1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good interview with hints about positioning

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by expat, Jun 8, 2004.

Hi,
    found the following article / interview with Nevill-Manning (Froogle)
    I think it contains some good hints and tips......

http://www.clickz.com/experts/search/results/article.php/3363721

excerpts
    ST: How does Froogle decide which part of the description to truncate for the search results?
    CNM: We show the first part of the description, up to two lines. We use the rest of the description for determining relevance, so it's important to include as much as possible.

......(very true is our own experience /M)
    ST: Are Froogle feeds trackable? Can one measure their effectiveness in a Web analytics software program (such as WebTrends, ClickTracks, HitBox, or Urchin), as they already can in Google?

CNM: We encourage merchants to include tracking URLs in their feeds. Also, analysis of referrer fields in Weblogs could provide helpful data.

ST: Is the ranking system based on page/site popularity and the amount of content in the Froogle feed?
    CNM: PageRank is an important input to the ranking function. Sites with high PageRank are more likely to have their products appear in the top results.
    ...... (yes they still seem to use PR although this may change - PR is a Stanford Patent and not owned by G thus under IPO it may well vanish / M)

M

expat, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. A good article with detail info that is very useful for me.

Thanks for the post!

North Carolina SEO, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice- they have a bunch of interesting articles, a lot of 'need to know' information

schlottke, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  4. Legend

Legend Peon

Best Answers:
    I do think it's pretty h4x the way that google uses the position of a link on a page to generate page-rank ... and it seems so random
    *sigh* algorithms ... cant live with 'em .

Legend, Jul 3, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about? What is "h4x"? And what makes you think the the position of a link on page has anything to do with the PR it passes?

compar, Jul 3, 2004 IP
  6. eddie

eddie snowrider

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post Great information just started working on my froogle feeds

eddie, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  7. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Still haven't found out when G decides to pull F result, looks like a unique brand name and a bit of competition helps. Probably non dictonary items with substance in F & G stand a good chance.

"Yamoa" has P1 and is pulled by G - nice it's mine...

M

expat, Sep 23, 2004 IP