1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good FREE directory script?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by simonspurr, Jun 28, 2008.

I've been wanting to make a directory for a while now but I haven't been able to find a good free script.

Do u know of any?

simonspurr, Jun 28, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  2. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can of worms buddy, what type of directory, what features do you want, any other info and i am sure you will get some help.

DownUnder, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  3. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    something similar to phpld

4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  5. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpld 2.1 or esyndicat 1.6(not many themes available)

gsv13, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  6. kohinoor

kohinoor Peon

Best Answers:
    Esyndicate is best.

kohinoor, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    phpLD free version.

pipes, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  8. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not going to even mention the script in my sig, unlike the rest above who seem desperate to shove a certain script down your throats without telling you of the hidden problems and inevitable costs there are with them I'll simply say, don't go for what is rammed down you throats, it smacks of desperation.

I've put a bet on with a few people where this thread is going to lead, lets see if I'm right. Please share the url with us later when you do decide, and good luck.

JamieG, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  9. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, i'll look at all of em
    (even the 1 in ur sig :))

10. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    lol. I still have a bet on where the thread is going but make a point of never pushing our script simply because there's no need to. People who want to save a lot of money and problems you'll find the right one eventually.

Good luck regardless.

JamieG, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  11. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    PHPLD has a lot of templates available and is arguably the most widely used (do not have the source info for this, just basing on instinct). Installation is fast and easy. Just need to chmod a few files and follow the wizard. Coupled with the number of free SQL Dumps for categories, you can start your directory in minutes.

My bet will be that PHPLD will be the OP choice. Disclaimer : I am in no way related to PHPLD, just find that it is a fantastic script.

wisdomtool, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  12. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    beware someone here misunderstand you,
    you will be right to use the most popular and most people have chosen script - phpld. :rolleyes:

WallaceYeung, Jun 28, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  13. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Indexscript

That's one fine free directory script there.

proxywhereabouts, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  14. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Why do people like you feel the need to mislead people looking for a directory script? You come onto a thread claiming that because phpld WAS popular, (it isn't that poplar now) but you invariably fail to mention that the script from recent postings here clearly lacks support, lacks features, and has has many inherent problems, one of them being free versions have hardly any features, (not everyone is a coder) and installation of mods that are available usually come at a cost. phpld has also become so abundantly abused because of its popularity that legitimate users have been penalized as being part of a bad neighbourhood.

Whether there's truth to that is up to the individual to decide, what I do know is people like you constantly come onto these threads claiming that other scripts including phplynx are shoved down people's throats, I remember you claiming it with me, but in reality its phpld which is constantly to blame for over-promoting itself as something it clearly isn't.

So let's get this out once and for all WallaceYoung, I state FACTS and never promote the script in my sig for the sake of it. If its suitable for a user I will let them be the judge not me.

If people like you came onto threads like this and said 'Try phpld free version' but be warned that you'll have to add a lot of mods to make it reach the level of many other free scripts out there and it might cost you a lot of money, and the script has been so widely abused that sadly you are likely to get tarred with the same brush then you would not be misleading.

Popular in this case does not mean the best by a long shot. Let's start being truthful with people for a change.

JamieG, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  15. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    well so far I have chosen not to use eSyndicat due to installation problems

And what exactly do u mean when u say u have a bet on where it is going? Like a big debate or something? Or that my pick will be PhpLD?

16. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not going to say, that would spoil the bet. Why would you say phpld? :confused:

JamieG, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  17. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about the remarks, just pick the one you are most comfortable with, installing, maintaining etc. Each of us recommend what we like best. But then one's man meat is another's poison, the most important would be your own preferences.

wisdomtool, Jun 28, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  18. nekowai

nekowai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'am developing a directory script for links, articles, images and discussion topics (demo: http://www.gnifi.com) i think i will release it gpl. If anyone is interested just standby until its released.

nekowai, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, well done. All my concern ever is, is that the OP (If he is a genuine poster as I honestly believe half of these posts are set up as link bait), gets to have an HONEST view.

You can't deny that people shove phpld down people's throats here wisdomtool, no matter what they say, and it is in reality one of the weakest out of the box free scripts around.

I'm not prepared to see people get duped into thinking the most popular is the best only to see them get unwittingly reeled in like a fish to the bigger fish waiting to ply thier trade of installing mods etc that are inevitably needed with phpld free version.

I'm not interested in money which is why I can be so honest about things, if I was then perhaps I'd be as desperate as some other script owners who clearly are.

JamieG, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  20. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    I just said that in regard to one of the remarks/posts earlier.

They said "I bet he will use phpld"

And I am a genuine user btw

And I will choose the one I feel most comfortable with - I am setting up each script on a domain each and testing them to see which is best. I'm thinking of making a niche directory