1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GLOBAT.com is DOWN !

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by iluminatus, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    That's an interesting perspective. So what you're saying is if I'm a paying customer and lose a week's worth of access to my website (as I did), then the proper solution is to buy my own server and run my website from there, not hold the vendor who claims 99.9% reliability accountable?

It's not my fault that Globat is a moderately priced webhosting service. Just like it's not my fault they don't have proper contingencies in place to address failures which effect their entire network. Or offshore their customer help lines. Or bill customers for additional services without their authorization.

It is my fault though for giving them my money and trusting their word to run a reliable service.

Suburbanrancher, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  2. mammacat

mammacat Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    i don't know if any of that was directed at me, about people not actually being customers. I am a customer - my sites include www.stoopidhoomans.com (the one i was referring to about not working) and www.trulyfreebackgrounds.com and others.

I can't ftp into any of my sites now. They load on the internet but i can't update. I also can't log into my account on globats website in order to upload there.

Anyone else having this problem?

mammacat, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  3. imlen

imlen Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Globats ceo or whoever he is tells us that a Criticle Piece of Equiptment.
    went Grafoogalty without warning or anything.
    ok.
    i Guess so (something Happened for Sure)
    their uptime Statement Needs to Be Adjusted.
    obviously not 100 Percent Anymore.
    I am Just a Lowly Webmaster, Not a Trained Tech.
    or anything.. Like Some of the other People Posting Notes Here.
    but i am a Highly Trained Mechanic, and Have a Good understanding of
    Machinery.
    my Websites have Been up and Down For About two Weeks now
    heres how it goes.
    it starts with me visiting my sites and the ones i maintain for Clients.
    i would find that some or all of the sites were Down.
    i would then Contact Globats Support with the Live Chat Thingy they use
    tell them my sites Down Again.
    the Response was always the Same.
    they would say that we are aware of the Problem and your server needs to be Restarted, Sorry For the inconvenience your site should be Back up in a few Minutes.
    this exact Scenario Repeated ten Days in a row i would Complain Get the Same Response and the Sites Would Be back up in a Few Minutes.
    as a Person that understands Machinery in General it sounded to me that the server my stuff was on had a Problem that Needed attention and not just Restarted over and over. i started looking on google for other People that were having Problems With Globat it Would Seem That this thing i was experiencing was Happening to lots of other People.
    Well anyway my Point is that Maybe the Techs at Globat are not Very Good at Spotting trouble. i mean if a machine Keeps Shutting Down Maybe you Should Fix it instead of Just Turning it Back on over and over!

imlen, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  4. SanFrantastico

SanFrantastico Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You got me... it's true... I'm using HOLLYWOOD TECHNOLOGY at my workplace. My very famous routers have starred in such films as "My Network Didn't Crash," "I Can Use Forsight and Design a Network that Won't Crash My Site, ALL OF MY CLIENT'S SITES, My DNS Server, and MY Phone System if One Component Fails."

Yeah - 20/20 hindsight isn't much of a gift. Foresight is kinda nice to have, especially if you are in the bizness of keeping a network up. For an experiment you should black out your University's phone and internet for a day and see how long your job lasts. **laughter** Oh wait... ***more laughter*** They couldn't find a small switch to get their own website back up? They couldn't address the issue while it was ongoing with a message on their webpage?

By the way, it would cost around $450/month to run a T1 to my house, so thanks for the great solution that would cost 100 times more than globat. I think I'll go with a more middle ground solution and pay a little more money to work with a company that isn't a total turd.

For completeness, here's some other lameness by globat:

- Limiting the size of file uploads to under 130Mb. Their terrabyte deal isn't really that great when they make it practically impossible to upload that much data.

- Upgrading people proactively (and charging them) without consent. That's how I got in on their terrabyte 'deal' in the first place.

- Their email upgrade last year was an amateurish week from hell and yes I did lose messages during that time in addition to being out of contact for days at a stretch.

- Their lying about this event. They've had problems all week.

By the way they market themselves as "Always Up, Fast, and Easy" not "A Great Choice for Amateurs Because We Are Somewhat Clownish Ourselves."

SanFrantastico, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  5. wislander

wislander Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Nope, wasn't referring to you. BTW: are all your sites hosted on: fisher.globat.com [203.22.204.71]

Mine are all on Rhodes.globat.com, and all features are working perfectly..

You may want to let them know there are FTP issues with that server.

wislander, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  6. tagsvet

tagsvet Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0

tagsvet, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  7. wislander

wislander Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Actually a more accurate description would be if a building dropped of the network for a day; not an entire campus. They never claimed an entire city went off-line, they claimed the main switch for one data center location went down. Not having a spare on site is another issue. But yes, switches do go bad, and buildings do drop off the network from time to time. But when you have a half billion dollar technology budget, it is a little easier to have a few spare building routers/switches/gateways laying around.

Keep in mind Blackberry knocked almost a million subscribers off-line for 12 hours a couple weeks back, and they are a much bigger operation that Globat. Failures happen. I can deal with a one day outage every 5 years for as little as I am paying to use Globat's services.

wislander, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  8. SanFrantastico

SanFrantastico Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Not in terms of scale. Your university has about 50,000 students, faculty & staff. Globat claims to serve 100,000+ domains. And each domain serves many end users. So in terms of traffic I would be quite suprised if Globat wasn't serving much, much more info than your entire university, through a single switch.

Yeah - failures do happen and no one claims 100% up time. But a smart network engineer plans so that no one point of failure can be so damaging - impacting so many people for so long. And Blackberry blew it too.

