Godaddy Domain Transfer

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by dcanfield, Apr 17, 2005.

I have a domain name with Godaddy that I am going to sell. How do I transfer the domain name into the buyers name?

dcanfield, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
  3. dcanfield

dcanfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know how I missed. Thank You

dcanfield, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  4. bnaze13

bnaze13 Peon

Best Answers:
    i love godaddy... so much better than everything else out there

bnaze13, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  5. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    GD accused me of being a spammer. What I fought, they seem to fine based on complaints of spam, not actual spam. So, as long as the complaint was in standing(meaning if I had no proof of my inocence, I was therefore guilty), I had to pay an administration fee, or forfeit my domains. If I paid(about $200/domain complaint), it was implied the process could be started over with another complaint about the same alleged-spam item.

I had proof I wasn't spammer and the complaint was false, so they went away, and just stopped sending emails. No applogies, no clarification, nothing. In hindsight, I don't recall them saying fine, just administration fee, wonder if that's a legality issue. :confused:

Now this is rumor, I've heard/read how some people have 'joked' about using GD's policies, and making false complaints against competitors, or false NG spam posts using competitor domains. No willing to wait to find out if this is true, I've been moving my domains to another icann certified registrar, www.1and1.com. Besides, they are cheaper, and have answered all my emails. :cool:

tom

TommyD, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Im always a little suspicious of these kinds of posts. We either aren't getting the whole story or its just another one of these Go Daddy drive by's.

I use them for a few of my sites and I have no complaints. Cheap and easy. If I need a ton of support, I host elsewhere. The prices usually reflect the level of support.

yfs1, Apr 19, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to admit, other than that single incident with GD, which only lasted a few hours, I loved GD as a registrar, and I recommended them to eveyone. I still have 3 accounts with GD, and 10's of domains with them, and only moving them as each one expires. Just see a point in moving them, but not panicing and moving them all at once. But I'm determined to not be one of their customers with time.

tom

TommyD, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  8. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    I have been using GD for several years and I can honestly say I have never had a problem with them. Great fast service, nameserver changes are very fast, everything is pretty quick really.

palespyder, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  9. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:

I'll second that....

In my opinion, they ARE the best!

clasione, Apr 19, 2005 IP
    Epica likes this.
  10. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    GD has the best commercials!

larysmith711, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  11. niceguy

niceguy Banned

Best Answers:
    I have a bunch of domains with GD and they always work fine for me.
    However I have taken a close look at there webhosting and It gets the Thumbs down. :rolleyes:

It offers very little in the way of features .. In fact if you look around you can even find free webhosting that is far better.

Let do the math GD domains yes GD hosting No :rolleyes:

niceguy, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  12. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Shoemoney, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  13. dcanfield

dcanfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I definitely agree that GD has the best commercials. I'm not sure what they say but I can describe the girl to you! :D

dcanfield, May 16, 2005 IP
  14. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I think I should but in here aswell, too many times i complain about different hosts and services. This time I want congratulate Go daddy for their service, keep it up!

l234244, May 17, 2005 IP
  15. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    TommyD, something doesn't sound right with your GD issue. I don't see where they have the legal authority to force you to forfeit your domains based upon a spamming complaint. I can see them dropping your hosting, but not confiscating your domains.

I like GD and hate spammers, but I'm wondering if you were actually communicating with GD or were almost caught up in some type of scam.

TechEvangelist, May 17, 2005 IP
  16. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Point. I too thought it was a scam, since they took the "guilty unless proven innocient" approach, but they requested me to sign into my account and make sure the credit card onfile was up todate. Oh funny thing, they couldn't 'fine me' without me giving authorization, I say this cause they requested permission for the hundreds of dollars.

Oh well. It's in the past, and I just share my story to help others not get slammed, since simple link exchange emails can cause you to loose your domain too, or pay the fee. Although it's in the past and I'm not guilty spammer, the lack of professionalism (it seemed like they just wanted the money asap, and when I provided proof, I got no further responses from them about the issue) has caused me to go to a cheaper domain register.

FYI, if I recall the orginal letter, even if the spam was created by a third party(like a service company, advertiser, etc), you were still guilty.

But then this all is for another thread, and I'll stop hijacking this one. ;)

tom

TommyD, May 17, 2005 IP
  17. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You certainly get enough of them.

I use both godaddy and dotster. Dotster I just type in the domain, click pay and I am done. All the contact information and name servers are defaulted. Godaddy I type in the domain, enter name server information, uncheck the "spam me" boxes, click ok, uncheck more "spam me" boxes and hit "no thank you", uncheck more "spam me" boxes and uncheck more unwanted additional features. Keep this up for 2 or 3 more pages and I save 2-3 dollars. Sometimes I put up with it. Other times I do not. I sure won't use them for any of my main domains...

Good way to save a few bucks though, as long as you are careful.

ziandra, May 19, 2005 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    hehe, just saw it on TV. Do any other registrars have commercials?

Blogmaster, May 30, 2005 IP
  19. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    Interested in your views on GD, both as regards domain name transfer, and support.

I do not have Shoemoney's clout (I expect, Sir, that you could get a sweet deal where ever you chose to go!). In fact I am so clout challenged as to be cloutless; which fits in quite well with being clueless, ... but then, what are these forums for if not for enlightenment? :D

I have a host which charges me $25 mo., bandwidth I am nowhere close to using, and has yer basic scripts and stats, but which drives me up the wall when it comes to support, e.g., ...8 to 10 hours to respond to emails, and then its as if they willfully don't understand the question (maybe its the accent?).

GD has at least a telephone number. Is there anyone actually at the other end of the GD phone, and do they help?

tradefor, Jun 1, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I have purchased domains through GoDaddy... haven't actually used domain transfer with them, though.

Their hosting may be another matter... I have never used their hosting but I have seen more than a few complaints about hosting support and related issues.

minstrel, Jun 1, 2005 IP