1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

gif with transparency and real smooth edges?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Turpentine, Aug 18, 2006.

what is the secret to a gif with really good edges? Maybe if you want to be my friend tell me how to make them with shadows and transparency... I know png can do it but png does not work in IE unless you bust out major css scripts.

Turpentine, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  2. void

void Peon

Best Answers:
    Use the same background colour in the gif and web page (or one that's close). E.g. if you want to show a yellow triangle on a black page, don't start with a white background in photoshop and draw a yellow triangle with anti-aliasing - start with a black background instead.

If the background behind the gif varies a lot, try different shades of gray and see which one works best.

void, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  3. alterego85

alterego85 Peon

Best Answers:
    ^^ yeah, what that guy said. most of the transparent gifs appear blurry and aliased. try anti-alias function if there is any.

alterego85, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  4. liam

liam Guest

Best Answers:
    i agree with all the above. For a smooth gif the best way is to add anti-aliasing to the edges. This is a default option on programs such as Macromedia Fireworks. Then just export the png as a .gif file and add some alpha transparency to keep the background transparent.

liam, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  5. abcdefGARY

abcdefGARY Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm having the same problem here...

I have a watermark that I use for all my images but I don't know how to get the edges really smooth. Usually there is like some small pixels showing.

abcdefGARY, Aug 28, 2006 IP
  6. Turpentine

Turpentine Guest

Best Answers:
    So firworks is better for gifs than photoshop?
    that is interesting.

Turpentine, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  7. liam

liam Guest

Best Answers:
    have a look at my step by step on this post it explain how to get a gif with smooth edges and a transparent background:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=127452

liam, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  8. bkarnot

bkarnot Peon

Best Answers:
    If your graphic has a drop shadow on it, you can forget about a transparent gif. I'd recommend loosing the shadow and matting the colour to your background you want the colour to blend with. Photoshop or fireworks will do the same thing. Don't use a PNG on the web.

bkarnot, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  9. Beaver6813

Beaver6813 Peon

Best Answers:
    To keep all my transparent gifs smooth i just matte them with the approximate colour of the site. It puts a very very thing border around the image of that colour which smooths it out.

Beaver6813, Sep 1, 2006 IP