1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting players to a text based mmorpg?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by TromS, Apr 19, 2013.

Hey guys! I run a few text based game sites like torn city and bootleggers (google them). They can be quite popular and profitable, but I don't have that many players on my games yet. Does anyon here have experience marketing these kind of games?

TromS, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  2. xtmx

xtmx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting users to play a brand new PBBG is HARD!! I speak from experience.

Advice:

1. Use a custom-coded base with custom features. Users don't want to see the same game twice, even if the layout is pretty.
    2. Submit your site to topwebgames.com, browsermmorpg.com, and bbgsite.com.
    3. Don't have crappy art on the front page, or getting users will be an uphill battle.
    4. HAVE art and content on the front page, not just a layout and text.

By the way, have you considered making a game with a existing fan base? I tried that once, did very little marketing, and had 80 users online at all times.

xtmx, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  3. TromS

TromS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Number two is NOT worth it (for anyone reading). It certainly doesn't get you any new players. If anything it directs your players attention towards other games.

What do you mean existing fanbase?

TromS, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:

That's a good question lol... I will have to poke around a bit but that is a pretty specific demographic and it does in fact exist.

I am a tad swamped for a bit but I would like to pass along a few ideas once I flesh a few things out.

I will drop a note here or send a pm asap.
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  5. xtmx

xtmx Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the existing fanbase:
    To clarify, I meant making a game off an existing IP. My game I was referring to was a site for people who liked neopets, but hated the community. Neopets allows use of their art on fansites.
    Now that I think of it, that's probably not a very good idea.

For number two:
    I remeber getting players from those sites. Your traffic increases after you submit it, and if your game is any good, some of the visitors will stay. Some of the best members I've ever had came from a link I put in a flash game I submitted to Newgrounds (not for the Neopets fansite).

Oh, here are more tips:
    1. Have a referral system with worthwhile prizes (not any RMT items, though)
    2. Google Adwords is your friend. I had a 46% sign-up rate on an ad I created using a $100 credit. PBBGs have an above average conversion rates for Adwords.

xtmx, Apr 20, 2013 IP