1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good Way To Check For Real PR Update...

Discussion in 'Google' started by mvandemar, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very informative.

I also liked Link.ezer.com's post when he said one must be ready for the snapshot 2 months before the update.:D

jhnrang, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  2. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently not, I still see new PR threads starting. Especially now that a new BL update has started, people who don't know what their old PR's were will not use tools that show both and think that both are changing.

-Michael

mvandemar, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  3. megdilts

megdilts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very insighful posting. Thanks!

megdilts, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  4. Lordo

Lordo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of the best PR posts I have read. Thank you very much for your way of writing and for sharing that.

Lordo, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  5. obetdos

obetdos Peon

Best Answers:
    well done. thanks for sharing. :)

obetdos, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  6. boron

boron Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It may happen that backlink update has finished today. I'm not saying it's actually finished but all links on all sites (which I know their status) on all datacenters seems to be updated. This link updating started yesterday already.

With this backlink checker on various DCs I've seen about 10 changes for amazingindiaexperience.info site yesterday, today ALL 40 datacenters show backlinks change (I'm not saying this is final). I checked other sites for which I knew backlinck count and they all changed on all datacenters. I have not noticed any PR change on any datacenter and no changes in SERPs.

UPDATE: All backlinks back to zero.

boron, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  7. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    By the way, it looks as if Google added something to their behavior. I have seen a bunch of pages go to PR0 without there being any other sort of update. These are pages that should have gone to zero once the update did occur (which is why I was trying to fix them before that happened :eek:), but having pages lose PR in between updates is new.

The reason I was expecting them to go to zero if the PR update happened before I could rectify the problem is that Google does not give PR to pages that are supplemental when the update happens, which these were.

Could be a fluke, or could be something that they are adding into their routine.

-Michael

mvandemar, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  8. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I've asked this question in a couple of other threads and not got a definitive answer. I'll ask it again here as mvandemar seems to know what he's onabout.

How does a site's PR change BETWEEN updates? I ask this because my own site incresed from a PR4 to a PR5 two weeks ago and has remained that way ever since. It's not just the odd DC showing this, either. It's over 90% of DC's on various PR checking sites.

I'm not complaining, just puzzled. My site has been stuck at a PR4 for around 12 months and when it finally changed, it was between updates. I just don't get it.

I'm no egg spurt when it comes to this stuff so I'd appreciate it if any explanations could be written so an idiot can understand it.

Thanks in advance.

Nemesis7485, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  9. wez

wez Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed a while ago that a site I had was listed in the Google Directory. The PR bar in the directory showed a PR7 months before the site was actually bumped to a PR 7 - however ive noticed other sites show lower PR in the directory than on the toolbar. Not sure how this relates to real PR - or whether or not PR is updated at a diffrerent time in the google directory than in the toolbar, but it throws one more variable into the soup :)

nice post

wez, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  10. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's what I was saying... it's not that it changed between updates. It's that you've only ever hit the DC's that had the old values, and then one day you noticed the PR5 (which you would have gotten in January) and decided to do a multi-dc check. At that point, you see 90% of the DC's showing the PR5, and assume it changed just now that you noticed it, instead of having changed last update.

Let me ask you though... this is the first time since the end of January that you used a multi-DC PR checker, correct? You just saw the PR in the toolbar for the last 6 weeks or so? Also, do really check the toolbar PR that closely, that often? PR4 and PR5 look pretty close on the toolbar when viewed out of the corner of your eye, unless you actually mouse over it.

-Michael

mvandemar, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  11. uzair

uzair Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree.everyone seems too bother about the pagerank.Now,go slap someone if there any thread open about the "PR updating" anymore.:D

uzair, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  12. nONEq

nONEq Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good and informative writing about PageRank. Green rep added.

BTW, I have a new website which was created at the end of Feb. That website will show me the PR update is really occuring. Till now it just got some backlinks, that is all. I will let everyone to know if its PR changes.

nONEq, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  13. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanation, Michael. That makes alot of sense. The only thing different from what you said is that the toolbar wasn't to blame as I don't even have it installed on my browser.

The PR checker I regularly used did only ever show one DC, though. I guess the last time I checked it, it must have taken the results from a different DC for some reason and that's why it showed a PR5 all of a sudden.

Many thanks for the explanation, Michael. Much appreciated :)

Nemesis7485, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  14. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. It's hard to see these things sometimes, unless you are constantly checking various behaviors (not, mind you, that I am saying OCD is the way to go) . The thing is that most people see someone say that they see a change, so they then check for changes, and even though they haven't checked in a while, if what they see if different from what they remember, then they assume that they also are seeing changes that must have just happened, and the stampede is on.

-Michael

mvandemar, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  15. srik79

srik79 Active Member

Best Answers:
    my question :)

lets say google is taking the snapshot on april 5th, i add a few high pr links to my site on april 3rd. lets say G crawled those hight PR sites on april 4th.

will i stand a change of getting the PR benifit from the new links?

i am guessing Yes, because G knows the new links to my site and takes the time between snapshot and export to calculate the new PR to my site and exports it on the export day/s?

srik79, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  16. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You would be correct in that guess. That's what the snapshot is, it is the picture of the web (and all of the links interconnecting it) as viewed by Google from a specific point in time.

I mean, there are some things that aren't known, that I personally have never tested. For instance, pages that are supplemental or not cached don't get PageRank when it is updated. This is known. However, pages can be both supplemental and non-supplemental at the same time (exist in both indices). I personally have a case of that happening right now. So, if the PR were to update right now, I have no clue whether or not those pages would get PR or not. Or, what if a page is cached in some DC's when the snapshot is taken, but not all of them? Who knows.

-Michael

mvandemar, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  17. wacamoi

wacamoi Peon

Best Answers:
    mvandemar,

nice thread

wacamoi, Apr 2, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.