1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good FREE directory script?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by simonspurr, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    oooo,, now that does make sense...

I didn't know Jamie had a dir script as well...

oh well,, I still vote phpld :D

Brandon Sheley, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    hyper likes this.
  2. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    an0n, I believe your comments are profoundly untrue - Jamie doesn't bash phpld, he bashes the people, but with justification (usually!:p)

Sounds like you're wearing yourself as a hat again:rolleyes:

Spider-Man, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  3. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You would be amazed at the ideas some users have for having a custom mod.
    Are you saying that your script will "never" offer mods?

dog222, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  4. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nah, he bashing with purposeful intent towards the script itself (maybe the owner too).

I take no sides. I call it how I read and see it. Add a list of people who agree with me, and it will run long, very very long.

an0n, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think Jamie's attitude probably attracts more clients to phpld than David DuVal ever could

discover, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    pipes and hyper like this.
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yep. agreed.

an0n, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    explain please?
    I'm not wearing any hat, altho I will if I go outside because my hair is a mess ATM..lol

Brandon Sheley, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  8. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    No he isn't, if I was I'd come straight out with it no messing. What crap has gone on in the past is of no interest to me, I call it as it is simple as that.

From p.m's to you I've made my views pretty clear, I don't like the way they took advantage of good people like you making mods and answering support and getting little or no reward, that is the ONLY issue I have, and if that's bad of me to think about others and the fact they should be rewarded for their hard work then tough, people will have to deal with it, that's not how I work.

JamieG, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's fine JamieG. We all see it our own way though.

I know what the PM's said, and your concerns are definitely appreciated.
    Thing is, I got jerked over, and am going to have to live and deal with it regardless. Duval's greed and lies he makes about me via Private Messages will be his own downfall. I bet is I asked for a raise of hands of who has received bad wording from Duval with regards to me, that list would be very, very long too.

hahaha

In the end, I vote on script..... (i still think esyndicat is cool)

an0n, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  10. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    If Jamie is, as you say, sending more custom to phpLD, that's fantastic, as they clearly are desperate for the money, whereas Jamie couldn't give a flying fuck about the financial side of it. Ultimate Quick Buck Crew. Agreed? Okay, now we've got that one out the way, maybe we should all do what we're supposed to and judge the script, not the person.

Everyone made such a fuss about the phpLynx script not being open, now that it is open...if you want to make your own mods, go ahead - it's your decision. If kindhearted people don't do it for us, we'll do it ourselves (even though we will be releasing some free mods in future for various things anyway).

Now, all of you can stop throwing the dummy out of the pram and base your opinions on the scripts themselves. At the end of the day, I've said it before and I'll say it again - opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

---Edit---

We never have and never will say phpLynx has 'everything' - but it does have a damn lot of features built in, more so than rival scripts under the $100 belt.

11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My input as a user resulted in 2 different mods being created by two different guys in the past, both released to others who needed/wanted the mod.

You would be suprised at how much difference it makes when a script has plenty of people able to code for it and partly what makes it grow is the feedback but also the ability to not have it all lumped together.

Users of a script like the freedom to get in contact with an independant coder and get a mod developed either for themselves only or as an available release to a community.

pipes, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  12. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm flabbergasted. Best post you've made in a long time.

13. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    Mods this mods that, what you are all failing to mention is that not everyone can make mods or even change smarty coding to make a template work.

Mods are generally made from a person who requires something more from his directory script and with teh guys at phplynx opening the source they have given those few who can actually do it the chance. No doubt in the near future the mod sites will start charging for them, making there own money from a script which took years to create with a lot of unpaid time an effort by most involved.

i have heard the phpld arguments far too many times, and have never posted in regard to phpld been better, worse, the same or whatever I don't really care, I get red for simply mentioning the phplynx and have done throughout my membership of this forum.

Now if we all made mods and released them free of charge I am sure they would automatically get included into the script (with creators permission) which in my mind would make the script better then it already is. phpld does not have this philosophy, ask anon I believe he could explain his experiences with the owner of the the phpld script better then anyone. (reference from previous post about this subject)

Mods are there to improve the scripts simple as, stop the winging, if you don't want to improve the script move on to another thread where everyone will agree with you and you can spread your loving to get that all important reputation level.

However if you are interested like I am in the phplynx script and in making it better, then get it bought and start making some mods which the guys at phplynx have not thought about yet. I know I am and have 4 in progress at the moment.

Gripe over.
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You really choke me up sometimes :D and i haven't got a clue what you mean.

pipes, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  15. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Flabbergasted = Astounded. Never expected you to make such a post. Nice one.

16. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    This is pathetic, its like some kind of turf war! :eek:

At time of posting. Is phpLynx going OS that much of a worry?

JamieG, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    aubenrey,

did you think I knew any of the following prior to directories:

1. PHP
    2. Smarty Templating
    3. MySQL backend
    4. phpld

short answer: Nope.

What I had was a passion to learn to better things. So, just because you don't know it, doesn't mean you can't learn it.

with regards to:
    My MODs and ideas were (keyword here) Stolen. Period.
    No compensation, No hint. Just outright ripped off and stolen. Lets move on though.

As far as MODs being free, when you release MODs for free, then everything becomes cumbersome and 'the same', looking like nothing more than a duplicate directory and I don't think the SE's like that. Free scripts with free mods = trouble in the making. In my honest opinion, MODs are what separate the serious, from the suckers.

For the reasoning given above, that's why I have MODs that only select clientel know about. DP hasn't even seen a 10th of the directories I have MOD'ed or know of the amount of MODs I do have. :)

an0n, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, I'm just taking a well deserved break after writing this coupon mod.
    Working with phpld is NOT fun anymore because the code is so outdated and non-scalable, so I have to force it to work. *ugh*

an0n, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  19. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    I've read all this and so much of it seems irrelevant to the original intent of the thread.

So can someone that is unbiased please summarize, what is the best FREE directory script, out of the box, for someone that never intends to ever spend a penny on the script for a paid version?

time is money, and many of us have too much to do as it is, so what free script can do the job without taking alot of time to set up or mod, and which will never cost us a dime? there must be one that stands out in their capabilities for absolutely free?

canam, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, its phpLD.

pipes, Jul 2, 2008 IP