1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Give away products for free and hope for links?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Chris8080, Nov 11, 2015.

Hello,

I started an online store a while ago but it's really tough to get visitors.
    So one marketing campaign I was thinking about:
    I use some products (most of our products are for crafting and kind of cheap) and send them out for free. That all in hope of some links.

There are different approaches I guess:
    Contacting professional bloggers (as I see, there I'd need to throw more into the package to make them write about me shop)
    Sending it out to people who have a very small blog with a nice letter, maybe asking for a link directly.
    Creating one category with products for free and free shipping in the shop and hoping that people rave about it online (limiting the products one person can 'buy' for free).

Any thoughts on those ideas?
    Pros cons?
    I'd like to get some links, but they should come at least a bit natural (as much as this is possible with a reciprocal gift intention ;) )

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris8080, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  2. Richard_1979

Richard_1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    Giving away products can help you get listed on sites the TheFreeSite and RedFlagDeal.

But it might be cheaper to give away content. If you sell iPhone screens, write tutorials on how to replace your iphone screen. That sort of thing. The more elaborate and detailed your content, the more people will take notice and help spread the word.

What products do you sell exactly?

Richard_1979, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  3. Chris8080

Chris8080 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Plenty of DIY and crafting products.
    So the problem with content is, content that works needs to have nice pictures, a very good tutorial, maybe with video etc.
    For one great piece of content I'd probably spend 1 - 2 days + material.
    Giving away cheap products for free is way, way cheaper than producing content. Tough niche I guess ;)

Chris8080, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Who would want to review a cheap product, though? Only less serious bloggers, and links on these sites won't help you much.

dcristo, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  5. Chris8080

Chris8080 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly - so therefore I'm wondering about what to do.
    There might be a chance that people would just be happy and simply blog about that they received sth. from shop.com (doesn't make sense to review a button, but maybe just writing that one received one would be nice)
    Otherwise I'm open for other ideas ... ;)

Chris8080, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A content marketing strategy that included blogging and DIY youtube videos would be a good starting point.

dcristo, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  7. dwhswebhosting

dwhswebhosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah it's a good to do, better to give stuff to your customers than for marketing I always say. The trick is to get people to bite. We have tried to give away $100 several times no one would jump on board. I assume they think there is a catch or it's not real.

dwhswebhosting, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  8. vivek gururani

vivek gururani Member

Best Answers:
    Startups – Giving stuff away for free is the best marketing tool. This story demonstrates why Austin has been named the best American city for startups, according to a report by the Kauffman Foundation and the surprising second is Miami. The data is part of an infographic exploring Factors that Influence Startup Success. It reveals interesting facts and statistics relating to age, professional background and sectors as influences on the success or failure of a startup.

Source: Forbes Magazine

vivek gururani, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  9. Chris8080

Chris8080 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100% - that would be the best thing to do. Unfortunately we don't have the capital and resources for that. So therefore I was searching for a 'cheaper' approach.

I'd maybe simply sent letters with a gift inside, so that nobody has to do anything but receiving it. After they opened the letter, it's their turn in the reciprocal game.

Thanks - good to know. I was just looking for a bit more tailored ideas ;)

Chris8080, Nov 13, 2015 IP
  10. konstantinafkxxx

konstantinafkxxx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Exactly what he said.

By writing blogs about the products you make and sell in my opinion will give you more traffic than just giving them for free. In addition some of them might even buy your products when they read your blog posts, but if you give them for free you will lose at least the first time of buying the product.

konstantinafkxxx, Nov 13, 2015 IP
  11. Chris8080

Chris8080 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes - that works for expensive stuff (20 - 500 USD), few SKUs, products to write about because they're amazing or similar.
    But it's not a one fits all approach. In our niche most content from marketers don't work. We need good tutorials or videos. Producing those is way more expensive and time consuming than writing a long article or giving away products for free.

Chris8080, Nov 14, 2015 IP