1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

godaddy protected registration - does it worth the $$?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Lorelei, Jan 22, 2010.

Hi,

I saw that I can add protected registration at go daddy for about 15$. I read in other forums about it, some say it's worth paying for having your mind put at rest, others say it's just another way of godaddy trying to upsell their clients... what do you think?

Does it worth getting, if a domain brings decent revenue? What are your experiences with it?

Thanks!

Lorelei, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  2. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    thats a rip off :D u can get that free in name.com , namecheap.com , internet.bs. why do u want waste your money in godaddy.
    why do u think it brings revenue :confused:

some time it can do -ve effect as user may think fishy when they saw your business site having a dumb domains by proxy address :rolleyes:

chandan123, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  3. bryanon

bryanon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    chandan123 is correct saying that the $15 is a major ripoff as you can get the same service from other registrants for free.

But as an answer to your question - it depends. You have to make up your mind whether you want people to find out that the domain belongs to you (and get your home address and phone number along with those details) or not. I personally like my privacy and therefore always protect my information in Whois databases. All in all - up to you.

bryanon, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  4. Lorelei

Lorelei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks fr your replies, guys!

So basically, it's better to transfer my domain, say, to namecheap? Whois guard is cheap so i can buy it anyway, what I was wondering about is the "security" because basically godaddy is saying that if you don't want your domain to be stolen from you -- buy the protection, otherwise we are not responsible. at least this is how it sounds.

Lorelei, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  5. bryanon

bryanon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I would transfer everything out of GoDaddy very fast - the ripoff prices of additional services being only one of several reasons.

And the security stuff is complete rubbish. If you keep your password safe and don't let yourself be victimized through phishing scams then you're safe everywhere.

bryanon, Jan 23, 2010 IP
    Lorelei likes this.
  6. -webmaster

-webmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really, even this privacy thing is overpriced at Godaddy. There are registrars that offer it free or really cheap. Goddady charges like crazy. It's just my humble opinion.

-webmaster, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  7. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why give money for a service that is offered free at other domain registrars :p (ex www.orderdn.com offers free privacy protection)

dlatua, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  8. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    try name.com, the whois protection service is completely free for $8.99 a year with domain name.

WallaceYeung, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  9. webinvestor77

webinvestor77 Peon

Best Answers:
    No!
    And if you still need it -lot of registrars providing same services free...

webinvestor77, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  10. socialrespect

socialrespect Peon

Best Answers:
    We have lots of experience adding and dealing with protected registration services. Unfortunately, it's a real pain to remove for domains that you no longer want. Say you have an unwanted domain that you want to cancel. With Go Daddy, if you have protected registration, you won't be able to cancel the domain and stop them from charging you for domain registration!

And good luck trying to remove this yourself. No way, not before you call them numerous times, and go back and forth between GoDaddy.com domain management and DomainsByProxy.com account management. Even their customer support on the phone will have you doing things with your account online. We were even required to fax in a copy of a drivers license to Domains By Proxy. We never shared a drivers license with them before, making this request even more ridiculous.

Here's an article detailing this experience:

What Sucks about GoDaddy - Protected Registration

Our bad experience with Go Daddy Protected Registration

Stay Away From GoDaddy.com Protected Registration and Privacy Services. We hope you never make the mistake of buying protected registration for your domain name via Go Daddy. The problems start if you ever want to cancel your domain name registration. Our first problem is that you cannot cancel registration, at least not without spending hours going back and forth with their tech support and Domains By Proxy.com affiliate.

We had some domains with protected registration just sitting there costing us money because of the hassle of cancelling. But recently, we decided enough is enough. So, when we received an email receipt for an Auto Renewal by Go Daddy, we went ahead and emailed them requesting a cancellation and a refund for this charge.

The first response from Go Daddy was we would have to remove privacy from DomainsByProxy.com. So we fished for login information to our Domains By Proxy account so that we could turn off their privacy service. When we tried to do this, Domains By Proxy told us we have to fill out a security form. We filled out the form, and even had to submit a copy of my drivers license. WTF I thought-I never gave this information to them in the first place. In any case, after i filled out this form, the privacy was still there.

When i tried to remove it again, Domains By Proxy sent me a message saying I would have to fill out a form for GoDaddy to remove protected registration. Now we were beginning to feel like a ping pong ball going back and forth between two companies that love receiving money, but want you to sweat before they give it back. Did I mention this is for a $26 charge, or refund?

We also logged into our GoDaddy account and attempted to cancel these services, but nothing seemed to update. At this point, I called GoDaddy-which is something I hate to do because you'll be on the phone for a long time while they try to up-sell or cross-sell you on more products and services you don't really need.

Anyway, the customer support rep took my request and told me I'd have to do the same steps I already did. She went through the whole process again over the phone with me-more frustration. She said these convoluted levels of security were for my protection-to secure my domain names from theft. Uhhhh? Didn't you verify my identity on the phone? So, why would GoDaddy train or allow their service technicians to help customers over the phone?

No, apparently GoDaddy doesn't want to make life that easy for paying customers. I was instructed, to write another email to another department at GoDaddy (ProtectedReg@godaddy.com) requesting for protected registration to be removed from my domain name. Then, I was told I would have to log back in to Domains By Proxy and remove the privacy product. Finally, I would have to call GoDaddy again and ask them to cancel the auto renew and refund me for this recent order which I didn't want.

So far, I've spent one hour on this tinkering with GoDaddy and Domains By Proxy account settings that won't budge, sent 3 emails to GoDaddy support, and made a phone call to GoDaddy support.

If you're still reading, and you haven't vomited your last meal, you can learn a lot about inefficient, counter-intuitive, and user unfriendly business processes at big companies like GoDaddy. Stay tuned for more updates soon.

socialrespect, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  11. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you seen when this thread is posted?

dlatua, Dec 4, 2011 IP
    samdar likes this.
  12. boost317

boost317 Peon

Best Answers:
    Bringing this back form the dead, I came across this in a search this morning while looking to register a domain. Although I agree that Godaddy is overpriced, I'm going to go on their side with this one. I'll explain: Independent of the fact that I have a bunch of URL's with them already, I went on to register a domain name without being logged in (in other words, as a new member). I want to register a .com, which is $12.99/year. But, they're also offering the same URL with the .net, .org, and .info for a bundle price of $17/year. Looking on domain.gs, the same url is $9.95/year for the .com, $14.95 for the .net, $14.95 for the .org, and I don't currently see a .info option.

Above all, I found a coupon code online for 80% off .com domains and $1.99 ICANN private domain, so my total for 2 years of the .com domain, with 2 years of private service, and 1 year of the bundled package turned out to be $31.71. Now, that's a steal IMO. Godaddy is better than we think. Yea, it was far more up front, but I saved ~$54 on this deal. Normally, I would've been screwed. But doing a bit of research prior to registration ended up making my morning.

Cheers!

boost317, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  13. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like most others, I don't like all the salesy stuff at godaddy, but if you use coupons like I do, you can save a lot of money. For example, you can find godaddy coupons that offer free whois privacy for the first year, including a domain for under $8. After the first year, you can always transfer the domain out if you are not happy.

Furthermore, if you are registering a domain for the purpose of flipping, I don't really care about whois protection because you're going to sell it soon anyways.

steveb, Nov 25, 2013 IP