1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google acknowledges problems with site: query

Discussion in 'Google' started by minstrel, May 19, 2006.

I have questioned in a few posts whether the problem with sites dropping out of Google's index is really a problem with dropped pages or an intentional or unintentional problem with the site: query. I've detailed elsewhere the reasons for my wondering about this.

Now, Google has at least partially admitted that there is a problem with results returned by the site: query...

Issues with the site: operator query
    By Vanessa Fox, Google Engineering

In my opinion, this is only part of the story but at least it's a partial acknowledgment of a problem, and not the pat "it was a problem with shady linking and it's already fixed" garbage that Matt Cutts handed us this week.

Note to Google: As a suggestion for future Matt Cutts "press releases", please don't start with the assumption that we're all idiots next time? :mad:

minstrel, May 19, 2006 IP
    Ajeet and Smyrl like this.
  2. goScooby

goScooby Peon

Best Answers:
    FINALLY they are willing to come clean rather than trying to blow smoke up our @sses as they have been doing for how many months now? Hopefully people will take this is a lesson and start using their common sense again (as you have long been doing minstrel) and start viewing Matt at just some guy with a blog rather than an SEO deity.

goScooby, May 19, 2006 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  3. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Matt Cutts should be fired for giving us such useless information. I am shocked Google themselfs came out and admited to a big issue like this.

SEO Jeff, May 19, 2006 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  4. Keone

Keone Peon

Best Answers:
    still my indexed pages are dropping. A few more every day. pages are nowhere to be found on google anymore and searches I normally got hits from now disappeared.

The "funny" :mad: thing is that the pages with my "real" content are nowehere to be found anymore...

page like contact - privacy policy - TOS - still appear but the pages where my site is about are dropping from the index.

All unique content, written by myself.

My site isn't big I only have like 50 pages or so but they now only show 9 pages in the index and none of my real content.

They only started to drop just recently but every day there is about one or two less.

The things I changed was to put a nofollow on the print option and some started adding nofollow's to other things in for instance my blog to remove the "loops" Matt spoke about a while ago and I added a footer to my pages.

Should I change this back and see if pages are getting reindexed again or should I wait a few longer and see how it works out? It did not affect my serps as of yet; the funny thing is that I'm actually crawling to a better position by two or three positions a day.

Danny
    keone.com

Keone, May 19, 2006 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  5. emil2k

emil2k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But is anybody but me seeing that this not just a site: query problem but a de-indexing problem, thus a drop in traffic...

Am I the only one who noticed a drop in traffic with the drop of the site: query #?

Seems what they are saying is the de-indexed pages will stay de-indexed :(

emil2k, May 20, 2006 IP
  6. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Well in that case I'm going to rush off and remove all the trailing slashes from my co-op urls.:D

MKInfo, May 20, 2006 IP
  7. jan.onesork

jan.onesork Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had indexed about 10,000 pages - and I have eight now :-/

No, it isn't only the "site:" problem - my pages lost their positions

jan.onesork, May 20, 2006 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  8. gdtechind

gdtechind Peon

Best Answers:

i also do not see Matt Cutts as someone really big, but some people consider him GOD of SEO and i have seen that whatever comes from his Blog is usually something people can know using their common sense.

gdtechind, May 20, 2006 IP
  9. chelsea

chelsea Peon

Best Answers:
    Posted my experience with being de-indexed and supplemental results quite some time ago now ( and this seems to be getting worse the longer we wait ).

When searching
    site: mydomain.com
    I get some 226 supplemental results. Used to get some 60.000 results before.

When searching
    site:mydomain.com/
    I get 1out of 2 results with this "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed."

When clicking on it all that is left is
    1 out of 1 results. My homepage - nothing else.

If it was not for the occasional visitor from G maps I would not get any traffic whatsoever from this search engine anymore.

Saying it is annoying is more than the truth.

chelsea, May 20, 2006 IP
  10. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Nintendo, May 20, 2006 IP
  11. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Mgoi minstrel for saving my heart and mind :)

I was feeling in problem with my one forum website because its site: # is very low now.

But i would admit google referral are also lowered in these days for that forum website.

Mong, May 20, 2006 IP
  12. finmere

finmere Peon

Best Answers:
    about time

finmere, May 20, 2006 IP
  13. Caios

Caios Peon

Best Answers:
    There more of a problem than there admiting. You can tell your pages are missing from the index without relying on site:

Caios, May 20, 2006 IP
  14. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my view, disinformation is a key factor in the role that Matt plays.

/tom/

longcall911, May 20, 2006 IP
  15. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    What am I missing here? What does NOT refeshing supplemental results have to do with the site: command? From what I've seen most "supplemental results" don't get refreshed that often anyway. When I first started seeing them pop into the search mix it was right around the time when Yahoo said it had a bigger index than Google and Google removed the # of pages in its index from their front page. I wonder if Yahoo somehow "baited" Google with that index size issue and Google fell for it?

markhutch, May 20, 2006 IP
  16. Basoone

Basoone Peon

Best Answers:
    So does this mean traffic from Google should not be affected? Good to here this is a problem on their side not on webmasters linking scheme. Tnx for the info minstrell..

Basoone, May 20, 2006 IP
  17. Nawaralsaadi

Nawaralsaadi Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks minstrel for the update, indeed it is time they said the truth rather then take us for a ride, and I agree with the comments posted here, it is not just the problems highlighted by them but the index is really losing pages and our google traffic went down to almost zero since this problem happened..

if this problem keep going for several weeks or even months, google might lose a chunk of its userbase.

Nawar

Nawaralsaadi, May 20, 2006 IP
  18. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Nice find Minstrel ... and as you mentioned, this is just one peice of the problem. G is just changing a spark plug, they need to replace the transmission aswell. Would be interesting to see if they will come out with another release outlining the other problems. Or hopefully someone will leak something out.

LaCabra, May 20, 2006 IP
  19. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Gracias for sharing...

ROAR, May 20, 2006 IP
  20. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hmm interesting thing is that release came from the "sitemaps team" ... does anyone else here find this peculiar?

LaCabra, May 20, 2006 IP