SanFrantastico, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  9. joef71

joef71 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    After this outage, and one last week, I called Globat to cancel my account, as I was moving my domain elsewhere. The recorded message said "all operators are busy, refer to the Globat website to cancel your account". The web site says to call the 1-800 number...

joef71, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  10. PlayOnlineSoccer

PlayOnlineSoccer Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi, I had my www.playonlinesoccer.com website on globat.com. And just as we released a new version of our game, the following morning we found out our website was down. Many of our players were stranded, not able to upgrade to the new version, and therefore not able to log onto our dedicated server (which is run independently of globat.com), and were also unable to go to our website to find out what was happening. What a nightmare.

So I got new hosting at ixwebhosting.com, for far cheaper than the 50 bucks a month that globat now charge (originally i signed up for a $5/month deal with globat, amazing how things change over 2-3 years with them).

But then on to my second nightmare, since I had my www.playonlinesoccer.com domain registered at globat.com, I was unable to change the DNS servers. And even after globat has recovered, I got the message "This domain has been suspended." for my website ( http://iwojima.globat.com/~playonlinesoccer.com/ ). Furthermore I couldn't even log into my control panel to change any settings. I got the message: "Account has not yet been provisioned.".

Eventually I used their live chat thing, and told them to change my DNS.

So now my website is back working, but only because I purchased new hosting.

I've asked them to give me a .gz backup for my forum database. Which is the only thing I don't have locally.

PlayOnlineSoccer, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  11. UnreliableGlobat

UnreliableGlobat Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I just made this account to say..
    GARBAGE SON GARBAGEEEEEEEEE
    GARBAGEGLOBAT
    Where is the 99.9% uptime on the homepage now like at signup?
    Ben R. Neumann YOUR A NAZI
    TAKE MY MONEY AND RUN. MY MULTI MILLION DOLLAR WEB HOSTING COMPANY WENT DOWN CAUSE OF A SWITCHHHHHHH WHINE WHINE WHINE LIE LIE LIE.
    MY WEBSITES FOR A BUSINESS NOT FOR YOU TO TURN INTO A DOWNTIME CULT.
    "During those endless walks to and from the market, as I carried my grocery bags, I thought about how the people who had reached professional heights unknown to my mom and dad (or my family in general) helped each other."
    GO BAG MORE GROCERIES YOUR GARBAGE.
    I can't even post a comment on the globat.com main website in reply to his story about a network switch. WHY DID IT GO DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACe. YOUR GARBAGE SON THROW OUT YOUR COMPANY

UnreliableGlobat, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  12. Cameron [NetXHosting]

Cameron [NetXHosting] Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0

Wow, Calm down dude, It's a fricken web host...

Cameron [NetXHosting], Feb 23, 2008 IP
  13. UnreliableGlobat

UnreliableGlobat Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I pay for reliability not downtime. And many others registered with them feel the same.
    GARBAGE HOSTING SON GARBAGE

UnreliableGlobat, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  14. trutechosting

trutechosting Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    trutechosting, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  15. Globatstinks

Globatstinks Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Cameron Hicks
    NetXServers.com - GARBAGE
    ConnectHost.net - GARBAGE
    WHERES YOUR 99.9% NOW THAT YOU'VE BEEN DOWN ALL WEEK?

WORKS FOR GLOBAT DON'T SIGN UP TO THOSE SITES EITHER. HES GETS PAID TO MAKE GLOBAT.COM LOOK BETTER. GARBAGE GLOBAT SON GARBAGE. No response from globat.com in my email about this issue yet. what a horrible host. have to post in these forums to make themselfs look better.
    Cameron you posted like 20 replys so far. YOUR HOSTING IS GARBAGE SON NO WONDER NOBODY HEARD OF THOSE SMALL COMPANIES.

Globatstinks, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  16. trutechosting

trutechosting Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I still think that shared hosting should die, and people should just pay the extra few dollars for a vps....

trutechosting, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  17. Globatstinks

Globatstinks Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Since i've been with globat for four years not once have I talked to an American in the U.S. about the "automatic upgrade charges" What lamerssssssss

GARBAGE GLOBAT

18. Cameron [NetXHosting]

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Listen dude, If your gonna dis my companies then you can piss off and go somewhere else because we don't do this kind of shit at DP.

I wouldn't work for Globat in 1000000000000 years. I HATE oversellers.

And if your talking about me I have 99.98% uptime so please go shove your crap somewhere else.

I offered FREE hosting to Globat customers meaning I would LOSE money. I was trying to help out.

My companies aren't garbage at least they have uptime :)

Please, Go away and don't come back.

Bye. :cool:

Well that would be good, But not everyone knows how to run their own server, Nor do they have the money :)

19. Globatstinks

Globatstinks Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    http://www.netxservers.com/

18th December 2007 - The site and support system was down for 4 days. This has now been fixed. Thanks for your consideration.

ON YOUR FRONT PAGE. LEARN HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS. DEFEND GLOBAT.COM CAUSE YOU KNOW YOUR HOSTING STINKS AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THATS WHY YOU STARTED ANOTHER COMPANY. ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS LEFT!!!!!!
    now your connecthost.net

99.8 haha thats a horrible advertisement and who professionally says "DIS" in a statement anyways.

SUCK "DIS" AMATURE YOUR HOSTING BLOWS

20. Cameron [NetXHosting]

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yeah, It went down for 4 days, Boo hoo. NetXServers sells servers and ConnectHost sells hosting. Both have LOTS of customers. I didn't defend globat. 99.98% is better than Globat :eek:

I do 100% better than you ever could. Please go away and don't come back. Bye! :D