1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Giving FTP access to someone for upload site..

Discussion in 'Security' started by Maui6996, Feb 7, 2007.

Hi,

I recently paid someone to redesign my site, and he's asking FTP access to my hosting company. Is it ok to give him this access or should I get all the files myself and upload them on my own?

Or does it make any difference? :(

Maui6996, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I would feel better doing it myself but then I am a very cautious hands on person. If you grant FTP access, suggest you change password before/after. All too many people use same password on multiple accounts (bad security move) so I would not want anyone to be able to discern any pattern in my passwords.

Smyrl, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  3. ajsa52

ajsa52 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can ask your hosting company to change your password, if that way you feel safer.

ajsa52, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  4. rllunzmann

rllunzmann Active Member

Best Answers:
    Umm you need to do 1 of these 2 scenarios:

1. provide a slimed-down FTP account with limited access to certain folders that he's working in.

2. download all your website files, zip em up, and send em. Thats the only way really.

rllunzmann, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  5. wormy

wormy Active Member

Best Answers:
    One thing you could do is backup all your files if possible and download them to your own PC. Then after he is done with his stuff make another backup and download that and do a compare on all the files(use a script dont go crazy doing it manually) and see if anything changed. If anything does have a different checksum look into it.

wormy, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  6. Ultimateseller

Ultimateseller Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree be carful granting people a free ride to mess up my site happend before now im a pro in Html so i do it all myself

Ultimateseller, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  7. scdc

scdc Peon

Best Answers:
    to compare your archives before/after upload you can use diff to see what was changed

scdc, Feb 10, 2007 IP