1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

golf course database

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by dpakman91, Jul 4, 2005.

www.golfcourse.com and www.golflink.com obviously are using a database of all the courses in the country, it's unlikely they actually made each page one by one...

where might one find that database?

(not sure if this is the BEST place for this, but i couldn't decide where else it would go)

dpakman91, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  2. exaro

exaro Peon

Best Answers:
    Um I dunno because they use cfm; I'm not sure how that works. But I know exactly how to do it in .php/mySQL...

They have a DB for the site, and a table for the courses (let's call it courses). With rows such as Name, City, Country, Phone # etc....

Create a page such as courses.php...

Inside courses.php your going to need something like...

<?php
    include 'yourdbconnectpage.php';  
    DBconnect();

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM courses WHERE name = '$name'");
    $row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
    echo "$row[name]";

?>
    PHP:
    And if you want to get a different course from your db all you need to do is change the URL (e.g. courses.php?name=OldCourse, and Old Course info will show up.

That's just an example and it involves a little more...If you understand that, and want to know more, message me and I'll give you a little lesson.

And if that doesn't help at all, sorry for wasting your time, thought I might throw that out there

exaro, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  3. mediaguru

mediaguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm... You've sparked my interest here.

mediaguru, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing they in some way knew a vendor in the industry who had a large database. I did a similar app in another industry in PHP. Some people have done things like mine the Yahoo yellow pages for a particular topic (say pet stores) and then create a site that displays listings by region and state. This is a great way to make a made for adsense site. I did a few of these (not made only for adsense ;)), but I'll tell you that it is not as easy as it used to be to use this strategy.

dvduval, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  5. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    You can purchase marketing mailing lists, they cost a bit, but have great value to them...

ServerUnion, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  6. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well last year i created this site for a client http://golfcoursescout.com/

It contains a database of all the golfcourses in the country. It wasn't bought but actually it was created. He hired some freelancers out of india to compile the databases from various web sources.

Hope that helps you out a little.

thanks,

juls

Juls, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  7. someonewhois

someonewhois Peon

Best Answers:
    You should use $_GET['name'], not $name. If register globals is off, $name won't work. Register globals was disabled by default in PHP 4.2.2.

Also, I think the question is more of where to find the database of courses. I don't think he needs to know how to query a database. :)

someonewhois, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  8. excellence In Databases

excellence In Databases Guest

Best Answers:
    I sell a golf course database. It only includes the U.K and europe.

excellence In Databases, Apr 27, 2007 IP
  9. LisaRay

LisaRay Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Add My Golf Websites in Your Database

For UK

1. URL - http://www.thesportshq.com/
    Title – Golf Clubs
    Description - The Sports HQ supplies factory direct golf equipment including golf clubs and sets with bag from £49.99.

2. URL - http://www.forgan.co.uk/
    Title – Custom Golf Clubs
    Description - Custom Fit Golf Clubs from Forgan of St. Andrew's (est. 1860) - Woods, Drivers, Irons, Putters, Wedges, Hybrids. New 2008 range of custom fit golf clubs now on sale, quality assured.

3. URL - http://www.golfballs.co.uk/
    Title – Personalised Golf Balls
    Description - Golfballs.co.uk supplies a large range of new + lake golf balls, in addition to personalised golf balls, bags, towels, caps and ladies golf balls at affordable cost.

For USA

1. URL - http://www.golfoutletsusa.com/
    Title – Golf Clubs
    Description - Golf Outlets of America supply Golf Clubs, Golf Outlets, Golf Sets, Pull Carts, Golf Bags, Golf Balls, Golf Shoes, and Discount Golf from our retail outlets in Palm Springs.

2. URL - http://www.forgangolf.com/
    Title – Custom Fit Golf Clubs
    Description - Forgan supply Golf Clubs, Golf Sets, Golf Trolleys, Irons, Golf Bags, Golf Balls, Golf Shoes, and Discount Golf at low factory direct prices.

3. URL - http://www.golfandsports.com/
    Title – Golf Sets
    Description - The Golf HQ supply Golf Clubs, Golf Sets, Golf Trolleys, Irons, Golf Bags, Golf Balls, Golf Shoes, and Discount Golf at low factory direct prices.

Thanks in Advance

LisaRay, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  10. nugget106

nugget106 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have personally worked on linksgolf[dot]co[dot]uk - all the data was manually collected and input into the system. The amount of time is unmeasure because it was built back in the early of days of the internet. We have developed a number of techniques to keep the database as fresh as possible and it is still vetted by humans today. The number of clubs is around the 24,000 mark.

nugget106, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  11. David Potts

David Potts Peon

Best Answers:
    Its nice information for me, actually I was looking for this subject.
    Thanks guyz to share useful information.

David Potts, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  12. elladrone

elladrone Peon

Best Answers:
    imacros the website (not saying it is nice, just saying that it can be done)

elladrone, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  13. GolfButler

GolfButler Peon

Best Answers:
    I also sell such a database. Visit www(.)golf-course-database(.)com or send me a message if you are interested.

Phil

GolfButler, Jul 11, 2012 IP