1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Giving Mods Ban Powers Is This A Good Idea

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by DJboutit2, Mar 19, 2012.

Is giving mods banning power on a forum a good idea. I know 2 forums where mods can ban people to me giving mods banning power is a big time mistake. On my forum I would would never allow mods to ban anybody, If a mod thinks someone should be banned they should pm the admin and state why that member should be banned then the admin makes there own decision not mods.

DJboutit2, Mar 19, 2012 IP
  2. p.caspian

p.caspian Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are right but when a forum become very big like DP or Warrior forum then its hard to maintain users only by Admins. Thats why the admins gives banning power to mods.

You can do whatever you like in your forum.

p.caspian, Mar 19, 2012 IP
  3. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Give mods banning powers is a mistake just waiting to blow up this why a forum should have like 2 or 3 admins & like 5 to 7 mods no more

4. the.wizard

the.wizard Member

Best Answers:
    yes is a good idea to give mod this privilege, if you need to negotiable with adin that you take some time and waste time since in this forum post and thread making got hundred a day or maybe a hours..

:D

the.wizard, Mar 19, 2012 IP
  5. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you give a mod ban powers a mod can ban like 20 members a day for anything spamming the forum to they just do not like that member. You can get power hungry mods that try to act like they are better for the forum the any admin when there not

6. Econox

Econox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you really trust the mods, then yeah go for it. However, generally I wouldn't do this myself. Mods can get power-hungry and become oversensitive and just begin banning those who don't agree with them. I've seen it happen a lot, so I would be wary of this.

Econox, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem with it. I was banned here on DP for a few weeks back in October, frankly I had it coming. :) I was stressed out about my old contract expiring at work,and basically came on here being very combatative.
    Got banned and it was a good call actually. Now I'm back and am a (hopefully) kindler,gentler member. I think the mods here are fair and I'm not too worried about them having "too" much power.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  8. Forum Topsite

Forum Topsite Peon

Best Answers:
    I trust my mods 100%, and will let them ban if they see fit. They also have respect for me, so they know that banning is an absolute last option, But generally spammers are banned imeadiatly without consulting me

Forum Topsite, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  9. Forum Topsite

Forum Topsite Peon

Best Answers:
    Please delete, double post :(

Forum Topsite, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  10. zero_ZX

zero_ZX Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I wouldn't grant my mods this power. Perhaps global moderators would get it. After all, those are trusted mods.
    In my forum We utilize the warning system, that automatically detects how many previous warnings the user has. What category they have been for, and then calculates the length of a ban/suspension/mod queue.

Any way, it's easy to check those things in the logs, which i presume you do often. Some people believe they join the moderating team to get a title, and not to complete a piece of work.

zero_ZX, Mar 24, 2012 IP
  11. MrSS

MrSS Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm in! I wanna give my opinion about this.

Giving ban power to a Moderator is a good step, for me. Though this question might be case to case basis. Good point been raised like if there (is) are spammers trolling around the forum. Let's say that moderator would soon or sometimes (very) sensitive to those who disobey or disagree with him. If that happened then the Admins know should get in to the picture. Also I think the banned member can freely appeal using the "Contact Us" page of forum to notify the Admin or the overall person in charge of the forum. I'm sure when they got the report, a proper investigation will be performed and once the account termination proven valid, the ban member got nothing to do with. And if that member want to be part of that forum again, registering another account and be more aware of rules and respecting leaders must be practiced. But if the moderator is proven he is doing power tripping / abusing his authority, a disciplinary action should be given like removing some moderating privileges, for worse, demotion.

MrSS, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  12. Alex210

Alex210 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on how large your forum is. Anyway, i wouldnt make someone a moderator, or a global moderator 'just like that'. I must have some trust in them. If one of them would ban someone for no reason, i would unban the member and at least remove the privileges of that moderator/global moderator. A mod also has rules to follow and if he dose not, he is out. I dont think a forum administrator would keep someone as a mod/global mod, if their actions would somehow, negatively affect the forum.

Alex210, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  13. PK-Host

PK-Host Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe that you should trust your mods to issue our warnings then only global moderators or administrators should be able to permenantly ban a user.

PK-Host, Apr 25, 2012 IP