1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting started in databases

Discussion in 'Databases' started by bernn, Apr 9, 2012.

I'm not a complete computer amateur, in the past I have studied a fair bit of sql, vb.net, php, etc.... nonetheless I have never had the opportunity to use any of this in an actual real world website.
    Now I have decided I really should step up and I want to make a website with a database...and I've no clue where to start.

I am assuming that making a database the easy way with microsoft access is out?
    I've looked into something called web matrix but it seems more trouble than its worth. Lots of little niggles. Even renaming a table or creating a relationship is difficult ; to rename I had to do a query!
    I've also heard mysql is the typical thing online but...I've no idea how on earth people use this. You make your database purely via sql in a text editor and it draws on it online?
    The database I have in mind is quite a complicated one. A list of users, a list of countries, a list of areas of those countries and various different bits of data which should only pop up if a user picks one country or another....so the simpler the simple stuff is the better really. Just figuring out the database in my head requires a lot of thought! Though yes, I should learn to walk before I run so just getting some basics up and running so far would be good- I'm just worried I might head down a dead end getting my basics done and make something which is utterly useless when I want to do things properly

So....yes.
    Where should I be starting for figuring out how to cobble together a heavily database drawn website?
    I'm not doing any e-commerce or anything serious here, its mostly just a learning experience/bit of fun for myself, so getting the best stuff is not important at all. Nonetheless I do want to figure things out- my university taught me nothing useful.

bernn, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  2. javamazon

javamazon Active Member

Best Answers:
    javamazon, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  3. Iann@LFCVPS

Iann@LFCVPS Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL is the generally advised engine to start with in your position. Here's what you're going to want to do. Get MySQL installed, get a webserver installed (Apache/IIS) and get PHP installed. Once you have all of those installed and working, go grab a copy of PHPMyAdmin and install it in a web accessible location. Now, you have a way, through your browser, to visually create/modify/update your databases. I know I'm simplifying the steps here but that's the basic overview that you want to start with. Once you have your database in place and have a structure you're happy with, it's time to start writing code to make use of this data. Good luck!

Iann@LFCVPS, Apr 27, 2012 IP