1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Goo Tube - Google buys Youtube for $1.6 billion

Discussion in 'Google' started by mad4, Oct 6, 2006.

1. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree about MySpace being an instant turn-off and visual junk. Some of my 'friends' seem to really like me :rolleyes:, but I've just been ignoring the whole, nasty place.

gemini181, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  2. Marx

Marx Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds crazy to me like the old dot.com bubble, huge over inflated valuations, sellers seem to battle selling sites for 12x their revenue in these forums so 1.6 Billion must be about 1200000X uTube's current revenue :cool:

Marx, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Last time I heard YT was loosing money like the US government's deficit. Bandwidth bills were rising skyhigh. So the valuation multiple was actually a negative one. :)

T0PS3O, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe 12 times the potential revenue. Imagine how much youtube would make if the bandwidth costs disappeared (which they would with Googles server resources).

Also if all the revenue from the ads went to google without giving some to youtube they would double the revenue straight away.

mad4, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Google also owns a lot of fibre so they don't have to lease bandwidth.

And with owning Blogger they probably have smoe advanced anti-comment spam algos available - that's been YT's biggest problem (after bandwidth).

They'd have a massive market share - the smaller Video sites won't be very happy me thinks, if they pull this off indeed. But it's still a big nightmare they'd be buying so I'm not sure they'll actually buy it.

T0PS3O, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  6. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Just a few weeks ago YouTube's copyright woes were practicaly eliminated.

Warner Music gave them license to braodcast any of their music and videos. The liscense is extended to YouTube users who wish to use the copyrighted works to create their own movies, sampling music or vid clips from Warners stuff. Warner is uploading its entire cataloge of videos. For this Warner takes a small cut in YouTubes revenues.

Universal was threatening to sue for a long time now but changed their tune and are following Warners lead.

Days after the Warner deal, Cingular cell anounced its spoonsorship of the YouTube battle of the bands. A competition where amature musicians submit their music videos and YouTuber's vote. Winners get record deals 'n stuff.

Other big advertisers are beginning to line up at YouTubes door to get their ads in front of those millions of viewers. YouTube traffic is gold compared to MySpace. Who wants to market to 14 year olds when you can reach 20 to 35 year olds?

This came in the nick of time for YouTube. They've burned through 11 million in VC capital with very little revenue coming in. All the big advertisers were affraid to get pulled into the dark cloud of lawsuits that were hovering over YouTube.

Now is a perfect time for Google to buy. And why do they want it when they already have Google Video? Because if they dont someone else will. YouTube is funded by venture capital money, so their intention all along has been to sell and, now that the lawsuit issues appear to be at bay, their valuation has skyrocketed. Now is the time to sell.

YouTube has 50% of the entire US video website market. It is simply "THE" brand. Google video on its own could never attain that. Good luck Murdoch.

Why wouldn't Google want it?

axemedia, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  7. natekapi

natekapi Peon

Best Answers:
    The same VC's who invested in Google are behind YouTube's financing so you would think that would help the deal too, if they have a good relationship still.

natekapi, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  8. MythIP

MythIP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be a smart move. Some day we may even have the answer to who owns the internet? Google. :)

MythIP, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  9. wiggly123

wiggly123 Peon

Best Answers:
    wiggly123, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  10. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    CedarCity, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  11. natekapi

natekapi Peon

Best Answers:
    Mark Cuban should stick to sports.

PS: What billionaire can't get into Bungalow 8? Mark Cuban!!

natekapi, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  12. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    It's just a rumor.

ArcticPro, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  13. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Geocities was the leader of its time though. They didn't even try to keep up though. It seems like even 10 years later, they've refused to adapt.

PayItForward, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  14. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont care for youtube...too much garbage on there.. i can never find anything good

superrichguy, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  15. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    You have no ninja skillz.

I look forward to killing you soon. :)

axemedia, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  16. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    ^^ not funny

Anyway, looks like the deal will go through and google will go up and add another 10 billion of market cap

So easy to make moeny with google stock. I've been a shareholdfer for over a year and have made a small fortune.

Trying to free up more funds to buy more google stock since it will got to $3000 a share soon.

I figure that before google decides to reprocess 95% of humanity deemed 'unfit for type 1 civilization' into little more than cat chow or matrix batteries, I should make some easy money and stock up on some firearms cause im not going to let them turn me into cat chow or a battery.

IamNed, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  17. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    The deal will more than likely go thru. After doing some searches and reading a few articles I’m starting to think this is a very good thing for Google and for Youtube. I think that YouTube doesn’t have any option in the matter, it must sell or die.

If anyone is interested on my blog I’ve listed the positive and negative aspects that I found.

Emperor, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  18. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it's interesting , they have google video???

trichnosis, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  19. UnderEstimated

UnderEstimated Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    UnderEstimated, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  20. BGray

BGray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! If this goes through it will be an amazing deal for the YouTube guys.

BGray, Oct 9, 2006 IP