1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good alternative to Google Reader

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Devtard, Mar 13, 2013.

Devtard, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  2. Fisker

Fisker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are few alternatives like feedly or some desktop based apps.

You can read more about them at lifehacker - http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google-reader-is-getting-shut-down-here-are-the-best-alternatives

I wonder what happens with feedburner now ? Reckon it will close too ?

Fisker, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I used Google Reader a lot, so I was disappointed about that. On my tablet, Flipboard is fine, but for my laptop and smartphone I definitely need something else.

A lot of other services seem to depend upon Google Reader. Feedly apparently is going to migrate over, so this looks like a good option. or NewsBlur.

Feedburner has continuously been subject of rumours to close over the years. For now, it's here to stay, I reckon, though. It will be around for a while after Google Reader.

ryan_uk, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  4. gzed

gzed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Feedburner will be the next to close. They retired Adsense for feeds in 2012, and the history of Google shows that if they can't monetize something, they'll end up killing it off.

gzed, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  5. zaddy

zaddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the main reason Google killed Reader was because of Google+. Here's the source:
    http://www.quora.com/Google-Reader-Shut-Down-March-2013/Why-is-Google-killing-Google-Reader

That said, in my view the best reader replacement has been out for a long time, it's called Pulse.

zaddy, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That isn't strictly true. They don't monetise Google+, but there are no plans to kill it off. :p

But yeah, Feedburner is showing its age in terms of interface and documentation is old, so it has always looked likely. It looks more like Google has forgotten about Feedburner. :D Once someone remembers it, they will close it (in a year or so).

There is also what Google can get out of things in terms of data (it can't be cheap to provide free analytics, albeit there are paid products too). Who knows if what Feedburner gives them is valuable or not.

ryan_uk, Mar 15, 2013 IP