1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Goodbye

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Alucard, Nov 22, 2005.

1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Is there a BIN price and when does the auction ends? :D

gworld, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  2. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $700 and a hug.

GeorgeB., Nov 22, 2005 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I got a red rep from sarahk with following comment:

"gee, never realised I was dishonest and corrupt till now - sarahk"

Well Sara, ignorance is no defense. You must know by now that DMOZ is corrupt organization that can not be fixed and the right thing to do is to follow Alucard example and quit. ;)

Thank you for having the courage to sign your red rep, I appreciate it because I know what a rare quality courage and honesty is when it comes to DMOZ editors. :)

gworld, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  4. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry to see ya go...Ya do what ya have to do. :0
    good luck

Test-ok, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  5. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Alucard,

Sorry to see you go as well. You made the Directories forum much more balanced and enjoyable. Best of luck in everything you are on to!

Liminal, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    When you said
    you were attacking each and every one of the editors, not the system, not the structure (and it's perceived flaws) but the integrity of the people.

You may wish to describe us as misguided, for instance, but to write the lot off as dishonest and immoral is inflammatory - and you know it.

I'm not ignorant of my own character. I have no doubt that by the standards of some cultures I am immoral (no headscarf, not a virgin on my wedding night) but by the standards of most in my country I'm a fine, upstanding citizen.

Now, as I keep telling the my newest colleague at work, my name isn't Sara!

sarahk, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    Liminal likes this.
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why does an honest person wants to volunteer for a corrupt organization?
    It is like a guy saying: "I am not a bad person. I just work for mob and kill people for living" ;)

In movies, there is always an ignorant account that unknowingly works for mob but in this case after all the discussions in different forums, you must be well aware of what kind of organization DMOZ is. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  8. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Well from what I gather from looking around this forum is that DMOZ is corrupt because editors are using the power to inflate their own sites, remove their competitors and attempt to tinker with PR, and possibly receive bribes?

That's just going to happen when you give a person control over something without giving them an incentive great enough to be fair and just. Heck, most people only give donations to charities for the tax break.

Whatever, I submitted my site anyway :p

Dekker, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    svc, accusations without facts don't mean a whole lot. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. ;)

compostannie, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  10. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a very stupid analogy. Anyway, even if most of the editors are corrupt (according to you), it just makes me respect the rest who are not corrupt and working hard as volunteers to change their org's reputation that much more.

Liminal, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  11. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'm sure there are good people who are editing DMOZ, just as sure as I am about there being bad people.

Too bad you can't measure human integrity.

Dekker, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  12. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, good luck in whatever you'll be doing, Alucard. And regardless of whether you claim your nickname is inspired by Billy Idol, I still think your character was cool in Castlevania III.

Second of all...
    When I just read that, I thought you were saying your first name was your entire nick "sarahk", and I was thinking to myself - so how's that pronounced - sarok? - Then I realized that you just meant that you have an "h" in your name.

torunforever, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  13. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I was picturing the lady in this http://www.break.com/articles/crazyscreaminglady.html video, screaming and slapping a coworker across the room yelling it's SAROC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dekker, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Add the fact that editors beside being corrupt are also rude and arrogant and you have a good definition of DMOZ and it's editors. ;)

gworld, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  15. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    bla bla bla...

Everything he posted is true.

I used to be neutral about DMOZ, never gave it much importance, until I realized the huge amount of crap that passes by as "honest editors"... 2 of my sites got deleted by an editor that had nothing to do with the category. A few other sites were also deleted. I later spoke to one of those webmasters and guess what? He had a chat with the editor, and after some negociations he was listed again... and not only that, his site also got a star listing!

So now I am a member of the "DMOZ is full of rats" club
    (ok, Sarahk, don't get mad, 99% of the editors are rats, not all of them)

fryman, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  16. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    hence nothing to gain... I'm not sure you've thought this one out properly, have you?

An editor can (and is expected to) edit any subcategory under the cat he/she is assigned to - which explains the editing a category not explicitly assigned to him/her part. They will delete sites which are not considered to be up to scratch, or are returning 404s, or break the guidelines in some way. That several sites got delisted in one pass suggests that's exactly what has happened here.

If there's been a misunderstanding, you can try and email the editor (by the way, another inconsistency in your story is that if the editor wasnt assigned to that category, how on earth do you know who deleted the listings? how did your webmaster friend know who to email?) and explain the mitigating factors 'my server crashed and is now back online' or whatever. Is that what you mean by negociation? Or do you have evidence the negociation involved corruption? because that's cwhat it seems to me you're implying in your post.

Basically, I'm not sure what in your little anecdote (from which you decided that 99% of ALL the editors at dmoz are 'rats') actually involves any wrongdoing whatsoever? Unless 'deleting your website' is a heinous crime that instantly labells us as rats?

Or perhaps you're not actually saying there's anything wrong with what happened here, so you subtract it from 100% rats which gives you... 99%?

bradley, Nov 23, 2005 IP
    Liminal likes this.
  17. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    Test-ok, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I am (obviously by now I guess) not a fan of DMOZ but I have grown to admire and respect Alucard from his posts here at Digital Point and I am sorry to see him go. He contributed some insight and genuine courtesy and integrity which seems to be rare anywhere these days.

My respect for him has nothing to do with whether he was or was not a DMOZ editor. I can understand that this forum probably doesn't have a lot to interest him if he no longer is a part of DMOZ, although if he chose to do so I'm sure he could continue to add his thoughts from time to time - I hope he changes his mind and does just that.

minstrel, Nov 23, 2005 IP
    torunforever likes this.
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to hear you've left, Alucard. That definitely doesn't speak well for the ODP. I truly hope that Google will take away all of the powers from DMOZ, which seems to be what has caused a lot of the corruption and whatever else issues that have overwhelmed the ODP. The fact that you've left has definitely removed all faith at this point. I believe that many other good editors will follow. I doubt that there is any hope of recovery for that directory. I for once am very tired with the discussions related to DMOZ. Too much energy has been wasted. You should now start your own directory ... or help me with mine ;)

Blogmaster, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes:

This thread was about Alucard, not you, Toots. Must you try to turn every thread here into another pathetic promotion for one of your sorry sites?

minstrel, Nov 30, 2005 IP