 IP
    amitpatel_3001 likes this.
  10. Bullfrog245

Bullfrog245 Peon

Best Answers:
    That depends enitrely on the information on the page. If the question someone has is answered on the landing page, then there will be a high bounce rate. I always search tutorial site for specific information, and the answers are usually on the first page I see.

I think that I would be more concerned by the time spent on the page, not the bounce rate. Just my $0.02

Bullfrog245, May 26, 2007 IP
  11. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the bounce rate is now around 45% for a gift site that I manage.......a year ago it was about 60%.

oseymour, May 26, 2007 IP
  12. schmeetz

schmeetz Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have a 30% bounce rate

schmeetz, May 26, 2007 IP
  13. satishtalim

satishtalim Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks that was helpful.

satishtalim, May 26, 2007 IP
  14. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    8.14% for my site. Just checked it yesterday.

Time spent on page on average is 00:01:32

1 minute 32 seconds :(

Nick_Mayhem, May 27, 2007 IP
  15. hsaleem

hsaleem Rocket!

Best Answers:
    hsaleem, May 27, 2007 IP
  16. NLC_Molly

NLC_Molly Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Bounce Rate must be taken in context...

Looking at the bounce rate on a site-wide basis or even just on a page-by-page basis may not provide you with the full picture if you don't dig into the real drivers of the bounce.

I've been experimenting recently with the segmentation feature in the "Content Detail Reports" and I think it can provide some very valuable insight.

Take a look at a page with a high bounce rate, then segment that page by source, keywords or network location and you begin to see things in a very different light...

Perhaps a certain inbound traffic source is driving up your bounce rate... or perhaps you're getting traffic from an irrelevant keyword...

I've posted a how-to article on digging deeper into Google Analytics Bounce Rates in my blog... I'm new here - is it ok to post the link?

I'd be curious to know what you think about this...

NLC_Molly, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  17. Alexander the Great

Alexander the Great Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly! I have a high bounce rate, but an average of about 5 minutes on each page.

Alexander the Great, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  18. Blackmane

Blackmane Peon

Best Answers:
    5 Mins, isn't bad. Most people would probably leave by an advert for that length of time.

Blackmane, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The bounce rate will be greatly affected by the nature of your website. For example, mine is a bible study site. I get a high percentage of my 1,350 daily visitors from the search engines. The typical visitor reads the specific study he/she came to the site for, and perhaps another related page or two. So the bounce rate will be fairly high (65%), since the majority of visitors arrive via a search engine looking for one specific issue. They read it, then leave.

By contrast, my daughter's website is a collection of beautiful photos. So she may have a typical visitor arrive and click through a dozen or more photos before leaving. That will result in a low bounce rate for her. So again, the nature of the website has a strong impact on the bounce rate.

Jim4767, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  20. NLC_Molly

NLC_Molly Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey Alexander the Great, have you determined why your bounce rate might be high?

I guess what I'm getting at is... Is there a particular site, keyword or network location that may be causing more bounced referrals than others? Is it something that can be fine-tuned?

Another question... I've heard rumors that Google incorporates bounce rates into their ranking algorithms... Is there any truth to this?

NLC_Molly, Oct 15, 2007 IP