1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting Started with Web Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Null_R, Aug 14, 2022.

Hey y’all,

I’m looking to start a career in web development. I already have some knowledge of programming (taken a few basic courses on C++) and am looking for somewhere to start learning about coding websites. Do any of you have any recommendations on online courses to help me get prepared/certified for a career in web development; I’m looking for ones that are relatively inexpensive and would help me to get a foot in the door?? Please and Thank you

Null_R, Aug 14, 2022 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi

If you were in NZ I'd suggest signing up at one of the zero fees education centres that provide job placement at the end of the course. Is anything like that available in your country?

There are definitely online courses you can do but you need to talk to a recruitment company about the certifications that are respected by the employers they represent. It's a good discussion to have anyway, they'll tell you if local demand is high for PHP, angular, react, mobile etc and let you focus your attention accordingly.

You don't necessarily need certifications, a course from udemy etc might do the trick. If you want to freelance or have an employer lined up.

Building up a portfolio is important and even if you're doing a formal course, or working at that first job, you need to be spending evenings working on additional learning through portfolio projects.

sarahk, Aug 14, 2022 IP
  3. Null_R

Null_R Peon

Best Answers:
    That is wonderful advice, thank you!

I live in the US, so i do not know if there are any zero fee education centres, but I'll certainly start looking now. Do you have any recommendations as to how to find suitable recruitment agency?

Also, what kind of projects look best in a portfolio? Should I focus on getting as much varied projects as I can, or would it be better to focus on as single type of project but with different variations?

Null_R, Aug 14, 2022 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Go to wherever you'd find jobs - even LinkedIn might do, find a company that is advertising jobs that you think you might want - one day - they might be intermediate or senior roles. Call one of them. If the call doesn't go well think about what you'd change when you call the next one, words, manner etc. Explain that you're getting into web design or web development (they're different things) and that you are interested in what makes an ideal candidate. Let them rabbit on. Make notes.

They'll talk to you because they want you to come to them in 12 months' time to actually get a job. If they're rude or dismissive then just move on to the next.

Years ago I was newly arrived in London, I found some recruiters, and made a shortlist. I picked the worst ad on my shortlist and called them - thinking that by the time I got to the best company I'd have my spiel sorted. Ironically that recruiter kept me busy for 2 years so I never made it further but it's still a strategy I endorse.

sarahk, Aug 14, 2022 IP
    cronik likes this.
  5. animaki

animaki Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you'd better start with PHP. And Wordpress can create serious business opportunities.

animaki, Aug 28, 2022 IP
  6. Andrzej Wilczynski

Andrzej Wilczynski Member

Best Answers:
    If you are serious about programming, stay away from WordPress. It will be a distraction. Once you know PHP and relational databases, then you can easily do WordPress. You should also look at JavaScript and depending on direction you may consider Python and / or Java. If PHP is a main direction then it is necessary to look at frameworks for that, at the moment it should be Laravel.

Andrzej Wilczynski, Sep 27, 2022 IP
  7. jackreacher

jackreacher Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are many online courses and resources available for learning web development. Here are some recommendations to get you started:

1. FreeCodeCamp: FreeCodeCamp is a non-profit organization that offers a comprehensive curriculum for learning web development for free. It covers everything from HTML and CSS to JavaScript and React, and also provides practical experience with projects and challenges.

2. Udemy: Udemy is an online learning platform that offers many web development courses. The courses are taught by industry experts, and you can often find sales that offer courses at a discount. Look for courses that cover the fundamentals of web development, such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

3. Codecademy: Codecademy is an online learning platform that provides interactive coding lessons. It has courses on a variety of programming languages, including HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Codecademy offers both free and paid courses.

4. Coursera: Coursera is an online learning platform that partners with universities and organizations to offer courses on a variety of topics, including web development. You can find courses on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and more. While many courses on Coursera are paid, some offer financial aid to those who qualify.

5. The Odin Project: The Odin Project is a free and open-source curriculum for learning web development. It covers everything from the basics of web development to more advanced topics like database management and Ruby on Rails.
    When looking for courses, be sure to read reviews and research the course content to make sure it covers what you need to know. While certifications can be helpful, they are not always necessary to get started in a career in web development. Building a strong portfolio of projects and experience can be just as valuable. Good luck on your journey to becoming a web developer!

jackreacher, Feb 20, 2023 IP
  8. Joseph Mack

Joseph Mack Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazing Information! Thanks for sharing such great information about web design. But How I Become a React Developer.

Joseph Mack, Feb 23, 2023 IP
  9. Brian Ray

Brian Ray Peon

Best Answers:
    Well described the tutorial, very helpful.

Brian Ray, Mar 2, 2023 IP
  10. mertongosdin

mertongosdin Peon

Best Answers:
    Udemy Free is the best Udemy free online courses, 100% off coupon code. Use these udemy free coupon and get udemy paid courses for free with certificate, Free Udemy Courses added daily. Look for courses that cover the fundamentals of web development, such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
    https://www.udemyfree.eu.org

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    mertongosdin, Mar 10, 2023 IP