1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Going from shared server to dedicated. What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Herpsy, Mar 22, 2013.

For years I always used shared hosting but one of my projects is outgrowing shared hosting. Bandwidth exceeds 100 gigs a month (just a forum) but users are experiencing a 500 error because of the limit on processes.

What do I need to know going dedicated? is there anything i need to update or install? For reference my host is hostgator. Going to get their smallest dedicated server to see where it goes but not sure on security or other measures I need to take

Thanks!

Herpsy, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  2. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's the managed dedicated server that you are choosing,you wouldn't really worry about the security. Though you might want to add a comment during the sign-up process mentioning about your concerns. That should help the administrators who sets up your server serve as pointers to tighten the security. ;)
    You may even raise a ticket with them and list your concerns there.

Markwebuk, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  3. Herpsy

Herpsy Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the response. Turns out I can avoid the dedicated server box for awhile yet. I called hostgator (was always using chat) support last night in regards to the errors I was getting and they said my shared server plan should be able to easily handle the traffic I get and that there is no need for a dedicated box at this time (yay for honesty) they looked into the issue and could not pinpoint the cause. They gave me steps to do if the issue comes back and call them if it happens again

but thanks for the response!!

Herpsy, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  4. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To start with dedicated server you should know commandline, plus some info on ports, firewall, apache, mysql etc. You can start here: www.mysql-apache-php.com

olddocks, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  5. LarueOutlaw

LarueOutlaw Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it mandatory to about the above ?If yes then its better to call an expert I have no idea about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
    LarueOutlaw, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  6. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you like, itsa good start to know about these or perhaps its even more easier if you have cpanel or directadmin. if you want experts go for platinum server management to manage servers.

olddocks, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  7. TheMostCreative

TheMostCreative Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A shared hosting should handle even more thank 100gigs of bandwidth it might be the server your placed on has a high load of accounts, in worst cases i mean like if you can no longer handle it a vps with 1 - 2gb ram would be enough, its not like im promoting my company but if you want our server is kinda empty we can offer you a good package and beat hostgator price.

TheMostCreative, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  8. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I manage a dedicated server for our company. Before I started, I had ziltch experience and Linux command line scared me! I got better as time went on, but I found that support was always very limited as it becomes your responsibility for anything that goes wrong unless it is a problem their end which was very rare.

If its just for a personal website hosting your own email account, it shouldn't be too bad. You'll be limited to your website and an email account or a couple of email accounts.

When you're hosting many websites and hundreds of email accounts, Linux command line becomes a head ache.

Generally, when you get your dedicated server, you'll run an OS like CENTOS running on cPanel or Plesk which I use. Within that you should also be able to add on things such as MySQL. I think the important thing would be for you to run an interface such as cPanel or Plesk (cPanel is better but costs more) this would give you an interface that you'll be used to with many other hosts where you can add domains/packages/clients add databases, manage databases, email accounts etc.

I've found myself on here a few times asking for help, so you know you've always got help at hand.

scottlpool2003, Mar 31, 2013 IP