1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ghostscripter AWS

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by getsum80, Mar 19, 2005.

Can i carry any product amazon has on that one?
    Can make i make up my own category names
    I want to use the same set up of catagory products/brands that i have on lagunasurfshop.com

thank you

getsum80, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    You can set up your own categories from Amazon Nodes or by search terms. You can sell anything that you can sell through AWS - meaning stuff from sellers that haven't agreed to publish on AWS and give commissions is unsellable. They tell me there is a feature coming out in 5.0 to filter out unavailable products. There is a shopping cart built into GhostScripter so people don't need to leave your site except to check out. (and no amazon pop up to add to cart). 5.0alpha does used items, but it is still unstable.

nevetS, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    The admin control panel allows you to add your own categories. I hand entered all the categories on my sites (see sig). Basically, I kept a browser on Amazon's site in the category, and copied each node over to make the category.

5.0alpha also has a setting where it will automatically get all the sub categories of a category. Not sure when they are going to release 5.0. I started working with it, but I had enough issues with it to hold off. The way it is now, on third party products, it still shows unavailable in the description, but when you click on the product, it will show new/used options from third parties. If they don't change that, I plan on re-writing that code so that if third party is available, it shows in the products list of a category.

It's a good software product, well worth the $110 for the source version. To add additional stores on separate domains, he charges $10.00 per additional store.

GTech, Mar 19, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  4. getsum80

getsum80 Peon

Best Answers:
    So i can make up my own categories like say Quickilver T-shirts and just choose quicksilver t-shirt products that i find on amazon?
    Thanks
    sorry i am not tech at all yet

getsum80, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  5. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Yes...

You can do a "search category" so your search would be quicksilver t-shirts and the products would be the results.

You can then add products individually to that category if you see some that don't come up in your results. Or you can alternatively add an empty category and add products individually.

They have a demo up there that you can play with. http://demo.ghostscripter.com/amazon/adm/ (login/password: demo/demo)

You can't add custom categories in the demo, I don't think, but you can see the interface.

nevetS, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  6. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought ghostscriper was down? Or is there another way to get a membership or purchase scripts?

Juls, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  7. GTech

Best Answers:
    GTech, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    yeah. I e-mailed them about it. They are redesigning their site right now and hope to have a new one up soon. For now, you can purchase from the product page without a problem. I did it the other day. Support is via e-mail as their forum is down. I e-mailed them and they got back to me within a day.

I was also looking at this script: http://www.c3scripts.com/amazon/index.html - in the same price range, if you are concerned.

nevetS, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  9. getsum80

getsum80 Peon

Best Answers:
    does ghostscripter work on linux web sever?

10. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    yes, it does. I don't think there is anything OS specific in there, but I know for sure it works with Linux/apache/php.

nevetS, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  11. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    I bought the Ghostscripter script last week, but have not had too much time to play with it yet. I've e-mailed Craig at Ghostscripter about documentation, but have not seen a response as yet.

GTech and nevetS, it looks like both of you have some experience with this system. Do you know if there is any documentation or basic instructions available? The Admin area of the program tells you that you will find it in the Members area of the Web site, but the Members area is pretty sparse.

Also, did anyone install the new version? If so, how stable is it? GTech, it sounds like you found some issues.

TechEvangelist, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  12. GTech

Best Answers:
    I've never seen documentation. I don't think there is any, other than the install instructions. Out of the box, it's fairly easy to setup and very simple to use, IMHO. Customizing it was not easy. It took me a while to get into the code and see how things were working, working with the template files, etc.

I don't recall specific bugs in 5.x alpha. I did have to make a few fixes in the alpha to even get it working. It's been about two months ago, and I've built five websites since then (not pertaining to AWS), so I tend to forget the specifics. My biggest complaint (and it may not be a complaint with the code, just the way ECS is) is that for third party products, in the general product listing of a node, a third party product will show "not available" but if you click on the product link, it then shows an option to buy new/used from a third party. People are not going to know to do that. If it's not taken care of, I plan to rewrite it to see if a third party product is available and override that "not available" message.

GTech, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  13. getsum80

getsum80 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can i pay smeone to install for me if i buy ?

14. GTech

Best Answers:
    If they don't offer the service getsum, I'll have some time mid-week to install. PM me for details.

GTech, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  15. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so is it recommended as the best aws script?

this one mentioned http://www.c3scripts.com/amazon/index.html offers a multi-site license vs. ghostscripter single site license and the obvious difference of php vs perl/cgi.

I would love to hear your opinions about it.

Juls, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  16. GTech

Best Answers:
    Best is always subjective. It was best for me, because I needed:

1) PHP/mySQL solution
    2) Something that I could modify with my own design.
    3) A shopping cart built-in.

Putting number 1 and 3 together, there were not many choices. I wanted to create a store front and after weeks of searching off/on, I kept going back to GS. I've seen some AWS sites that I would love to know what script they were using, but was never any way to tell. Most likely custom ECS coding.

I wanted PHP because I know PHP (to a degree) vs Perl, and I've heard Perl is more resource intensive than PHP.

When I contacted Craig at GS about additional licenses, he said they were $10 for additional licenses, which was very reasonable to me.

GTech, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  17. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    definitely sounds good. ya the additional $10/site is nothing. :)

heh 90% sold.... now just need to figure out what i want to do.. ;-)

Juls, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  18. getsum80

getsum80 Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.c3scripts.com/amazon/index.html

the above one doesnt let you add to your shopping cart and continue shopping does it

like when u go to a product it just says buy now from amazon compared to ghost where u only go to amazon when you are ready to check out
    Am i right ?

19. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Here is the documentation. It's a little light, but the script is self explanatory for the most part.

http://www.ghostscripter.com/manuals/manual.php?PID=15

GTech - looks like you and I were in the same boat. The only thing I didn't like about that c3 script is the lack of a shopping cart. It does the "add to amazon shopping cart", but with so many pop up blockers out there, I didn't want to have to deal with the common question of "how do I buy anything".

I have a problem with the "Not available" thing as well. I'm just getting started, so I'm thinking about creating custom categories and coming up with a list of ASINs on my own. Craig says there is a filter in the 5.0 version coming out, but it was shaky enough that I'm going to use 4.x for now.

The mod-rewrite was a bit of a problem in 5.0 and I want to use mod-rewrite.
    My cached pages were still a little slow in 5.0 - could be a permissions issue, but I didn't troubleshoot it much before I moved to 4.x.
    There are now "buy it now" links, so you have to put those in the templates yourself if you want.
    Auto-Add deals and hot items didn't work in 5.0
    Version Check does not show version in 5.0
    A few files have invalid file names in 5.0 (spaces or & symbols) - which is not too difficult to fix, but a PITA when you are trying to upload the whole site.
    The mode sort in 5.0 didn't have a valid list. (maybe it was empty, that's just what my note says)
    Bug report link goes to a dead site right now in both versions, but they are in the middle of a re-design, so we just have to be patient.

I started to ask for a refund, but then I realized that most of my problems were 5.0 specific. (I'm always trying to use the latest stuff). I don't know of any other PHP/MySql option with a shopping cart. I was going to roll my own, but it's worth $100 to save myself weeks of time.

nevetS, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  20. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    getsum80, you are correct. ghostscripter aws script incorporates the new aws features which allows you to add products to your own shopping cart before checking out through amazon.com. the other script just forwards you right away to amazon per product. so based on this comparison the ghostscripter version is better.

;-)

Juls, Mar 20, 2005 IP