1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Going rate for advertising

Discussion in 'General Business' started by DarrenC, May 31, 2005.

I have recently launched a new website (travel-rants) currently PR0, around 80 pages in Google, and around 100 uniques per week, from the likes of MSN, and a few other travel related sites - and appears in the sandbox in Google.

Already I have had 2 people looking to advertise on the new website and wondered what the going rate was for banner and text advertising on the sidebar, and footer of the website / forum.

I know it' s like asking how long is a peice of string.. but some ideas would be useful.

Darren :)

DarrenC, May 31, 2005 IP
  2. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say: 5$-10$ for site-wide text link / mth

frankm, May 31, 2005 IP
  3. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Darren, a good way to figure it out would be to run Adsense on there for a week or two, in the spaces you want to sell. See what you make from Adsense, then see if these guys would be willing to pay you something more on a monthly basis.

chachi, May 31, 2005 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers Frank

Chachi, good thought. Do people buy text link for traffic or SEO though?

anyone else have any thoughts?

(What if the page was PR5 - I know yet another 'what if question')

DarrenC, May 31, 2005 IP
  5. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcom wwhhomes.
    If it would be PR5 (which is excellent for a travel site) you should have some real traffic, so put on the AS box as chaci suggested, that should give you some indication of what a spot on your site is worth to others.

frankm, May 31, 2005 IP
  6. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think a PR5 would add much more if their intent was advertising- price is going to depend on unique visitors. If you are talking about selling links for PR purposes, then I guess it would depend on how many outgoing links on the page.

mjewel, May 31, 2005 IP
  7. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Run of site banner advertising is a bust. Because of this, CPMs are usually in the 50 cent to $1 range for most sites....unless you have something really good and a lot of it.

The people that have propositioned me about links are doing it for SEO purposes. I don't know anyone looking for text links that is looking for branding type advertising over SEO. You know you can run image ads for Adsense, text link type ads, or link ads. The Adsense ads are not like selling a text link in the traditional sense though. Just want to make sure you understand that. :)

chachi, May 31, 2005 IP
  8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Reason why I ask is that I have an internal page (a travel community page) that is PR5 on the Worldwide Holiday Homes website. #5 for travel community in Google out of 80.5 million results - receives good traffic, but unfortunately, not much room for adsense, but will give it a try!

DarrenC, May 31, 2005 IP
  9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm to be honest I don't like the idea of selling links for PR. I'd much prefer to provide advertising to help raise a travel companies profile, or help them with building up their traffic.

The only reason why I'm going down the line of selling advertising on this new website is because I want to raise income for my primary business to enable me to raise that websites profile.

Thanks for all your input so far.. interesting reading.

DarrenC, May 31, 2005 IP
  10. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    @wwhomes: if your intentions are not PR-related, just propose $20 / mnth for a text link with some description. If they take it -> next time ask $30 :) if they don't, lower your price and see what's fair.

frankm, May 31, 2005 IP
  11. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Adsense has button ads as small as 125x125. I can imagine banners being any smaller than that. I have several PR5 sites that get 500 to 1000 unique visitors a day and at 50 cent to $1, that's $20 to $40 a month for a banner. I wouldn't even consider doing it because adsense can do that in a day or two.

mjewel, May 31, 2005 IP
  12. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok will do..

Thanks for your help

Darren :)

DarrenC, May 31, 2005 IP